1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

FS: Fender N3 5 String Pickups and deluxe preamp

Discussion in 'For Sale: Accessories' started by M Sterling, Dec 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. M Sterling

M Sterling Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    54   0   0

I just had the pickups and preamp in my 2012 American Deluxe Jazz Bass V replaced, so I'm selling the stock electronics. They were professionally removed.

The pickups are in great condition with some of the logo having been rubbed off. They work perfectly. The preamp is also in perfect condition, however I kept the active passive toggle wired up in my bass. You can either install a new toggle or a push/pull pot for the active/passing switching. This would be easy and cheap for any tech to do.

I'm looking to get $100 for the pups and $80 for the pre. Prices are shipped in the ConUS. Pics coming soon. Please let me know if you have any questions!
  2. M Sterling

Rating - 100%
    54   0   0

3. M Sterling

Rating - 100%
    54   0   0

4. M Sterling

Rating - 100%
    54   0   0

5. vxjoe

vxjoe

0   0   0

I am after the active/passive pre amp which has the passive tone control. I do not see the A/P switch but it looks like the right preamp. Please advise. I suppose the switch and the control plate were used in the upgrade?
  6. M Sterling

Rating - 100%
    54   0   0

I kept the a/p switch installed in my bass, but it is that pre.

This one is sold anyway, pending payment.
  7. M Sterling

Rating - 100%
    54   0   0

8. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0

Take a look at the Reggie Hamilton service diagram and the MIM deluxe J service diagram. The differences are the A/P switch, the output jack, the pot on the PC board, and a resistor between the volume pot and the preamp board ground. The deluxe has a single level pot and the RH has a double stacked pot plus the extra com0ponents to work the A/P function.

AFAIK, you have to buy the deluxe pre, then replace the pot with the RH to get it up to able to switch A/P. The Deluxe pre is usually available on ebay, complete with the 2 other pots the ribbon cables attach to. You will then need to locate and buy the 4th pot which I think is the blend. The only place I've found the stacked pot to replace the preamp pot on the deluxe board is from Daren Riley. Sorry I can't be more certain, I don't have any diagrams or parts in front of me so I'm working strictly from memory.

I've been looking at doing one of these for quite a while and have two Deluxe preamps and the rest of the set for a jazz. I also have the pot, switch, jack, and resistor, to convert one to the RH which features the A/P switch. If I ever get a minute to get in to it, I'm going to replace the pot in one of my preamps so I can have the A/P option.

Another alternative is buying a complete American active setup from ebay seller the stratosphere. The later model American active rigs cone with the A/P switch as well. They usually have a complete rig (with guard and pups) for around $200~$250.

You could buy one, get what you need, and part out the rest and may bring it in at a reasonable cost for what you need.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.