1. A Supporting membership is required to post items for sale in the classifieds

2. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.
  3. Please Read:Classifieds Rules, Usage Agreement, and FAQ for info on bumping, marking SOLD, and more.

SOLD FS/ Ibanez GWB-1 Gary Willis 5 StringFretless

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by telefunkinu-47, Mar 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. telefunkinu-47

telefunkinu-47

Ash body, REAL EBONY fingerboard (not ebonol, which Gary has stopped using -going back to Ebony), LIGHT, very comfortable. Original hard shell case. Has a few dings that the ash hides very well. NO dings on the back of the neck (perfectly smooth). New D'Addario strings. I'm the 2nd owner. Gary Willis came to town back in I believe '02 and set this bass up. Then one of the guys at the guitar shop bought it. Then, a few months later, it was back out on the floor. That's when I grabbed it. I can't even say I've played twenty gigs on it. Mostly played at home. I used to play 4st fretless, and occasionally 5st. But both at once, not so well. The treble knob is missing, but will probably show up. If not I think they're only a few dollars. This bass sounds beautiful! [DEL][DEL]$1100[/DEL][/DEL] Shipped CONUS

$1000 NOW-$950 Shipped! CONUS

NEW PICS: http://s868.photobucket.com/user/telefunkinu-47/library/Gary%20Willis%20GWB-1?sort=3&page=1

Would consider trade plus cash for a MTD Artist Fretless 4. I used to have one. It was black with a white pick guard and had a passive one MM style pickup in it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  2. EdsonBass

EdsonBass

3. telefunkinu-47

telefunkinu-47

4. Cairobill

Cairobill

I can hand on heart say these basses are near perfect (and I've played and owned an extremely broad range of basses!). Minimal design and the thickest, most resonant tone out there. Pure and simple and a serious steal. I love my GWB-1…Bump!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

Awesome bass. Gary went to rosewood with a finish instead of ebony of ebonol, I think the ebony ones sound the best though. If Tom wasn't building my 5 string fretless I'd have this in a jiffy. Still might have to pick it up, though I don't know if I'd need 3 5 string fretless basses.

7. henry2513

henry2513 Supporting Member

I've got the Rosewood version, I had the GWB-1. The GWB-1 is very close, it's an awesome bass. This is a great deal.

8. tylerwylie

Yea I had Tom Clement build me a bass with a similar setup, 16.5mm spacing, one pickup with a ramp that extends to the end of the FB. Dymondwood fingerboard though. Nut's a few MM wider but the neck is ultra thin. Still debating picking this one up. But I'll have way too many fretless basses at that point.

9. telefunkinu-47

telefunkinu-47

PRICE DROP: $1000 SHIPPED!

10. kesslari

kesslari Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    This is one of the great fretless basses, period. And the price is great. Bump from a man who owns one.

11. piercer

piercer

12. telefunkinu-47

telefunkinu-47

Per request. Case pics. (follow same photo link up top)

13. Justyn

Justyn Supporting Member

Sorry if I missed it somewhere, but what's the string spacing?

14. tylerwylie

16.5mm spacing on GWB's (and all Ibanez 5 and 6 string SR based models actually)

15. Kevin Woods

Kevin Woods Supporting Member

One of the many who want this bass, here.

Sometime in the manufacturing history of the GWB basses, Ibanez said that the string-spacing at the bridge was widened a tiny bit. I have always understood to mean that they went up to 17mm from the original 16.5mm (I think in between the 1005 and the 105). But true GWB fretless fanatics should chime in here. Larry Heinemann just sold his ebonol board GWB, so he might know.

Cheers.

16. henry2513

henry2513 Supporting Member

16.5 mm.

17. Justyn

Justyn Supporting Member

Counting my pennies. The simplicity of this bass might work better with my ADHD than my Carvin Bromberg fretless 5.

18. telefunkinu-47

telefunkinu-47

It's a sweet bass. I keep pickin' it up and playing acoustically and thinking, maybe I should hold on to this one. I may switch to selling my Lakland Skyline which is a jackknife of a bass. Though I'd miss either one. Have had these basses for about 12 years now and there's a reason I held on to them for so long.

19. telefunkinu-47

telefunkinu-47

20. eeeasy

eeeasy Supporting Member

21. telefunkinu-47

telefunkinu-47

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.