1. A Supporting membership is required to post items for sale in the classifieds

2. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.
  3. Please Read:Classifieds Rules, Usage Agreement, and FAQ for info on bumping, marking SOLD, and more.

SOLD FS - Tobias Basic 6 Pre-Gibson #912 (1988)

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Lobaw, Feb 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lobaw

Lobaw

I had this bass posted a few years ago, but pulled it because I started to use it again. Well I'm back to playing 4 string most of the time. So, as much as I would like to keep it, it’s time to move it on to another good home.

I am the original owner of this bass built by Michael Tobias in 1988. According to Michael, it was the last one delivered that year. It is stamped 912 in the electronics cavity. It has a flamed maple body, maple neck with purple heart stringers and a rosewood fingerboard. I have always strung it with Ken Smith strings from low B to high C. It has been maintained by Mike Lull for the last many years and is in near perfect condition. It plays incredibly well and sounds great through just about every rig I’ve used.

It has Bartolini pick-ups and operates at 9 volts and I believe the electronics are also Bartolini. It has a passive/active switch, a single volume control and a pick-up balance control. There are bass, mid and treble controls, which operate in active mode. String spacing is 17.5mm.

There are a few minor marks, which I’ve tried to show in the photos. It comes with the original hardshell case, which is also in near mint condition.

Here's a link to the photos:

https://picasaweb.google.com/dweise09/TobiasBasic6?authkey=Gv1sRgCITy4oblj9PlJw

$3100.00 shipped CONUS. No trades and I prefer to not use Paypal.

Thanks for looking.

2. Brams77

Brams77 Supporting Member

Well this is crazy first you see no pre Gibson Tobias 6 string basses at all, and now there are two for sale;)
    Beautiful instrument! GLWTS!

3. Laccammusic

Laccammusic Lac cam

4. basspro557

basspro557 Supporting Member

Very Nice.......................

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Lobaw

Lobaw

Thanks for all of the great compliments. Not only is it a nice looking bass, it's a great playing bass!! It's especially good for those of you who want a tight string spacing.

7. Brams77

Brams77 Supporting Member

Yeah it's actually closer to 17mm then 17,5 mm at the nut it is 8,5mm

8. notejung

notejung Supporting Member

How much is it weight?

9. Lobaw

Lobaw

I'll weigh the bass tonight.

10. Neuroman

Neuroman BHPD - Forget about me. Save yourselves! Supporting Member

11. Lobaw

Lobaw

I finally got a chance to weigh the bass. Much to my surprise, the bathroom scale read 9+ lbs.

I never knew that 2 more strings can add so much weight:)

Also, responded to recent PM.

Thanks for posting the photos in the string, Neuroman. I would have to agree that the bass looks good.

12. Lobaw

Lobaw

And to the top...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.