FS Feeler: Rare Ibanez Musician "EQ Bass" MC900NT unlined fretless as played by Sting

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by rogerbmiller, Jan 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Considering the sale of another bass that took me forever to find and has been in my collection for ages.

This a pretty unusual Ibanez Musician "EQ Bass" in unlined fretless with dot markers at most of the half steps, just like the model Sting used to play live with the police.He even used to endorse them. See here: http://www.ibanezwiki.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=131222

This is a pretty rare Musician in that it has a light colored top wood, something I have not seen. Most I have seen, including the ones pictured with Mr. Sumner below are solid body wings. This one has ash facings over a mahogany wings. Maple neck with beautiful figuring through body.

Electronics feature two pickups, 3 band EQ (hence the nickname) as well as master tone, volume, a premap gain knob and pickup selector.

In short this bass is a classic and classy custom quality build with Japanese forward-thinking innovation common of the period.

Bass is overall in good shape and fingerboard is very clean. A couple of noticeable dings as pictured, and one of the tuning gear caps is missing. Overall a great looker and a 10 as far as playability and tone.

Note that the prior owner of this bass stripped the pickups of their Brown finish to show the silver. I think this looks great but I also have an as-new extra set of the original pickups that I will be including with this bass in case you want to restore it to "stock" aesthetics. I will post pics of the extra pickups ASAP.

As for price, I was thinking $1200 or best offer for the bass, shipped with the extra set of pickups.

Enjoy the pics below and feel free to PM if you have any questions or offers.

Thanks.

RBM

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

This is an MC900 model. the 900 is a 22 fret (okay 22 semitone fretless), and two volume knobs.
    The 924 is a 24 fret (24 semitone) model, and has three volume knobs.
    Built Feb 1980 by the serial. Very cool.
  3. bassteban

bassteban

Sweet- I recently snagged an RT-824 and can vouche for the build quality. Please tell us you did not install those strings... ;)
  4. The Bartender

The Bartender

Bump because...
    I thought this was such a cool bass I did some research too.
    I believe this is an "NT" (natural finish) model and not a "DS" (Dark Stain Finish) as your listing states (no biggie of course but I enjoyed doin a bit of research)

GLWTS!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. rogerbmiller

I stand corrected then. Thanks for all the fine points. I never could find much info on this variation of the bass Will update the listing accordingly when I get to my desk later.
  7. rogerbmiller

Listing has been corrected. Also, weight comes in at 10.4 lbs on the bathroom scale. This seems high to me because my back is way tweaked and this thing doesn't bother me, but I will assume the bass is just very well balanced and the numbers don't lie. I have a pic on the scale showing the weight which I will post in a minute so stay tuned.
  8. rogerbmiller

Here is the bass at it's fighting weight.

[​IMG]
  9. Achille

Achille

back in the eighties I had a mc 940 DS, bought new to copy that look as we were playing Police covers... Sting was of course using a customized version, different type of woods for sure. a great looking bass, I still regret i sold it!
  10. rogerbmiller

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.