FS: Michael Dolan "ultra jazz" 5 with Custom Finish by Shelly Ferrell

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by learning_towalk, Nov 19, 2013.

1. learning_towalk

learning_towalk Supporting Member

Sold!

This has been one of my personal basses for the last several years and is a one of a kind boutique bass. This bass was hand built in California by the legendary Michael Dolan (master luthier, was a lead builder at Alembic before starting his own company). A beautiful 5 string jazz bass. Alder body, gorgeous maple neck with Birdseye fretboard. Custom bass clef at the 12th fret. Black hardware, 18v audere preamp with low,mid, hi-z switch, and dimarzio pickups. The bass has a custom finish by Shelly Ferrell at Nashville Fretworks. Shelly is the go to tech for Taylor Swift's band and numerous other country stars! The finish has a silver base with a green flake on top. Thus the bass looks silver or green under different light. I have used this bass on several tours and in numerous studios in Nashville, Atlanta, and San Antonio. Incredibly diverse bass! I've used it for everything from country to rock to reggae to funk. And it just works. The preamp allows it to sit in the mix or cut through. The bass also comes with a nice tweed hard shell case w/ red plush lining. This bass from Dolan would run upwards of $3000 and have a lengthy wait for build time. Not to mention the cost of this one of a kind finish. The bass does show some signs of use (a few scratches, nicks, cracked plastic on the battery cover, etc) overall, in really nice shape though. A killer sounding bass!

Weighed in right around 10lbs on digital kitchen scale.

One item worth noting is that the action does sit a little high for my taste, even with the relief set. But I'm super picky about set up. It's been like this since I bought it several years ago but it's not terrible (as I said, I've used this bass all across the USA from studios to festival stages) but it may need some tweaking and adjustment if you want the action down more. See picture for action at the 11-12th fret. As with any used item, it is sold as is. USA shipping only...Sorry int'l folks. Payment via PayPal please.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Dee-man

Dee-man Supporting Member

Free bump. I believe Dolan is retired, or mostly retired, so these aren't made any more. He did/does great work. GLWTS, DM

3. swpyne

swpyne Basses R Loaded! Gold Supporting Member

I saw this bass on the "bay of fees" recently. If it was a 34" scale I would have bought it already. Michael Dolan builds great basses and I'm sure this is no exception. Best of luck with the sale!

4. learning_towalk

Thanks folks! It is a killer bass indeed

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. learning_towalk

7. learning_towalk

$850 shipped or will trade for a Roland Octapad or Spd-SX +cash (depending on the accessories you have ie extra pads/stands, case, etc) cash may not be necessary.

8. learning_towalk

9. learning_towalk

10. 707hippie

707hippie Supporting Member

Michael is retired my Ampeg Baby Bass neck was one of his last jobs he did a great refinish

11. punchdrunk

punchdrunk Supporting Member

damn. Really sorry I missed this one. Wow.