1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

FS: String Adapters for Steinberger Style Intruments

Discussion in 'For Sale: Accessories' started by Slowgypsy, Feb 14, 2010.

1. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

For Sale: String Adapters for Steinberger-style headless instruments. Just choose which model you want, and what material you want it made from.

These string adapters will allow you to use any standard single-ball string. Any brand. Any gauge. Roundwound or flatwound. Now you can take advantage of the much larger selection and variety of standard single-ball strings. The following pictures show: 4/5 string bass and 6 string guitar models in Aluminum and Brass, how the Aluminum 4-string model looks installed on my own Steinberger Spirit (not included!).

These string adapters are professionally made to the highest standards and work perfectly on both right and left handed instruments. Engineered to eliminate the "stripped thread" problems common on other string adapters. Using only the finest materials, they are milled on all sides from either solid alloy 6061 Aluminum or solid alloy 360 Brass, with alloy 18-8 Stainless Steel set screws on all models. Easily installs in minutes. No drilling or screwing. Will not damage your instrument in any way. Each string adapter comes complete with detailed step-by-step installation instructions and premium ball-point wrench.

Each string adapter costs $40.00

I ship all orders (domestic & international) via US Postal Service First Class Mail. Shipping costs are included in the $40.00 price. There are no additional charges.

HOW TO ORDER

(1) First choose your model.

4-string bass 1-1/2" (38mm).......fits Steinberger (Newburgh-era, Spirit, USA) -- Hohner -- Cort

5-string bass 1-1/2" (38mm).......fits earlier Steinberger Newburgh-era L2 with narrow nut or conversion kit

5-string bass 1-3/4" (45mm).......fits later Steinberger (Newburgh-era, Spirit, USA) -- Hohner -- Cort

6-string guitar 1-5/8" (41mm).....fits Steinberger (Newburgh-era, Spirit, USA) -- Hohner -- Cort

(2) Then choose your material.

Brass............. gold colored heavyweight metal which some folks say adds to sustain.

Aluminum..... silver colored lightweight metal won't change tonal balance of your instrument.

Just tell me your model/material selection in the "note to seller" section on your Paypal payment or as a separate email. I always send a note confirming your model/material selection and your shipping address. Please feel free to contact me at any time if you need help and/or advice in making your selections.

I can also make custom string adapters for your special project. Please contact me to discuss this option.

Try it out. If you feel it's not right for you it can be returned for a full refund.

I've sold hundreds of these on Ebay. I have perfect feedback which I've worked very hard to get.
    My Ebay screen name is: pwefx21tw

Buy with confidence. Made in the USA by a bass player for fellow musicians everywhere.

pwefx21tw@mac.com

Attached Files:

2. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

Bump for an absolutely awesome piece of hardware!

I can use whatever strings I want on my Steinberger now. A joy for both my ears and my pocketbook!

I got two of these and can switch out between standard strings and a piccolo set in a couple minutes.
  3. Slowgypsy

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

Thank you for the kind words. Another happy customer....:hyper:
  4. Slowgypsy

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

Bump for folks looking for these...
  5. blubolt

blubolt

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0

This part requires that the original neck end string holder is in place correct? this installs on top of that piece?
  6. Slowgypsy

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

That's correct. The part you're referring to is called the "headpiece" and my string adapters are designed to work with that piece.
  7. piringer

piringer

0   0   0

Hi,

I have a 90s Steinberger XQ4 bass guitar and I'm thinking to put a String adapter on it. I'm not sure if it fits. Please let me know asap so I can order it.

Thanks
  8. Slowgypsy

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

My string adapters for 4-string bass will fit your instrument perfectly. This model, in either aluminum or brass, is in stock and ready for immediate shipment.

Thanks for your interest.
  9. DanRJBrasil

DanRJBrasil

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0

I bought one form him at ebay, works very well and its easy to use , I do recommend !
  10. Slowgypsy

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

Monthly bump....
  11. Slowgypsy

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

End of month bump.
  12. Slowgypsy

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

August bump....
  13. Slowgypsy

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

September bump....
  14. bassflyer13

bassflyer13

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

Hey Slowgypsy,

Here's a question: Is it okay to use the adapter upside-down? I've been thinking about doing this so the adapter won't stick up above the fretboard, and it would look cleaner this way.

The holes look like they're all the same size and the thing's symmetrical, I don't see why it won't work but since you make these things I figure you might know something I don't. I can see how inverting the adapter would partially block access to the truss rod, but I'm okay with that.

Thanks!
  15. Slowgypsy

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

You can mount the string adapter either way no problem. As you already pointed out, the only downside to mounting it with the set-screw holes facing down is the truss rod nut access is blocked. One word of caution however... take care if you're going to remove the same set of strings from the string adapter and then re-use them... all strings take the initial set screw clamping just fine, but some don't take well to being re-clamped.
  16. bassflyer13

bassflyer13

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

Coolness!

Thanks for the reply, and the tip about strings not taking well to being clamped more than once.

Cheers!
  17. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

Do what I did! Buy two, one for each set of strings! With these I was able to go from a standard set to a piccolo set insanely fast. :bassist:
  18. Slowgypsy

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

Bump for 2011
  19. Slowgypsy

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

April bump :bassist:
  20. Slowgypsy