1. Classifieds Rules, Usage Agreement, and FAQ

A Supporting membership is required to post items for sale in the classifieds

New posts to classifieds threads will only bump the thread once every 24 hours. Posts made before 24 hours since the last bump, will not bump the thread.

FS/FT: Yamaha SBV-500

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by fbny71, Mar 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fbny71

fbny71 Supporting Member

I haven't had this bass for too long; less than a year but it's still in the same condition I got it in except that I replaced all three of the knobs with very similar ones because only one was on when I got it and I added strap lock buttons but those I'll want to keep. I will include the original knob and put the original strap buttons back on before shipping.

No case though I can ship with a Kaces gig bag if desired.

Lots of pictures included below but I can take more and/or verify anything I haven't covered.

The good:
    The neck is to die for, thin and fast. Easier to play then the neck on my Peavey Fury which is super slim and fast as well.
    The pickups sound great and provide a very wide range of sounds.
    It balances beautifully and seems to be quite light like my Peavey Fury but I'd have to weigh it if someone wants something more accurate.
    Neck is straight and frets are in decent shape.

The bad:
    The bass has been played and it shows. There are numerous dings as well as an approximate 3/4"L by 3/16"W x maybe 1/8"D gash that seems to have compressed the color into it so it doesn't jump out.
    There was a sticker on the pick guard which you'll notice has left a large stamp size lighter color than the rest of it but I didn't want to chance aging it too much so I left it alone.

These sell for around $500 in good condition and this is probably a 6/10 I would say. I'm looking for $350 OBO shipped or trade for a comparable value bass- I only like four strings and only like fretted- or micro amp head- GKMB200, or a non-micro Trace head with the SMX preamp and any trade can be + or - $$ as necessary.

Thanks for looking.

The following is from Zzounds website:

Product Description:
    Yamaha SBV500 Electric Bass Guitar
    Nostalgia rules in this bass version of Yamaha's '60s-revisited SGV guitar. Enjoy the clear-voiced single-coil powering and a retro styling that's guaranteed to get you noticed. Contemporary retro in the bass field has rarely been as elegant or practical as on Yamaha's SBV500. The sculpted, reverse-cutaway solid alder body balances a treat on the strap, while the slim 34"-scale neck offers great handling, a fast action and a full, well-tensioned tone. The two single-coil pickups evoke the '60s vibe, yet the bright and cutting sounds are entirely relevant to many of today's musical styles and interpretations. All you have to do now is choose your color - and if you pick yellow, wear shades!

Body: Alder
    Neck: Bolt-on maple
    Fingerboard: Rosewood, 250mm (10 in.) radius
    Frets: 20
    Scale length: 864mm (34 in.)
    Pickups: Two single coil
    Controls: Two volumes, master tone
    Bridge: Chrome vintage style with four individual saddles

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. fbny71

fbny71 Supporting Member

Flying Samurai BUMP
  3. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8 Supporting Member

Oh man I love these things. And are you on LI too?
  4. fbny71

fbny71 Supporting Member

Yup, western Nassau County.
  5. The Diaper Geni

The Diaper Geni Supporting Member

Love these things, too!

Ohhhhhhh the temptation! :help:
  6. PotsdamBass8

Someone PLEASE buy this thing. It's too close and too good a price. And I know it will play and sound great.
  7. Hudsobass

Hudsobass Supporting Member

Does it stay in tune? These instruments sometimes struggle with staying in tune.
  8. fbny71

fbny71 Supporting Member

I've personally never gigged with this bass, only played at home. That said, I never realized whether I needed to re-tune any quicker than with other basses.

I will spend a good long while playing it tonight to examine tuning stability and report back.
  9. fbny71

fbny71 Supporting Member

I've just spent fifteen minutes playing it quite hard. Strumming chords with a pick all up and down the neck, slapping, etc. My cheap clip-on tuner showed the tiniest bit of flatness after all of my hard playing. Now mind you it always bounced back to on tune but it floated to the tiniest bit flat before coming back to tune whereas it was right at tune before my session of hard strumming.
  10. PotsdamBass8

Hudsobass, do you mean yamahas in general, or this specific bass? I've had a yamaha from the same era with the same tuners, and it never slipped.
  11. fbny71

fbny71 Supporting Member

And maybe I should mention that I was trying to get it to go out of tune through the way I was playing.
  12. fbny71

fbny71 Supporting Member

Done deal...SOLD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.