1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

FS/FT: 1963 Gibson EB-0

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by JayDA, Nov 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JayDA

JayDA

Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0

I have a new Birdsong about ready to ship, so I guess it's time to part with this baby. I've had this about 4 years, and I'm kind of attached to it...but something has to give. I originally bought this because I was looking for a solid original one to refinish. I decided never to go through with it, because I just liked the mojo it had in it's current state.

The GOOD:
    There are no cracks or breaks at all, and the original frets have plenty of life in them. It comes with the original beat up cardboard case and the headstock face and Gibson inlay are original. The serial number is barely visible, (123XXX) and from what I was able to tell, dates to 1963. The headstock is solid, never been broken, no cracks or breaks at all anywhere. The tuners are original, with the exception of one ferule. The G string tuner has a repair, but is fully functional. Everything else with the exception of the pots/jack and knobs are completely original. The pickup is stock and reads 29.7K on my meter. It's wearing LaBella flats and sounds killer, a nice big warm woody THUMP. It's really easy to palm mute when playing with a pick, has a great warm muted sound that way.

The BAD:
    - Some fool sanded it down and refinished it with what looks to be polyurethane of some type, it's very thin whatever it is. I think it's actually kind of cool looking in a "relic" sort of way. It's not smooth, you can feel the grain of the wood through the finish. Two luthiers I had look at it said it would be an easy refinish because the prep work would be minimal.
    - The pickguard has some cracking issues around the screws, but is solid, and I saw no need to mess with it.
    - It's missing two of the clay dots on the side of the fretboard

I'm looking for $750 shipped, it will be over packed and insured. Feel free to make offers, the worst I can say is no. Trades...short scale basses, Hartke HyDrive 4x10, Higher wattage heads, Mics/studio equipment, MAYBE the right Fender P Bass. The top two photos I took last night, the rest came from the original seller when I bought it. I would be happy take pics of anything an interested party would like to see.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  2. basskababble

basskababble Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0

Wow. Here I am busting a mission and spending just as much. Bump for a great deal. Hopefully goes to a player not a flipper.

Is it cherry or brown?
  3. map34157

map34157 Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    73   0   0

4. JayDA

JayDA

Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0

It really is a great player, I would keep it if I didn't need the cash right now. It definitely looks more cherry to me, just not a shiny gloss "thick" finish anymore. It could be the original finish worn to hell for all I know....I'm only going by what I was told when I bought it.
  5. JayDA

JayDA

Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0

Sold...that was fast, closing thread.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.