1. Classifieds Rules, Usage Agreement, and FAQ

A Supporting membership is required to post items for sale in the classifieds

New posts to classifieds threads will only bump the thread once every 24 hours. Posts made before 24 hours since the last bump, will not bump the thread.

FS: Tokai AJB-61 Sunburst/RW Jazz Bass-Excellent!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by slap2much, Oct 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slap2much

slap2much Supporting Member

Continuing the downsizing and now it's time to admit there's really no reason to own five jazz basses (well, maybe I should say there's really no good reason)...this Tokai (I think 1986 according to catalog scans on tokairegistry) could be sitting on the wall with all the sixties Jazzes at Chicago Music Exchange and if you were going just by feel and sound alone it'd be a challenge to pick it out of the crowd. It was really, really lightly used. A couple tiny spots on the back but otherwise looks like it was barely touched. Electronics and finish are definitely all original; the only thing that I'm not sure about is the pickguard which originally was a bad 4-ply tort that had started to peel. I finished the job (came off pretty easily actually) and now it's a 3-ply aged white which looks a lot better imo. I did also replace the stock saddles with Fender threaded ones, but have the originals & will send them along too.

Price on this is $425 + actual shipping via FedEx Ground (Residential if necessary). I'll knock off fifty bucks if someone commits before I get around to doing a thorough set of pics, after that the price is firm. Below are a couple of cell pics, sorry about the quality but you get the picture. Currently set up with medium-low action and wearing a fairly new set of D'Addario Chromes. PM with questions, offers, etc...really not looking for trades but if we can swing a 2 or 3 (of mine) for 1 (of yours) I might consider it. Must be Fender, vintage and substantially original. Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. emblymouse

emblymouse I Dig A Pony Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist Lakland**Bag End**Schroeder
    Bump! This is an excellent J in what looks like excellent condition. I had it's mate, a APB'57 P by Tokai and it was really good. So much cooler than a Squier or SX.
  3. slap2much

Thanks E. I've been a big fan of Tokai instruments ever since I picked up one of their Strat clones back in my guitar playing days...haven't had much of an opportunity to put this one to work, usually when I go for a Jazz it's one of my 70s maple/ash types. I should mention that if you go with steel or nickel rounds there's loads more 'growl,' and you can still roll back the treble / switch to more neck pickup to bring back the 'thump.'
  4. Sleepwalker42

Sleepwalker42

Great deal, I have a Tokai JB fretless that sounds the same or better than the Jaco artist series. You can't go wrong with price/quality!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. slap2much

Thanks, it is a very vintage Fender-ish instrument and the price is nice for what you get. I looked at some old catalog scans on tokairegistry and found this model in the 1986 lineup.
  7. slap2much

I'll leave this with the $50 discount til the end of the weekend. Bump.
  8. bassinstincts

bassinstincts

Disclosures:
    Acoustic Image
  9. slap2much

Somewhere between 8 and 9 pounds according to the bathroom scale. I will try to get a more accurate reading soon...
  10. slap2much

Hoping to get real pics up by Sunday night bump...
  11. slap2much

For those of you looking for the fretted/fretless option, I'll put this together with the Allparts fretless lined neck (ebony fretboard) for $550 plus shipping...note that I haven't actually bolted that neck up on this body, but everything measures out OK.
  12. slap2much

pending payment.
  13. bassman28

bassman28 Supporting Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.