1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

FS: I Can Make Custom Waterslide Decals (cont'd)

Discussion in 'TalkBass Bazaar: Straps and Accessories' started by lavmonga, Dec 14, 2011.

1. lavmonga

lavmonga

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0

This is a new thread, I wanted to clean up the old one and have some more information at in the first post. The old thread(with pictures) can be found here: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f129/fs-i-can-make-custom-waterslide-decals-772440/
    I can make custom waterslide decals for anyone interested. I have background in graphic design, so as long as you don't want anything too crazy I can probably swing it. Cost will be between $5 and $25 depending upon how much work/design I have to do. I've made a few for friends and many TBers, some pics are in the old thread. Worst case scenario is I design something and you don't like it. Give it a whirl.

Please consider:
    • I spend a good amount of time designing your logo, so if you're on the fence, don't ask me to design a grandiose logo because I've spent hours on some of them and then buyers flake. I have a real job and life, so I'd appreciate if you take that into consideration.
    • Let me know if you live outside the contiguous USA before I give you a price quote.
    • I'm going to assume you read this entire post before you contacted me, so if you're unhappy about something that is clearly defined here, I'm sorry, but there will be nothing I can do.

Decals for dark headstocks:
    Doing logos for a black/dark headstock is possible, but I don't think they way I can do it is really that good. Basically, I have two types of decal paper, clear and white. On white paper, I can print white letters with a black outline and you would have to cut the letters, or graphic out along that line. It would basically be the same idea as cutting a logo out from a piece of regular white computer paper. With the clear decals as all of the posts so far have been, there is no white background, so you don't have to cut along the letters.

Imagine the waterslide paper as a piece of glass, if you write on a piece of glass in green marker and put a piece of light paper behind the glass, you can see the green logo. If you put a piece of black paper behind the glass, you won't see anything.

Personally, I wouldn't want to deal with the hassle of cutting letters out, but you're entitled to make that decision for yourself.

Quality
    Making decals isn't my profession, I do not have a fancy industrial printer (this means inkjet colors only, NO METALLICS). These are printed on a mid-grade home inkjet printer. As you can see from the pictures, they come out pretty well, but by no means are these the quality that Fender, Gibson, etc.. produce for their own guitars. I don't charge much, you'll get a nice decal from me, but if you're looking for a pro-grade job, seek elsewhere, you'll be spending $60 instead.

Installation instructions:
    • Fill a bowl with warm/hot water
    • Cut the decal to the size you like
    • Put the paper in the warm water for a few seconds, you'll notice the top clear separating from the white paper. - Do not soak, the decal should slide off easily after only a second or two.
    • Slide the clear (decal) onto your headstock or desired location.
    • Try to smooth out air bubbles, but be gentle.
    • Let the decal air dry for a day or so.

Be very careful! The decal paper is very fragile when wet and can rip if you manhandle it!

Please PM me if you have something in mind.
  2. Lee H

Lee H

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

The only one I would consider doing something like that on has a flat black headstock... I think I am out of luck
  3. lavmonga

lavmonga

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0

Wish I could help, I just don't really have that capability.
  4. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    75   0   0

he does quality work , have no doubt ...
    :cool:
  5. lavmonga

lavmonga

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0

Printing some up this weekend, get orders in now for New Year's printing.
  6. Stumbo

Stumbo Supporting Member

0   0   0

For anything custom, I suggest taking deposits with each order or pay in full like most custom bass builders do. Better if the customer provides some art direction. Or, if possible get approval for initial drawing.

You may get less orders but most of people who flake won't put money up front. Deposits will weed these people out, especially when you have a reputation for doing good work.
  7. TJBass

TJBass

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

He does do good work, the proofs he sent me look great, cant wait to get them in the mail.
  8. Justin Tuskey

Justin Tuskey Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    101   0   0

Chris does very good work! I have three decals from him now, and plan on at least 3 more! here is a recent finish. you cant tell, but I buried the decal in tru-oil. love it

[​IMG]
  9. lavmonga

lavmonga

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0

Love this guitar, color scheme is awesome!
  10. Justin Tuskey

Justin Tuskey Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    101   0   0

thanks chris, I am actually building another similar one for a friend. this is one is contracting me for it though. I will have decal deets for you in a week or so. right now I am finishing a neck with the Frazier SKYCASTER logo and will have pics up shortly :D
  11. dave-chaulk

dave-chaulk

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Excellent product! ordered a full sheet and just finished putting them on five recent builds - consistent high quality, ease of use, and surprisingly durable.

If you need any decals made, I very strongly suggest you get them from this fine fellow!

I'll take some pictures soon to post.
  12. Rickenhofner45

Rickenhofner45

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Ordered this a few months ago, finally had a neck to put it on. Looks great!

[​IMG]
  13. lavmonga

lavmonga

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0

Looks good man!
  14. TJBass

TJBass

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

Chris, I finally got home and had a chance to strip my P and attach the decals, they look great and were so easy to put on. Ill post pics in the other thread.
  15. TJBass

TJBass

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

[​IMG]

One thing I learned during the application process is that if you leave the decal in the water too long the ink will run and come off the decal when you try to smooth it out.

Its not that noticeable unless your real up close but it could be a concern for other folks design, just dont soak it too long.
  16. lavmonga

lavmonga

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0

Thanks TJ, noted in the installation instructions.
  17. Just Bill

Just Bill

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

Really appreciate Chris doing this one for me. He's a pleasure to work with and did a great job.
  18. lavmonga

lavmonga

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0

Looking good man! What happened to the little Frankenstein?
  19. dukeplaysbass

dukeplaysbass Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    80   0   0

Here's my build project. Took a while to get it finished, but the decal looks great! Thanks!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  20. Just Bill

Just Bill

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

I was so excited at that point, I had to snap a pic before I put him on.