FS: Peavey TL-Six 6-string from 1992 - Excellent!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by ad9000, Dec 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ad9000

ad9000 Supporting Member

This is a really nicely (USA) made instrument, with excellent playability, a beautiful piano-like tone, lots of sonic variation and some aggressiveness that can be dialed in if you want it. I would compare it somewhat to the early Yamaha TRB basses, which used similar woods and a through-body design much like the Peavey TL's. I've really been enjoying this bass, but I have too many 6-strings at the moment so something has to go.

Some key specs:
    Color: Translucent Red
    Graphite-reinforced neck
    Woods: rock maple with mahogany strips, ebony fingerboard
    Through-body neck design
    Dual split (Peavey) pickups and active 9v electronics
    Kahler bridge (saddles are adjustable side-to-side as well as length and height)
    34" scale
    24 frets
    17mm spacing at bridge
    2.25" nut width
    Weight: 11 lb. 8 oz
    Controls:
    vol
    blend
    stacked bass & treble cut and boost (+- 12 db)
    stacked mid freq/mid cut and boost (+-12 db, 100hz-2K sweepable)

From the serial number, this bass was dated to 1992, and it obviously is in very excellent shape for being 21 years old. There are some superficial finish scratches and dings throughout, but as you can see from the photos, nothing at all major (the most noticeable ding is on the back of the headstock near the top left corner, and the most obvious scratches are in a cluster at the neck heel). The frets have a slight amount of visible wear, but not to the point where setup or playability are affected at all. There is a fair amount of oxidation on the gold plated parts, which is to be expected.

Chrome plated Dunlop straplocks were added at some point, and the original gold knobs were powder coated in black (probably as a solution to aging of the gold plating). The electronics, truss rod and hardware are all unaltered and function as they should. This version of the TL-Six did not have the active/passive toggle switch. Peavey did lots of tinkering with the TL series basses throughout their run, so a lot of variations are found among the ones that are out there.

There is one minor mystery with this bass - there is a hole in the control cavity plate (as seen in the photo of the rear of the body), which according to the manual is supposed to allow access to a preamp input control adjustment screw inside. However, I took the plate off and discovered that no such screw exists. It appears the electronics on this bass were not altered or removed, so maybe this is a plate taken from another bass that did have the adjustment screw, or it was an anomaly resulting from a design change.

As I didn't get a hardshell case with it, I'm shipping the bass with a generic padded gig bag. It'll go FedEx Ground insured unless requested otherwise.

A couple of notes about the photos: the color is not as orange as it appears in the pics - it is actually more of a deep red. In the picture of the front of the headstock, there is lots of dust captured by the angle of the sun, and what looks like discoloration is actually a reflection. In the picture of the back of the body, the white spots on the back of the neck are reflections.

[DEL]
    $725 shipped within the continental US
    [/DEL]
    $700 obo shipped within the continental US

I'm not interested in any trades right now. Local pickup is OK (I'm in Laguna Beach, CA)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. ad9000

ad9000 Supporting Member

Weekend bump + price drop
  3. ad9000

ad9000 Supporting Member

Sold and closed.