1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

FS/FT: Epiphone 5120 Hollowbody Bass MIJ 70s Matsumoku

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by mordechai, Jun 9, 2013.

1. mordechai

mordechai Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    36   0   0

Epiphone '70 - '71 5120 fully hollow bass. This is the earlier version before the more common EA-260. Besides some hardware differences, it is most noted by it's subtle red burst instead of flat red look.

The Good:

Sets up and plays awesome with good action up and down the neck
    All electronics work as they should

The Bad:

Floating bridge was changed to a stud mount bridge, which is set lower to the body than the original was. In addition, the pickup mounting rings were swapped. So the thicker ring is closer to the neck and vice versa. There is also a very well made maple shim, raising the neck up. About one inch of loose binding in the cutaway on the bass side, but only one edge of the binding is loose so it is invisible from the front.

So it's a real double edged sword. These basses are known for the body around the neck pocket cracking, but this bass is fine in that regard. Even without the crack, they are not known for having especially great action or being very adjustable in the upper register. I suspect that is why the previous owner had the work done. All work appears to be done very professionally.

It seems like it would be relatively easy to restore to original if one desired and had a proper bridge.

Photo album:
    http://s727.photobucket.com/user/mordechaister/library/epiphone5120?sort=3&page=1

Sorry for the dark photos, I will get some better ones when it is light out.

I'm going to put this on eBay on a day or two when I get some better photos, but I figured I'd give folks here a shot first.

Let's say $300 OBO shipped in the CONUS

PM if interested or with any questions.
  2. mordechai

Rating - 100%
    36   0   0

3. mordechai

Rating - 100%
    36   0   0

4. mordechai

Rating - 100%
    36   0   0

price drop to $350
  5. mordechai

Rating - 100%
    36   0   0

down to $300, make me an offer
  6. mordechai

Rating - 100%
    36   0   0

will entertain trades if it's something easily flippable.
  7. crosswalk71

crosswalk71

0   0   0

I know this is about 6 months late, but did you sell this or is it still available?