FS Fender P bass 1978 fretless

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by philbone, Nov 10, 2012.

1. philbone

philbone

My name is Phil Soussan and I have been bass player for many including Jimmy Page, Ozzy, Billy Idol, Vince Neil, Steve Lukather, Richie Kotzen and others.

In 1978 I bought this bass, new, from a music store in London.

It is a natural finish model that had a maple lacquered fingerboard but as such I did not like the sound that it had. I felt that the fretless attack was not growly enough and it seemed flat. Natural wood always seemed to always sound better, so I had a luthier sand the fingerboard back and laminate a beautiful piece of fine hard ebony onto the new surface resulting in a much better and pronounced sound. My original studies were on the violin so I wanted that type of response.

As was the practice back then, I also switched the flimsy P bridge for one of the Badass II bridges. Finally the addition of a J pickup and replacement of the original pickup for EMG pickups.

In other words it has several enhancements to the original.

The bass has been fantastic and used on many sessions and occasionally live, and I am now selling some instruments to make room for others. I have been advised to ask a premium for this instrument because the bass is so unique and because there is a Name Artist history involved, but I am certainly open to reasonable offers.

Guitar Center has just made an offer for their Artist Owned Platinum section and I want to see if anyone wishes to buy this fine instrument outside of the open deal. I am now pricing this at $2000.

The condition is very good, a surface blemish on the back at about 5 o'clock and a blemish under the guitar close to the jack, but no lifted lacquer. Needless to say the instrument is striking! I am always asked about it both by musicians and by others whenever I use it. The bass does not come with a case.

Thank you for looking and please feel free to make an offer or to ask any questions!

Phil

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. morrisonhendrix

morrisonhendrix Supporting Member

Nice bass Phil. I've always enjoyed your playing. Good luck with the sale and here's a free bump.

3. philbone

philbone

Thank you ! I just added another picture that shows the fingerboard joint.

4. joebar

joebar Supporting Member

free bump for bass with celebrity provenance

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. philbone

philbone

So I have just been offered $1800 for this by Guitar Center; they valued it as a unique instrument that was owned by myself (!) at $2800.
    I am going to leave it up here for a few more days to see if anyone is interested in buying my bass and wants to make an offer.

Thanks!

Phil

7. BrickBat66

BrickBat66 Banned