1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.
  2. Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting. Note that the Classifieds Forums are now single-post ads. You can edit your ad any time to enter additional information. You can BUMP your ad by clicking the "bump" link at the bottom of your post (once every 24 hours). Thanks!

FS: Mike Browne Fretless Bass - Maple and Pink Ivory - Rare!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by lesclaypoolsob, Jan 15, 2013.

1. lesclaypoolsob

lesclaypoolsob

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

I have owned this bass for about three years now and I, unfortunately, do not play it enough to justify keeping such an expensive and rare instrument. My passion has changed to the culinary arts and I would love to be able to fund some new equipment/toys.

While Mike has retired from building, I think that his instruments speak for themselves. He was trained under Carl Thompson and I would put this bass up against any CT or Pete Hilton instrument. Coupled with the fact that you're not likely to see another instrument like this, if you are interested in this instrument, you should probably act now.

The bass is MINT and has rarely left the gig bag. The following pictures were taken with an iPhone 4S (apologies in advance).

Northern ash body
    Birdseye maple top
    AAAAA Quilted maple back
    Walnut accents all over the bass
    Pink Ivory (incredibly expensive, rare, hard to get) fingerboard
    Flamed maple binding
    Pearl dots
    Even the lines are flamed maple in the fingerboard!
    Birdseye maple on headstock
    Pink Ivory headstock veneer on back of headstock
    Pink Ivory truss rod cover
    Pink Ivory pickup covers
    Custom Pink Ivory-topped knobs
    Nordstrand custom-spaced SEs
    Audere Z-mode preamp

The bass is priced at a FIRM $3,000 shipped and insured within the CONUS. No trades, please. At this time, only accepting money order/check as payment. Shoot me a PM if you have any questions at all!

Thanks for your time!

There are better quality pictures over at The Low End but these are prior to my ownership: http://www.thelowend.net/gallery/viewtopic.php?t=4213

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. mojojim

mojojim Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0

The neck on this bass is great! Mike made it so it looks like the pink ivory is set into the neck. Wow. Somebody is going to be very happy.
  3. RedMoses

RedMoses Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0

That is incredible!

GLWS
  4. Zentner

Zentner Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

One of the nicest basses I've seen for sale on these forums ever. GORGEOUS. Wish I had the scratch!
  5. jacochops

jacochops

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0

Hey everyone,
    I was the original owner and commissioned that bass from Mike...it all came out of my head!
    I had it built with a 33 1/2" scale...like an F Bass...the 1/2" makes a difference, but this one is a 1/2" shorter. VERY fast and punchy bass! It sounds like a bowed cello, if that makes any sense. The pink ivory board is something that Rob Elrick does SO beautifully...I figured it would sound as amazing on Mike's bass. It does! :D

The board is bound with figured maple, and even the fretlines are figured maple! The pickups being close together make you think that it is a 1-sound bass. It is NOT. The is tremendous variation between the two pickups. This is, quite frankly, the finest fretless available on TB right now, IMHO. I have owned hundreds (no exaggeration) of custom, high end basses. I was a WHORE for a long time. You simply will not find a better fretless. If I had the coin, this would be MINE again. Simply sublime. GLWTS. If you ever want to trade for a fretted 4 suer high end fretted plus cash, let me know!
    BTW, I am also a budding chef....my fave new muse! Just made an amazing chicken, button mushroom, and sweet pepper risotto with garlic and chili dry-fried green beans and a baked fruit crumble dessert with fresh mint. KILLING! :)
    Someone grab this....QUICK!
  6. Ezmar

Ezmar

0   0   0

Man, if I weren't hoping to study abroad next year, AND if it was still available at the end of the summer, I'd really consider getting this. I'm in the market for a good 4 string fretless, and that REALLY looks nice.
  7. lesclaypoolsob

lesclaypoolsob

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Thanks everyone!

Jaco, thanks for chiming in about the bass. It is indeed a wonderful instrument. I don't know how you ended up in China but I need to come visit for some hotpot! :hyper:
  8. Hot Pocket

Hot Pocket Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    30   0   1

9. jacochops

jacochops

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0

Hey man...welcome anytime! :D You gotta try the street food here! Amazing fresh veggies, noodles and spices wok'd up right in front of you! The cost? less than 1 USD! INCREDIBLE! The hotpot isn't too shabby, either!

I miss that bass....just a stunning looker, player, and the sound is off the chain! GLWTS!
  10. lesclaypoolsob

lesclaypoolsob

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

11. JOEP054

JOEP054 Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0

PM sent. Thanks
  12. Bass42

Bass42

Rating - 100%