FS/possible FT mid to late 90’s Spector “SSD” B.O.B. 5

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by SMG, Feb 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Another price drop...

For sale, possibly for trade...

This is a fairly rare Spector “SSD” B.O.B. 5 string bass. According to the Spector bass website, these basses were built between 1996 and 1999, though I thought the Stuart had the gotten the “Spector” nameplate back prior to 1999, but I could be wrong. (I would think Stuart Spector knows the history of his company much better then I do. Anyway, this bass was handmade in the workshop along side the more “traditional” or “well known” Spector body style.

The specs on this bass, from the Spector website are:
    B.O.B.4™
    B.O.B.5™
    B.O.B.4-FM™
    B.O.B.5-FM™
    The Bolt-On-Bass or B.O.B. as it came to be known. This is Stuart's first design based on a more traditional bass shape.

Offered as a single pickup 4 or 5-string or as a dual pickup 4 or 5-string with a deluxe figured maple top (FM), the B.O.B. was a successful model and laid the foundation for Stuart's desire to revisit other traditional designs such as the Coda™ bass.

• Traditional style flat body
    • Single Pickup Models had gloss solid color finishes
    • Dual Pickup Models had matte stained finishes with stained binding around the edges.
    • Bolt-on neck
    • One or Two Humbucking pickup(s)
    • EMG DC Pickups used in both versions
    • No Neck Markers
    • Slab Pau Ferro fingerboards
    • 9v EMG BT Circuit (single pickup)
    • 9v EMG BQC Circuit (dual pickups)
    • Black Hipshot Bridge
    • Black Gotoh Tuning Machines
    • Schaller Straplocks
    150 TOTAL across all four models

This one is obviously a dual pickup 5 string, but it has a gloss finish over a dark, teal to pine green (sort of between the blue green of a teal, but darker like a pine green) stained finish. The wood appears to possibly be swamp ash by the grain pattern, but I am not sure.

In order to fully disclose all issues with this bass, I have to point out that there is a small area (about the size of a stretched out nickel (about as long as a quarter) on the back of the neck, near the body joint, where the finish is worn really low or off. My guess is that someone had it on a stand whose surface and the guitar's finish didn't play well together...but as Monty Python would say, "...it's only a flesh wound." This was like this when I got the bass. This area is visible in the photo of the back and I am have added a detail photo of this area further in the thread

The bass plays really nice and sounds great. There are a couple of small chips in the finish, but nothing major considering it is about 15 years old. Probably a 8 or 8.5 out of 10.

The preamp tone controls are a bit scratchy, but I think they just need to be used more.

String spacing at the bridge is 17mm

The bass does not come with a case or gigbag.

As shown in the photo of the back of the headstock, this is number 009 in the production series of less than 150 B.O.B. basses.

If you love the feel of a Spector neck, but want a J type bass, this bass is made for you!

Asking [DEL]$1000[/DEL] shipped CONUS, Price drop: [DEL]$800[/DEL] $775 shipped CONUS
  2. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

photos of back...
  3. Zitch

Zitch Don't Slap the Cheesecake! Supporting Member

Media:
    Someone from the Spector Club needs to jump on this! Sweet bass bump!
  4. gmarcus

gmarcus Supporting Member

Scale length and weight?

Thanks
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. iceboxbass

iceboxbass Living the Dream! Gold Supporting Member

Would it be possible to see a full neck back/front picture please? Thank you!
  7. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

I will get scale, weight and full shots up this evening.
  8. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

9. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

photo of blemish on back of neck...
  10. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

As requested, here are full front and rear photos....

And, as requested, the bass is 34" scale and by my bathroom scale seems to weigh in around 10-10.5 lbs.
  11. smperry

smperry Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Nice. I briefly owned (and was impressed by) a BOB4.
  12. swpyne

swpyne Basses R Loaded! Gold Supporting Member

+1 Me too......

Very nice basses!
  13. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

bump for price drop
  14. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

bump for hump day, with price change
  15. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

16. Zitch

Zitch Don't Slap the Cheesecake! Supporting Member

Media:
    Surprised this is still here. $850 for a US made Spector sounds like a dream come true for someone...
  17. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

bump for price drop
  18. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

bumpity bump
  19. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

I was asked by someone here to compare this bass to a newer, more "traditional" Spector as far as sound, action, and feel... Luckily, I am in position to do this, having a Euro 5 (natural oil surface) and a USA NS5-JH (which is a 2002 bolt on with Jazz and Humbucking pickups). I have never actually compared these in this way, and the results really surprised me.

The BOB5 that is for sale in this thread plays and feels almost identical to the NS5-JH...but that shouldn't be a surprise as they were both made by Stuart. The BOB5 that I have feels different from the Euro 5 because the BOB5 has a lacquered neck, while the Euro is just oil.

Sound wise, they all are quite similar, with the biggest difference being that the BOB5 has an EMG preamp (upgraded model with treble, bass, mid and mid sweep) while both of the newer Spectors I compared them too have Tone Pumps (just treble and bass with just increase, no decrease). All three have "the Spector sound."
  20. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Bass is sold pending payment.
  21. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

OK...looks like this is back up for sale as I haven't heard back from person it was being held for...great hand made bass by Stuart Spector here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.