1. Classifieds Rules, Usage Agreement, and FAQ

A Supporting membership is required to post items for sale in the classifieds

New posts to classifieds threads will only bump the thread once every 24 hours. Posts made before 24 hours since the last bump, will not bump the thread.

FS/FT : Fender Jazz Bass w/ Upgrades (MIA)

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Wiegraf, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Wiegraf

Wiegraf Supporting Member

Hey all,

/edit (7/23/14) ** - - For sale ($$) only! - - **

Just putting this out there. Not too excited to sell but here she is.

American made Fender Jazz Bass (2006?) S-1 switch.

/edit: This bass is made in 2004-2005.

Upgrades: Badass II Bridge, Lindy Fralin J-Bass pickups.

Solid condition, some road wear, pics included. Playability and sound are the standard A+.

1250$ Shipped CONUS only.

Trades.. Lookin for something cool.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Das it mayyne.
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2014 at 7:41 PM
  2. Wiegraf

3. bassman28

bassman28 Supporting Member

4. stodgers

stodgers Supporting Member

I could be mistaken, but judging from the age, finish, and S-1 switch, wouldn't this be a Highway One bass, not an MIA?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Wiegraf

I have no idea what a highway one bass is. I thought MIA meant made in America. New TB poster here.
  7. WilsonMusic

WilsonMusic Slap the bass, you must Supporting Member

A hwy 1 is American....but its a little different. If it has string through body bridge, its the American standard jb.
  8. stodgers

A Highway One is assembled in the USA from parts made in the Mexico (could be vice versa?). They have a nitro (not gloss) finish, and the BadAss bridge came stock. Wilson is correct that they were not string-thru where true Americans are. For a couple of years, they had an S-1 switch. I have one of the first year's run, and I would say it is right up there with the other Jazzes I own in terms of playability, but the original pickups were terrible, and one shorted out after one year of ownership. You were smart to put in the Fralins; I put Lollars in mine.

They retailed for about 2/3 the price of a true MIA; a Mex is about 1/2 the price of MIA. I got mine new for the price of a Mex though.
  9. jazzyitalian

jazzyitalian Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Lawyer & Hobbist Bass Maker
    Okay so stodgers, if I understand you correctly, are you saying that this is a Hwy 1 bass assembled in the US with Mexican Parts?.
  10. stodgers

I'm not saying that's what it is for sure, but looking at the pictures and reading the description, that was my first thought.
  11. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Neither the Highway 1, or the Highway One (two completely different basses) ever had an S-1 Switch. The American Standard never had an S-1 switch. It was the American Series that had the S-1 switching, from about mid 2003 until it was discontinued with the introduction of the 'New' American Standards in mid '08...

OP bass kind of appears to be a satin finish ... It does have a BAII bridge, but not a stock one that would have been on the Hwy ONE.

In any case, BOTH generations of Highway series basses are MIA , but they use a few different components from each other (and from the American Series and American Standard counterparts from their respective time frames) ...

Edit to add: .. OP, are you sure it has an S-1 switch, after looking closer at the pictures, it appears that the neck pup volume knob has the remnants of a white line left on it, and it does not appear to have a seperate center section to depress to activate the S-1 switching ?? ...
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  12. stodgers

Good info above. I could have sworn the year after I bought my Hwy One (just double checked that's what mine was, paid $611) that they had added the S-1, but I will definitely defer to those with more knowledge than I have on the matter. Which may be everyone. :)

My only question is how can you tell it is an aftermarket BAII? It looks just like mine..? I assumed it was the resolution of the pic that made the string slots not show clearly, if that's what one would go by.
  13. stodgers

And funny enough, I just did a quick search on the Hwy Ones in past threads, and it seems like everyone had the issue with the pickups. In one thread, three guys commented their pickup died.

Can anyone say class action? :)
    Dustin Judice likes this.
  14. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

"My only question is how can you tell it is an aftermarket BAII? It looks just like mine..? I assumed it was the resolution of the pic that made the string slots not show clearly, if that's what one would go by."

... you assume correctly, it may be resolution, but stock BAII's on Hwy Ones came with factory pre-slotting ...

"And funny enough, I just did a quick search on the Hwy Ones in past threads, and it seems like everyone had the issue with the pickups. In one thread, three guys commented their pickup died."

... thats interesting, I have had probably no less than 12-15 basses that used that particular set of pickups (part #'s 58358/9), and have never had an issue of any sort, in fact they are one of my fav relatively inexpensive alnico's ($40+ set new), and I have two sets sitting on the shelf waiting to go into projects ... this is also the same set that is used in the Classic Series 60's Jazz basses (since '01), the current American Special Jazz basses, and was used both in the early Hwy 1 and later Hwy One Jazzes ... so there are plenty of them out there ...

... after a slight derail, apologies to Wiegraf for keeping his thread at the top ... ;) ... if I can help you decipher this in any way, don't hesitate to PM me ...
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  15. Wiegraf

This isn't a highway one bass. It had a string through body bridge stock. The badass II was added. This bass was Made in USA, none of it was made in Mexico.

Sorry for the confusion.
  16. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

just a suggestion, but you may want to post a pic of back of body and headstock with serial #, that would certainly help to clear up any confusion too ... ;)
  17. Wiegraf

18. GG-Thunderbird

GG-Thunderbird Supporting Member

PM/conversation sent
  19. Wiegraf

Up! Most interested in cash at the moment!
  20. Wiegraf

21. Wiegraf