SOLD FS/FT - USA Fender J Dlx FRETLESS w/ poly-coated board, martini olive green metallic!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by TimBosby, Jan 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

This is one of those "I think I must be crazy and this thread will possibly be closed soon when I regain my sanity" posts. :help:

I have the problem of loving J-bass single-coil tone but not liking 1.5" necks. This is my last "true" 1.5" J neck and let's be realistic, I never play fretless... which should be obvious because this bass is not even completely wired up.

Let me be clear on that... this is essentially a "project" - but, considering that the preamp just needs to be wired in, and strings put on, I thought it made more sense to list this under "Basses" than "Accessories." (Mods: if this is not correct, please move this post accordingly.)

This is actually a hybrid of two Fender American Deluxe Jazz basses. The body is a 2007, alder, originally black. I had Pat Wilkins (http://www.wilkinsguitars.com/) re-finish it in martini olive green metallic and it's amazing. The neck is a 2003. It was sold to me as a factory lined fretless, but researching further I don't think Fender ever made lined factory fretless American Deluxe basses with dot inlays. So I'm guessing it was a fretless conversion, but it was done so perfectly that you'd never know. Beautiful Indian rosewood fingerboard with gorgeous abalone dot inlays. Professionally coated in hard polyester by Pat Wilkins - it's amazing and looks like glass. The neck itself is maple with an incredible fast and smooth satin finish. The neck is in great shape save for some minor dings on the top. Adrian Chandler from Pickguard Heaven made me a beautiful 3-ply pearloid white pickguard for it. The pickups are the DiMarzio Model J series with creme covers. The preamp is a 2-band from Andy Rothstein (http://www.guitar-mod.com/) and features vol/vol/treb/bass w/ active/passive AND series/parallel push-pull pots. I will e-mail you the preamp schematic if you are interested. Fender American deluxe string-through body bridge.

Weight? I'm not certain but every American Deluxe Jazz I've ever owned (and I've owned 3) has been under 9 lbs. I'd guess 8-8.5 maybe. These have smaller-than-standard Jazz style bodies and Fender uses lightweight alder. Very comfortable.

All you need to do is wire up the pickups/preamp and put stings on it. I can include a free set of D'Addario roundwounds if you wish. I will ship this baby in a nice Gator double gig bag. If you want a Fender/SKB black plastic heavy duty case (like this one only right-handed), I can do that for an extra $75.

My price is $950 shipped or best reasonable offer. I have at least $1500-$1600, maybe more, invested in this bass. :meh:

Trades? Not likely but maybe. I wouldn't mind having a decently powerful but inexpensive combo (at least 200 watts) for my rehearsal space. Must be tolex.... not carpet/fur because there are cats there.

Attached Files:

2. TimBosby

More pics - headstock.

Attached Files:

3. TimBosby

More pics - back of bass.

Attached Files:

4. TimBosby

Last pic - Rothstein 2-band preamp.

Attached Files:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. TimBosby

Closing this thread...keeping the bass for now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.