SOLD FS: Phil Jones Bass Cub in Oxblood/Tweed

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Preamps, and Cabinets' started by phishaholik, Jan 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phishaholik

phishaholik Supporting Member

I've made some realizations in my life lately and one of those is that I have a ton of bass gear and most of it rarely gets used. As a super busy father of three, I've decided to sell off a lot of my bass gear and downsize so I can put the money towards buying a new home.

I have for sale a Phil Jones Bass Cub in excellent condition with the carrying case. It has barely ever left my home and has been my bedroom amp since I got it, sitting nicely up on my dresser.

To save some time, I'm going to copy a review I did on this amp previously.

"So, I picked one of these up recently and I've had it for about of week of play time and I feel I've really tried it out enough for a review.

I used to own a Phil Jones Briefcase which I sold previously. I loved the tone, but it didn't get especially loud. I felt I was paying too much of a premium for the size of it and let it go. It ended up that I was dead wrong about that premium. I live in a very small house with a wife, 3 kids and a dog. I have absolutely no space for anything in my house and even a small practice amp in my bedroom was taking up too much room. I decided that that my best bet to get another amp in the bedroom, and hence expand my playing time, was to get another briefcase.

I started keeping an eye out for one and started seeing these new Bass Cubs for sale. There was one for a good deal here on TB right when I got a bonus, so I picked it up.

Aesthetics: My first impression was that this is a beautiful little amp. I got one with the red vinyl covering and the tweed grill. It looks fantastic in the bedroom, which is important to me and makes my wife happy. It really does look like a nice piece of furniture or an old school radio. I have it sitting on my dresser next to my flat screen TV and it fits in wonderfully.

Size and Portability: This amp is tiny, not just small, but tiny. It's about the size of a toaster and weighs about 13 pounds. It also comes with a padded carry bag and a tilt back handle underneath it. It also has feet on the bottom as well as the side, so you can have an even smaller footprint if you need it. The Briefcase is 30 pounds and closer to 40 if you add the battery. It might be small, but that's getting close to a Bergantino 2x12. The Cub is much, much more portable.

Volume and Tone: This amp sounds GREAT! I mean it really does sound fantastic, not just for its size. Its really growly and it even handles the E string just fine. It has a very even tone and I don't find a need to really use the EQ at all. The preamp is very quiet. I don't know it's even know its on unless I pluck a string. Here's the other weird thing, it's pretty darn loud too. It sounds much louder than the briefcase that I previously owned. This might have to do with the location of the amp. I used to keep the briefcase on the floor next to my bed and I have the Cub on my dresser at ear level. It is certainly loud enough for practice and with a guitar and even percussions, just not a loud drummer. Overall, I enjoy the tone of this amp much more than the Briefcase and I liked the Briefcase.

The Bonuses: It's small and light enough that I can carry it anywhere in my house to practice without a second thought. It's pretty enough that my wife likes having it around. I now have an amp that I can just plug in and play anywhere in the house or anywhere with an outlet for that matter. Finally, I called Phil Jones Sound because I wanted to remove the side feet to give it more of a clean appearance. They use different screws than the rest of the corner protectors and I wanted to order the chrome screws, so they would match. I talked to Phil directly and he happily offered to send me some free of charge.

If space is at a premium for you like me, and it really is at a premium at my house, there really isn't anything to compare to the Bass Cub."

Price:$399 plus shipping. I accept paypal, money order and cash. No international shipping.

Here is a stock photo. I'm going to try and get pics up soon.

[​IMG]

Michael

2. jebmd

jebmd Supporting Member

3. jacksplat

jacksplat

so does no international include Canada?

*sigh*

4. MR Greg

MR Greg Supporting Member Supporting Member

Michael

I would like to buy your amp. Please PM to make arrangements .
    Thanks
    Greg

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Wild Rice Chris

Wild Rice Chris Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Rice Custom Guitars, Inc
  7. MR Greg

MR Greg Supporting Member Supporting Member

Missed this one still looking

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.