SOLD FS/T: Lakland Skyline DJ5 Darryl Jones in Metallic Grey

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Eublet, Jan 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eublet

Eublet Supporting Member

What's that famous White Snake song? Oh yeah, "Here I Go Again."

I've made a career out of buying and selling DJ's and 44/55-series basses it seems. I don't really know why. I buy them because I love them. I sell them because I want a different one. This one is superb in every sense.

I didn't want a Metallic Grey DJ when I bought this one. I had only seen pictures, and was told the pictures really don't do it justice. This is true. The metallic shimmer really doens't come out until you see it in person. The closest representation I've seen of this online is a youtube video linked below. This is in German, but watch it all the way through anyway. As he spins the bass around on the camera, you can see that sheen it has, and the recording of it also sounds fantastic even if the playing is a bit sloppy. Make sure you set the video to the 720HD setting so you get the least compressed image and audio. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8bE7lHCc08

The video demonstrates the vintage, burpy, growly tone and grind of a great jazz bass. Mine sounds exactly like this. It has the Lakland vintage pickups in it, and they are my favorite jazz pickups. The pickguard is Plexiglass or something. Perfectly clear. I'm not sure what it is, but the cool thing is that it does not take swirlies like most pickguards take. This one has absolutely zero sign of wear at all!

The bass is in near mint condition. Check my feedback when I say something like this. Not a ding on this bass anywhere. The born on date was January 2012, and I am the original owner. It's never seen any smoke or club. It's sat in my house when not used a few times per month at my local church.

Updated: Below is an actual picture of my bass, amateurish as I am with a camera. As such I think the video link is the BEST way to see and hear what this bass is. Mine is EXACTLY like the one in that video. Again, PLEASE do yourself a favor and watch the video first as the picture looks really dull and boring.

Weight on this one is 9.1 lbs.

Price: $1100 shipped in the CON-US.

Trades: I'm closing trade options at this point as I've found the bass I am going to purchase as a replacement here, so I just need to sell.

The video again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8bE7lHCc08

Updated: Here is an actual picture of my bass.
    [​IMG]

2. Saluki

Saluki Supporting Member

Jason,

You have a weight?

3. Eublet

Eublet Supporting Member

Yes! I'm glad you asked. When I decided to buy one of these I went on a search to find the lightest one I could. Bass Central, where I've bought a dozen or so Laklands, had this one at 9 lbs but their scale rounds to the nearest half pound. I weighed the bass at 9.1 lbs when it arrived. Not bad for a 35" scale 5 string with a Jazz-style body!

4. Saluki

Saluki Supporting Member

Thought it might help for the sale. I would pick it up if I could. My first DJ5 was 11.5 lbs. GLWTS!!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. funkboy5

funkboy5 19mm + 35" = :-) Bass'd on a true story Supporting Member

Nice - Been looking for one....kinda sorta.

How's the slap vibe on these? Not really a big time slapper but you know...

NEVER MIND - just checked out the video - sweet

7. Eublet

Eublet Supporting Member

Yeah, it's a jazz bass at heart, so it slaps great. DJ's are my favorite because of the bottom horn. There's an extra fret at the top over a standard J bass, plus the cutaway lets you get all the way to it without bottoming out. The horn on a standard jazz bass also sticks out further, about two full frets if you compare, than the DJ. The sleeker, more slender body just makes it feel more comfy to me.

Anyway. I'm in the process posting up a pic I just took, so stay tuned!

8. funkboy5

Yeah the bottom horn, fret access and sleeker body is def a plus IMHO as compared to a conventional jazz bass. A pm is probably coming your way.

9. Eublet

Eublet Supporting Member

The picture above is now an actual pic of my bass that I just took. I bought my wife a Canon DSLR for Christmas, but I have almost no idea how to use it! It turned out pretty good I think, but still doesn't do the bass justice.

10. Eublet

Eublet Supporting Member

11. kwdhsk

kwdhsk

I'm droolin' here. Wow what a beautiful bass. I wish I had the cash . . .

12. Eublet

Eublet Supporting Member

Me too! :D

I'm no longer taking trades on this one. I found my next bass and am proceeding with the purchase. So just wanting the cash from this one to put back into my perpetual gear fund.

13. Tonegasm

Tonegasm www.richwronski.com Supporting Member

I have the exact same bass with an Audere JZ3. Best and most versatile bass I own, hands down. GLWTS.

14. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Jason

Sorry this one is going

DJs look and sound awesome.....and the grey metal flake us so cool....

Glwts

15. funkboy5

Where did you find the Audere jazz plate if you don't mind me asking?

16. Eublet

Eublet Supporting Member

Dave at Audere used to have some. It's always worth checking with him first if you want this. I put Audere's into a couple of DJ's in the past. One time he had one in, another time he didn't. That second time, I just left the Z switch internal as I never use it anyway, along with the battery LED. If you tell Dave that you are going to do this, then he can send you the preamp with the pots mounted that'll fit the curved plate. It's a minor change if I recall correctly.

Also, you can get replacement plates from Lakland now that the DJ is back in production.

Just a few ideas for you to consider.

17. funkboy5

thanks...

18. Eublet

Eublet Supporting Member

Thanks, Doug. Apparently my GAS isn't in remission after all.

19. Eublet

Eublet Supporting Member

20. Eublet

Eublet Supporting Member

Sorry for the tease everyone. I've decided it would be silly to sell this one, as history shows I'll just buy another one in few months to replace it. I'm going to put this one in a case, and sit it in my closet for a rainy day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.