SOLD FS: Fodera Anthony Jackson Presentation #9

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by jsbarber, Dec 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jsbarber

jsbarber Supporting Member

Yes, this was formerly Anthony Jackson's personal instrument prior to his current bass, #10. Here are the spec's as I understand them to be: 36" scale, 5A solid hand carved Chestnut top, Alder body, Pink Ivory fingerboard, Chestnut heel block, 5-piece neck with purpleheart stringers, custom dual coil pickup wired to the jack, semi-hollow chambers, 28 vintage frets. Mr Jackson has autographed the instrument on the rear of the headstock.

I'm posting some photos I just took, as well as a PDF file that contains some "TheGrooveShoppe" webpage screenshots that discussed this instrument when I bought it and some images of webpages from the Fodera site when it depicted this instrument (both on the home page, as well as in the signature instrument section). I won't expound with superlatives, you already know...

The price is $15k, buyer to pay shipping & insurance. Continental US sale only. I must receive complete payment, preferably by wire transfer, prior to shipment.

Jim

Attached Files:

2. jsbarber

I am having trouble with the PDF. So here are more photos. If I can figure out why the PDF won't upload then I'll upload it.

Attached Files:

3. jsbarber

More photos, head - front and rear.

Jim

Attached Files:

4. jsbarber

I can't load the whole PDF because it it too big. Here are the first two pages.

Attached Files:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jsbarber

Here is a Screen Shot of the earlier version of the Fodera website.

Attached Files:

7. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Jim, I can't believe you're selling this bass. It is such an amazing piece -- Someone will end up with a very special instrument!

8. ono69

ono69

it's a pity to let it leave your house

9. rogerwilliamsen

rogerwilliamsen

I have a presentation custom with similar specs. (Only with two dualcoils.) It is the perfect for bass. i would buy this bass without a doubt. The price is what the recipe for a GAS-free life costs. Lucky buyer.

10. J.Wolf

J.Wolf

Disclosures:
    Director of Advertising, Bass Gear Magazine
    my official vote for nicest bass ever. Not that its spec'd right for me, but dayum, talk about the creme de la creme

11. jsbarber

12. DELACIUS

DELACIUS

Someone please buy this bass. :)
    I can't stand this anymore

13. Acoop

Acoop

My Breath She's Taken.

14. Hot Pocket

Hot Pocket

15. jsbarber

The wood choices in this instrument are somewhat exotic, perhaps, so I thought I would provide some reference posts by Jason (Just Thumpin') from the Fodera Club threads that might help clarify what to expect from the instrument:

Here is his commentary on Pink Ivory for fingerboard wood:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/fodera-club-part-xiii-882149/index17.html#post12745178

And here is something he had to say regarding the Chestnut tone block:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/fodera-club-part-xv-916498/index35.html#post13372485

Here is an excerpt from an interview article with Anthony Jackson, where he discussed the history of his 6 String Contrabass Guitars:

"The first Presentation, No. 7, made with decent but not great materials, worked out very well. We did a lot of work on No. 8, replacing the alder body and maple top with an ash body and various tops; No. 9 was even better."

Jim

16. MarkA

MarkA Registered Schmoozer. Supporting Member

This is out of the league that's out of my league, but it is a commanding bass -- I'm sure sonically as well as visually.

Does AJ always run his pickups straight to the jack? One interesting side effect, visible in the back picture, is how small the electronics cavity is -- not only less stuff in the signal chain, but less wood removed from the bass to make room for it.

17. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Media:
    Wow, just wow!

18. jsbarber

As far as I'm aware, Anthony Jackson prefers a single pickup wired straight to the jack. So there really are no electronics in the cavity, just the two wires from the pickup that connect to the terminals on the connector. (There is a photo in the second PDF file in post #4 above.)

Jim

19. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

If I had the cash I would buy this in a heart beat!

20. jsbarber

Regarding the issue of in-bass electronics, here is a comment made by Mr. Jackson in an interview:

"on No. 6, we tried a high-quality integrated circuit in the active electronics, and it did sound better at first. But while A/B-ing the sound of the instrument active and passive one day on a Reggie Lucas session at Quantum Studios in Union City, New Jersey, I heard a difference; there’s high distortion even with the $75 IC. I decided that was it for onboard electronics. To properly power a really good preamp you need a big, hot-running AC transformer, not two 9-volt batteries."

Jim

21. MarkA

MarkA Registered Schmoozer. Supporting Member

I found and read that interview just now - very cool read with some nice historical insights.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.