SOLD FS: Sunn 200s

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Preamps, and Cabinets' started by headband, Mar 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. headband

headband Supporting Member

I'm selling my Sunn 200s. I hate to do this but I need to downsize so some of my collection has to go. I have had this amp for several years (don't remember when I got it) and it had some power supply issues. I replaced the troubled caps with the Triode Electronics SDS Board for the Dynaco Mk III.
    From their website:
    "These SDS Labs and TriodeElectronics Power Supply boards replace the original can capacitors in Dynaco Mk3, Mk2 and ST70. Fit on standoffs under the output transformers, no cutting or drilling required to install, just bolt in, hook up the wires and go!
    The Mk3 board increases capacity to 60-60-60-60 uF (two 120 uF in series per section) and the voltage rating to 630V per section and eliminates capacitor problems the original 525V rated cap had that are caused by high line voltages and allows the use of solid-state diode replacements as well as the original tube (5AR4/GZ34 or 5U4) rectifier.The Mark 3 board also works on Dynaco Mark 2 (50 ohm 5W resistor required for Mark 2, not included), and most Sunn amplifiers that use Dynaco transformers."

I decided to use solid state rectification for two reasons: SS increases the B+ voltage with a net increase in power output up to approx. 70 Watts (from the original 55), and it tightens up the low notes, which can sound a bit wooly with the tube rectifier. This is reversible if someone wants to convert back.

The amp is in very good cosmetic condition for its age, with only minor marking on the tolex. Grill cloth is original too. Comes with Svetlana KT88's (SED) - (I bought these a long time ago, before the lawsuit that forced the "Winged C" brand name) these sound very good and are reliable. The output tubes have only around 25 hours on them. They should last a good long time. This is a good one, and there aren't too many of these around in this kind of condition, cosmetically and electrically.
    All in all, a great sounding, very reliable vintage amp with some needed updates and improvements.
    [​IMG]

Price: $650 shipped CONUS only. No international sales.

More photos can be found here:
    http://s1113.photobucket.com/user/john_gillespie1/slideshow/Sunn 200s

2. Fuzzonaut

Fuzzonaut

Very nice amp - but wrong country type bump.

3. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage. Supporting Member

Oh dude. I want this. But if I bought it, my wallet might literally strangle me. GLWS, these are so, so very killer.

4. headband

Bump for a Sunn.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bass_case

bass_case Used Register Supporting Member

7. sneha1965

sneha1965 Supporting Member

You wouldn't happen to have any sound clips of this beauty?

8. headband

I wish I did. I don't have a means to record it that would do it justice. It has a good vintage sound and doesn't drop out on the low end. You can thank the excellent hifi Dynaco transformers for that.

9. headband

SATurday bump (you know what come tomorrow...)

10. headband

11. Professor X

Professor X

Had I not just bought a mesa buster I would've all over this... Glwts!

12. headband

Sold, and heading to Washington! Buyer got a really good one.

13. JeanChretien

JeanChretien

14. headband

15. JeanChretien

JeanChretien

received amp today. it sounds amazing! great TB'er!

16. headband

And closed! Great amp going to someone that appreciates it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.