1. A Supporting membership is required to post items for sale in the classifieds

2. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.
  3. Please Read:Classifieds Rules, Usage Agreement, and FAQ for info on bumping, marking SOLD, and more.

SOLD FS: Matsumoku 1983 Electra Phoenix X640 Active MIJ

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by rogerbmiller, Nov 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

!!SOLD!!

I am listing my Electra Phoenix X640 bass. This was made in Japan at the legendary Matsumoku factory in 1983.

This bass is a very cool representation of the innovative electronics that Matsumoku was using at the time. The bass is configured with proprietary P and J pickups and a really amazing active electronics system. There is an active EQ with Master Volume, master tone, and a mid cut/boost. There are three switches for selecting parallel/series mode, phase in/out, and EQ on/off (i.e. active/passive). This is a very similar schematic to what is used in the Westone Thunder basses and the older active Vantage basses. And of course, the pickup selector switch is on the upper horn which is a favorite feature of mine! Super cool.

The bass is a very attractive hybrid of Matsumoku design-forward innovation and looks balanced with the classic presentation and execution of a Fender-style bass. The bass plays very well with a nice traditional feel and has a very wide variety of tonal possibilities owing to the robust electronics design and flexibility that comes with a P/J configuration.

The body is ash with a natural finish and the neck and fingerboard are maple. The bass is in overall great condition. There are some light scratches and dings here and there as to be expected in an older bass but overall this one is in very clean shape and unless you are giving the bass a very close inspection, you are not going to notice many blems due to the natural low-gloss finish and the busy grain pattern of the wood. I have tried to picture what is most noticeable so check out the pictures below.

I am asking $SOLD shipped CONUS for this bass, add $20 if I am shipping to MST or PST. I will ship in a gig bag, and of course, I would certainly consider best offers so feel free to PM and offers or questions for that matter.

Thanks for reading and enjoy the pics!

RBM

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    Super-cool bass from a top notch MIJ aficionado.
    GLWTS, Roger! It's a beauty.

3. rogerbmiller

You like, you buy! :)

Thanks for the kind words, man! Be good.

RBM

4. handofseven

handofseven Soaking up the cathode rays... Supporting Member

DURRRRRRRRGH!!!! Wants so bad... Sooo cool. GAS tank full now... Wallet still empty. THE PAIN! :bawl:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Smokin' Toaster

Smokin' Toaster Supporting Member

I worked for MMI music in Mobile, Alabama in the early 80's and we sold the Electra line. these were very nice, well-made basses, and often don't get the love and respect they deserve. They are some of the nicer basses to come out of Japan in the early to mid 80's. Bump for a nice bass, GLWTS.

7. rogerbmiller

To the top for offers. Trying to find this and some other basses a new home. Feel free to PM.

Will also consider overseas sales if we can work out additional shipping fees.

Thanks!

8. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well!

Great bass bump! I had the double P version..well built,monstrous pre-amp,and once you get the hang of the controls the tones are endless. GLWTS!

9. rogerbmiller

On final bump for 2012 and happy new year wishes.

Any offers out there?

10. ilovenofrets

ilovenofrets

Bump for Motsumoku GOLD! Own an '85 Westone Spectrum, and can't say enough good things about it. I am definitely considering this one!

11. rogerbmiller

Another bump. I have recently bought a few new basses so I would love to see this move. If you are interested, give a shout via PM. Offers are fine. Trades may be too, though this is as much a sale to free up space as it is because I just am not giving this bass the play time she deserves anymore.

Thanks.

RBM

12. rogerbmiller

Any takers? this is indeed, Matsumoku Gold. They certainly don't make preamps like this anymore. This bass will give you just about any sound you need.

If you are interested let's deal.

13. sobemtv

sobemtv

Is that one got a 18V preamp as Westone thunder 1a?

14. rogerbmiller

Yep. BTW, I replied to your PM. :)

RBM

15. rogerbmiller

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.