1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

FS: German 7/8 Double Bass circa 1900 - $11,000 OBO

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Basses & Bows' started by Chris_Brunhaver, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Chris_Brunhaver

Chris_Brunhaver

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

This instrument doesn't have a tag in it, other than the one that Hammond Ashley Violins put in when they re-graduated the top in 1979 it is thought to be a German "shop" made around 1900.

It is round back and gamba corners. A fingered low C extension was added by the previous owner (Todd Gowers, for those of you in the Seattle area). Measurements are are a 43.25" string length, 45" body length, ~27.5" lower bout, ~21" upper bout, 7.5" lower ribs, ~7" upper ribs, and a D neck. While the string length is fairly long, the sloping shoulders and fairly moderate rib depth make it easy to play.

Sound-wise, the bass has a big mature sound and carries the low notes well (everything for the A down to the low C really resonates the floor). It is currently strung with a new set of Pirastro Passione Stark strings. Comes with a padded bag.

The bass has had some repair work done about 15-20 years ago, including a chest patch on the lower right bout and repairing a bass bar crack / new bass bar and a repairing a neck crack. Older work includes a peg box repair Almost all work was done by Sarah Balmforth, are very stable.

Of course, I'm glad to answer questions or even play some sound clips, if that would be helpful. I hope to find this bass a good home, as it is a perfect instrument for college though orchestra auditions.

Attached Files:

2. Chris_Brunhaver

Chris_Brunhaver

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

more pictures

Attached Files:

3. Chris_Brunhaver

Chris_Brunhaver

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

More pics. Motivated seller. Please PM me with any questions.

Attached Files:

4. groooooove

groooooove

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0

for its age, it looks like she's been taken care of...

beautiful bass. i wish i could afford all of the basses that peak my fancy..
  5. Chris_Brunhaver

Chris_Brunhaver

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Thanks groooooove. Yes, she sounds even better than she looks and will make somebody very happy. Please PM with with questions or offers, as I'm looking for a fairly quick sale.

Happy holidays!

-Chris
  6. Chris_Brunhaver

Chris_Brunhaver

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Another bump while I'm home for the holidays. Please PM or email we with any questions.
  7. sq105

sq105 Country Squire Supporting Member

0   0   0

Looks beautiful! Good luck with the sale.
  8. Chris_Brunhaver

Chris_Brunhaver

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

thanks! The bass is still available.
  9. Chris_Brunhaver

Chris_Brunhaver

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

10. Chris_Brunhaver

Chris_Brunhaver

Rating - 100%