1. Classifieds Rules, Usage Agreement, and FAQ

A Supporting membership is required to post items for sale in the classifieds

New posts to classifieds threads will only bump the thread once every 24 hours. Posts made before 24 hours since the last bump, will not bump the thread.

FS only: Aria Pro ii SB-something in Paduak Red

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Razman, Mar 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Razman

Razman Supporting Member

For sale only for now, 80's Japanese Aria Pro II SB-something.

I've asked here on TB but can't seem to get a definitive answer on what exactly it is - it looks like an Elite II but then I was told it was an SB-800, but that seems to be the bolt-on neck version of the SB-1000. If you DO know what it is, please tell me.

What I am most sure about is how this thing sounds and plays - it's incredible! I've strung it with new DR's, it intonates perfectly, strings are about 2.x mm above the 12th fret so the action is low with little or no buzzing. Strings are new DR Hi-Beams. Switches are for each pickup - series/parallel.

I've got more info to write (and pics) but not enough time right now, PM me if interested.

$650 shipped CONUS in a TKL HSC.

Selling to fund a bass amp that is local to me, so sorry - no trades at this time!

Thanks,

Eric

Attached Files:

2. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

What's the first 2 digits of the serial #?
  3. Low Class

It's not an elite II
  4. Low Class

Different electronics, also the input jack is flush and not recessed as on the Elite. also the elite has nicer wood.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Low Class

It doesn't have the stacked vol/tone. It's just vol vol tone, and this bass is stock.

I've looked through every catalog of the 1980's and see no bass like it.
  7. Prostheta

Prostheta

Aria did throw several curveballs out there. Quite possibly this is one of them. I've came across a couple of oddities in SB-1000 circuits before which caused me no end of confusion till I figured it out.

Whatever model it is, it is a great bass. Love it.
  8. Razman

Razman Supporting Member

No prob with the thread hijacking - as I mentioned, I'm at work so can't post too much or more pics.

The black knob is a tone pot - not a selector.

The wood is MUCH nicer than what you can see there - took the pick with my LG G2, great camera but the grain got washed out in the sunlight. It looks identical to other Elite II's on the web - heck, even some SB-1000's with the same finish - just no recessed jack. Initially I thought it was an Elite that someone replaced the electronics in.

Regardless, they are both passive basses, just different volume and tone configurations, minus the selector switch (which are how much on stew mac?) I don't see the reason to swap all that out, unless that's what you needed to have.

Link to Photobucket pics: http://s1102.photobucket.com/user/Razman11/library/Aria Pro II SB Elite II

Sorry for the incorrect label, that's what I thought it was when I uploaded the pics. Included are pics of any mojo, but overall it's in great shape.

More info later...

Eric
  9. Low Class

10. Prostheta

Prostheta

Interesting point. Very few post-Mat basses used genuine Japanese parts. That quickhook bridge is usually a tell-tale. I'll have to remember these nuggets of info! Thanks.
  11. Razman

Razman Supporting Member

Thanks for all the great info gents.

Forgot to respond about the SN# - the back of the HS doesn't have one! :eek::eyebrow: Not sure why; there aren't any indentations or stampings, no labels elsewhere, no printing and it doesn't appear that it was chemically removed. Prototype? Who knows. :confused:

Seeing how rare this one may be, price will now reflect this.

J/K!! :p Ok, so any interest from anyone? No PM's or offers yet...
  12. mb94952

mb94952 Endorsing Artist : SFARZO STRINGS Gold Supporting Member

Mmmmmm... made in Japan goodness ! I love it !
  13. Alembic83

Alembic83 Supporting Member

This bass was labeled the SB-ELT from the Aria US catalog in 1989. Rudy Sarzo was on the cover, I believe. A scan of that catalog used to be on ariausa.com but it's long gone. I'm sure I have a copy of that the page with the SB-ELT somewhere on a different computer in a different country! I have a friend who fixed up a bass just like yours, Razman. Note the slightly pointier "crown" of the headstock. The original knobs are those bevel top plastic knobs shown in the link:
    http://ariabasses.blogspot.jp/2010/10/aria-pro-ii-sb-elt-neck-repair.html
  14. Razman

Razman Supporting Member

Thanks for clearing this up, Alembic83. BTW, I still have the other two knobs, they are the original beveled top ones with the white dots. I'll include them in the sale.

Don't really know what else to say now, I think we've about covered everything, and the pics cover the rest. Electronics work fine, you can hear a little pop when flipping the series/parallel switches but that's it. The jack is new, strings are new DR Hi-Beams, I have the action set nice and low.

Neck is perfect - straight, no twisting - and the frets have little wear on them. The finish is good, shows wear in normal areas, but still very glossy. The only real mojo I can find is on the edge of the body where the electronics are, and I have a pic of that in Photobucket. Sure, there are other small dings on it, but not anything that really detracts from it.

I love how the series/parallel switches give it an incredible boost - in the lower output setting (series?) it sounds great; output is on par with my fiver that has a Bart system in it. Flip the switch and it just explodes, gets pretty close to my bud's Cirrus output (it's a really hot bass). On every dual pup bass I've had in the past I've set everything to full (volume, tone) but on this one my favorite sound is just the neck pickup soloed, tone at max, on the parallel setting. It rocks! :bassist:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. Russell foulkes

Russell foulkes

I have the exact same bass, I've always assumed it was an elite II....
  16. Razman

Razman Supporting Member

I'm trying to fund the purchase of an amp and cabinet. Hit me with your best offers.
  17. Razman

Razman Supporting Member

Here's a pic of a page out of an Orion guitar blue book:

[​IMG]

It would appear that the SB-ELT "Super Bass" was a Korean model but I have yet to spy a blue one that looks like mine (or any Elite for that matter).

However, the ELT-i and ELT-ii Elites were Matsumoku-made based on the dates. This begs the question, is mine a "Super Bass" or an Elite? Is there a difference between the Elite ii (with the countersunk jack and stacked controls) and the ELT-ii Elite? I'll have to check the book again for a separate entry for the Elite-ii. Maybe this one is an ELT-ii Elite?

Price drop to $580 shipped CONUS.
  18. Alembic83

Alembic83 Supporting Member

I've also seen that bass known as the SB-RSZ (for Rudy Sarzo). This was a Japanese model name...US and Japanese catalogs sometimes used different model names for the same instrument.

Check about 1/4 way down this link, on the left:
    http://matsumokuguitars.com/old-brochures--diagrams.html
  19. Razman

Razman Supporting Member

Semi-still wanna sell but kinda don't "bump". Ping me with offers/interest.

Raz
  20. MOTORHEADBANGER

MOTORHEADBANGER Spud-boy looking for a Real Tomato Supporting Member

Interesting. What's the neck width and the weight?
  21. kukuzo

kukuzo Previously kukkunyan Supporting Member

Alembic83 is right, and this is the SB-RSZ.
    This was made by Tokai 88-91.
    This is a very cool bass.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.