1. A Supporting membership is required to post items for sale in the classifieds

2. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.
  3. Please Read:Classifieds Rules, Usage Agreement, and FAQ for info on bumping, marking SOLD, and more.

FS: SCOTT MACDONALD CUSTOM 4

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by toothguy, Jan 6, 2014.

1. toothguy

toothguy Supporting Member

This is an amazing bass with meticulous attention to detail. True craftmanship. In addition to building some of the most fantastic instruments on this planet, Scott MacDonald is a factory authorized warranty repair genius for Martin, Taylor, and Gibson; when they can't fix something, they send it to Scott for his unique blend of magic and skill. This bass is a prime example of his talents.
    -Seasoned 15 year old Ebony frett board
    -Seasoned 15 year old 5A Claro Walnut body
    -Quarter sawn 5A flamed Maple neck
    -Thick (1/2") exhibition grade quilted Koa top
    -Hand rubbed oil finish
    -Pickups are housed in quilted Koa covers
    -Chocolate Rosewood knobs
    -"A" style Hipshot bridge
    -Gold ultralite Hipshot tuners
    -Custom Lindy Fralin electronics: the pickups are "scatter
    wound (pickup wire is wound in series with the bobbins
    placed in a verticle arrangement)
    Essentially, under each jazz pickup cover is a mini MusicMan
    pickup but wired in the classic Jazz bass style (not the
    parallel MusicMan style)
    -Neck width: 1 11/16"
    -19 mm string spacing
    -Approx. 9 1/2 lbs.
    -34" scale
    -Shipped in a Reunion Blues gig bag
    This bass gives a clear powerful Jazz bass tone with smooth glassy highs and the bottom end capability of a MusicMan-
    The best of all worlds in one beautiful package
    Visit www.customguitars.com to learn more about Scott and to see his amazing work
    -$5000.00 Shipped
    NO TRADES. Con US only. PayPal accepted. PM me with your email address for pictures

2. kylej7

kylej7

would love to see pics and hear some clips.

3. toothguy

4. Wwolof

Wwolof

Can you upload some photos to photobucket.com? It's free — if you do, PM me with a link and I'll stick them up here. You won't sell a bass that expensive here without pics.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher Supporting Member

pics

Attached Files:

• sbm1.jpg
      sbm1.jpg
      File size:
      324.5 KB
      Views:
    • sbm2.jpg
      sbm2.jpg
      File size:
      257.3 KB
      Views:
  7. Rumblefisher

more pics

Attached Files:

• sbm3.jpg
      sbm3.jpg
      File size:
      293.8 KB
      Views:
    • sbm4.jpg
      sbm4.jpg
      File size:
      307.8 KB
      Views:
  8. Rumblefisher

Just a few words on behalf of toothguy...

I know Scott MacDonald. He is one of those people that can make ANYTHING he imagines happen. His shop is basically a luthier's equivalent of the Willy Wonka factory. He has instrument building equipment in some cases 100's of years old, meticulously restored, fully operation, and wonderful to behold.
    Scott is a bit on the eccentric side, and I mean that in the best possible sense...he is not happy with his work until it is perfect. At the same time, his take on guitar building is that he is taking something provided by nature (some really beautiful wood) and giving it life again in the form of an instrument a player should be inspired by to play.
    He is a fantastic luthier, VERY well known in NY, and even more well known in the guitar world as a repairman/restoration genius.

I know this bass. It is my absolute favorite bass of all time. If I had the cash, there wouldn't even be a discussion...it'd be mine.

The sound is unreal. Unreal. Articulate, deep, smooth, forceful. The pickups were custom made by Lindy Fralin so that the are "mini MM" pickups. They are humbuckers wired in series, scatterwound, and overwound to be very high output pickups.
    They sound amazing with Scott's electronics, which are passive, point to point wired (seriously, the cavity looks like a boutique pedal).

The feel is perfect. I have discussed with Scott in the past (to the point of annoying him really) the differences between 10 and 12 inch radii on fretboards, D vs U vs C necks, 34" vs 33" scale length, etc etc. His response was pretty much: "slow down, relax, play one of these necks here (handing me a bass of his). I remember playing that bass and not giving a you-know-what about the specs...whatever spec this neck was, was fantastic! (later Scott told me that he compound radius' his boards to be 9.75 --> 7.25 I believe, with a soft C shape.

The build is immaculate. SOLID, fairly light, and just the absolute utmost craftsmanship. Quartersawn maple wood for the neck with graphite stiffening rod, the thing will never move. The ebony fretboard is Gaboon ebony Scott had for nearly 2 decades, curing it to his stringent specs. The Claro Walnut back is beautiful, and that piece of Koa is unbelievable.
    That, my friends, is true dense, old growth Koa and just a special piece of wood. In person, the pools of gold, red, deep chocolate combine to form a mesmerizing sight. It just has that "it" factor that you can instantly recognize, and it is inspiring.

In short, you can't hold this bass and NOT want to use it to be a better player. Whoever is lucky enough to buy this bass, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE take care of it...I aim to buy it from you someday.

9. jonno1707

jonno1707 Supporting Member

10. toothguy

Constantine, thank you very much for the photos and the description. Truer words were never spoken!
    This really is a beautiful bass. It needs to be in the hands of someone who will make it sing as it was built to sing!

11. toothguy

12. toothguy

13. toothguy

14. toothguy

Front: ImageUploadedByTalkBass1389471412.582948.jpg
    Back: ImageUploadedByTalkBass1389471459.278941.jpg
    And: ImageUploadedByTalkBass1389471540.154063.jpg

15. toothguy

16. toothguy

17. toothguy

18. toothguy

BUMP for some crazy boutique goodness!

19. flyboy320

flyboy320

YIKES! beautiful! Bump for a great guy that babies his equipment! With a custom wood shipping crate!

20. toothguy

Ah, you remembered.

21. toothguy