1. A Supporting membership is required to post items for sale in the classifieds

2. Classifieds Rules, Usage Agreement, and FAQ

New posts to classifieds threads will only bump the thread once every 24 hours. Posts made before 24 hours since the last bump, will not bump the thread.

To mark your thread sold, edit the title and choose the "SOLD" prefix. See the FAQ for more info

FS/FT: 1991 Jackson Futura XL (MIJ)

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by narwhale, Nov 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. narwhale

narwhale Supporting Member

I've owned this bass for a couple of months, but it turns out I just can't bond with the sound. I may just be too traditional, and it seems that any benefits of active electronics or even a bridge pickup are lost on me (I traded my Tribute L-2000 for the same reason). So my loss can be your gain!

Judging by the amount of info I could find online, these are pretty rare. There hasn't been one for sale on TB in 2 years. Here's what I know:

- Made in Japan in 1991. It must be one of the earliest ones, as apparently they didn't show up in catalogs until 92.
    - Very high quality neck-through construction with ebony fretboard. Playing this bass is like driving a luxury car. Low action. Currently strung with D'addario Chromes. It's probably one of the best basses I've played.
    - The serial number ends with a W , which indicates a wide neck. It's still very comfortable to me and doesn't seem too big, but it's closer to a P than a J so keep that in mind.
    - Jackson P/J PUs with active bass & treble controls, blend knob, and volume. Very versatile.
    - I'd say it's in very good condition. There is one spot near the jack where it looks like the previous owner ran into something (I never saw it until I was taking pictures), but other than that it's in amazing condition for a 20 year old bass.
    - Will ship in a well-padded Fender gigbag.

As far as trade ideas go, I'm really more interested in guitars right now. By approximate interest level, here are some ideas:

- Japanese Les Paul/Gibson styles (Tokai, Greco, Epiphone Elite, etc) or cheaper Gibsons.
    - Fenders (MIJ, MIA, Jazzmasters, Jags, maybe a Strat?)
    - Other cool classic/vintagey stuff (ala Gretsch, Rickenbacker, strange non-pointy things)
    - As far as basses, if you have an MIJ Precision (50s, 60s, etc) or something else vintagey let me know.
    - Feel free to send me an offer even if you have something not listed above. The worst I can say is no.

Cash going either way will be fine for the right deal.

As far as selling, I'd like to see $500 PP/ shipped.

Please let me know if you have any questions or would like to see better pictures. I'd be happy to give you any details (I don't like surprises, and I bet you don't either!).

Link to some pictures. Please message me if you would like to see more.
    [​IMG]
  2. narwhale

Price drop! All PMs responded to, and this is still available.
  3. amimbari

amimbari

I have been collecting Jacksons for 20 years, never heard of a W in the serial. it should be J1_ _ _ _ _ << the last digit cant be a W.

from the one pic in your album it looks like J10071(something)but the string is covering the last digit.

although all jap units are similar, here's my 1994 Futura serial.

[​IMG]
  4. narwhale

Interesting. There's definitely a W, but I think it's apart from the serial number (closer to the G string). I'll take a better picture of it. It must be pretty rare if you've never seen it before! Thanks for the info.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. amimbari

amimbari

please do take a pic close up, if there is such a thing out there I would be very interested in showing that to some more Jackson fans I hang out with on the various forums.

The W if that is what it really is cannot mean "wide neck" - there was no such thing. Chances are it was a stamp error and the digit is just distorted or some numbnutz was drunk who was stamping the FB with the digits as they would not have had a stamp with a W on it laying around just to press into a neck randomly. Although the futura is what the Winger came from, W does not mean Winger either...lol

Good luck selling your XL. My Futura in the same color, but in lefty. ( one of the only ones I have ever seen )
    [​IMG]
  7. narwhale

This one is traded, but here's a pic for amimbari. Hopefully he won't tell me that this makes the bass 5 times as valuable :p
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.