1. A Supporting membership is required to post items for sale in the classifieds

2. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.
  3. Please Read:Classifieds Rules, Usage Agreement, and FAQ for info on bumping, marking SOLD, and more.

FS: Original 1982 Ovation Magnum IV bass- mojo included

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by FCM3, Sep 21, 2012.

1. FCM3

FCM3

This is a closet classic. I purchased this brand new in 1982(I have original receipts) and sadly, its been sitting in my bass closet for more yrs than I want to count.
    Its in very good to better than very good condition, w/ some minor wear on the frets and fretboard, and some age on the metal parts. It also has one cosmetic ding in the headstock (from a cymbal crash-see below), and as you can see in the pictures it comes complete w/ original Ovation Hardshell velvet lined case.
    These basses were extremely innovative and were truly ahead of its time.

Here is some of the original advert copy on these basses.

Mangum basses deliver a clear, clean, bright “piano bass” sound with the sustain you need. Large U-shaped pole pieces in the bridge “sense” the presence of string vibration longer than conventional magnets. Output is stronger, with more of the strings higher overtones and less midrange to muddy the tone.
    The mahogany bodied Magnums had an elongated offset double cutaway design. The Ovation Magnum IV had bolt-on mahogany necks reinforced by three strips of carbon graphite to eliminate warping, a wide strip in the center of the back and two more underneath the fingerboard. Fingerboards were unbound ebony with 20 frets and dot inlays. The Magnum IV had a cast metal tail piece, as well as, cast metal housing with two pickups, a small split double-coil unit at the bridge and a large square four-coil unit at the neck, this latter with little screw-adjusted trim pots for micro adjusting volume. Separate volume controls on each coil let you match the louder strings to the softer one. A 4-band graphic equalizer onboard to tailor your sound on the fly.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

$900 (including S/H), if your following this market, then you’ve seen 3 original Ovation Magnums have sold on EBAY for >$900 in the past few months

2. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass

Hello. I have a few questions (and other TB'ers may have these same questions).

What is the weight of the bass?
    What is the nut width?
    What is the fretboard radius?
    How low or high is the action?

Thanks!

3. mc_muench

mc_muench

Is the mojo sold separately?

Cool bass, GLWTS!!!

4. FCM3

FCM3

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SactoBass

Thanks. I look forward to finding out about the weight, and the nut width and fretboard radius (the manual didn't indicate).

Also, can you post some close-up pics up and down the fretboard and back of the neck? Thanks!

7. FCM3

FCM3

Hi-
    The nut width is a shy less than 1.5". This beauty weights in a trim 13.10lbs, lighter than I expected, it real 1.5" thick mahogany from back when you could strip the rainforest for exotic woods. Anyway, it has some serious heft.
    AS for radius, i would suggest you google it, its no where to be found.
    Photos of the neck will be emailed to you later.

8. SactoBass

Thanks FCM. Per my PM, please post the pics in this thread so that all interested TB'ers can see them. Thanks!

9. FCM3

FCM3

Bump
    Please see the attached Picts of the fretboard and neck, it's in really good shape

10. FCM3

FCM3

Following up the post from SACTOBASS-
    according to another Ovation Magnum owner the fretboard radius is 10

11. bkbirge

bkbirge

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    Wow that looks like something I'd expect to see Verdine White playing in the early 80's. I hope whoever buys this has a gold sparkle suit with spaceman shoulder wings. I'm tempted myself. Mojo is an understatement.

[​IMG]

12. FCM3

FCM3

great picture....
    just think of the bass tone from early Journey

13. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Hahah that picture is awesome and that bass is awesome.

14. Red Four

Red Four

This looks great. In better condition than many I've seen. I love Magnum necks - they feel so rock-solid, and yet they have a great slim-round feel in your hand. GLWTS.

15. FCM3

FCM3

Agreed-
    Solid neck is an understatement.

16. j.kernodle

j.kernodle

I think Paul d'amour used to play one of these back in the early Tool days. so they're capable of some evil sounds. :)

17. FCM3

FCM3

cool bass-its still available

18. FCM3

FCM3

GOt a chance to play this bass this morning. Big fat meaty lows, kinda of a cross between a 60's P bass and a Gibson EBO. Lots of cool tones

19. FCM3

FCM3

Cool bass- still available

20. FCM3

FCM3

One sold on EBay this week for over more than my asking price

21. KaZaKoViCH

KaZaKoViCH

how much is it weights?