SOLD FS: Vintage 1970s Fender Jazz Bass in excellent condition

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by TimBosby, Dec 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Well, she didn't sell yesterday as I'd hoped, and I'm leaving town in a couple hours until January 2nd. Even though I won't be able to ship until I get back, I'll keep the listing up in case anyone would like to make an offer.

This is a USA-made 1978 Fender Jazz, not a re-issue. This bass is 34 years old. Older than me - (barely!) She's a beauty but so is money.

Body, neck, tuners, and pickups are original. There have been some mods / upgrades, as described below.

She's made of Northern ash and consequently weighs about 10.5 lbs, which is actually fairly light for Fenders from this era. Gorgeous flamed maple neck and fretboard. Recently re-fretted with the back of the neck re-finished in smooth, smooth satin - both expert jobs by Pat Wilkins several months ago. He also installed a brand new nut. A couple years ago, Pat re-finished the body in a beautiful translucent root beer brown. The grain of the ash body pops nicely through the beautiful brown finish. I also had Pat convert the 3-bolt neck to a 4-bolt because the original neck pocket had large gap. Now the pocket is much tighter. The original chrome tuners are remarkably shiny. I've tried several preamps but finally settled on a KSD 2-band. The controls are master volume (with push/pull passive) / blend / treble-bass stack. Battery box installed on the back. Fender reissue grooved saddle bridge on it. I put two tiny screws in the bridge cover holes. Some minor scratches and dings from hardware changes etc. There is a slightly dark circular area below the neck plate which is where the 3-bolt micro-tilt adjustment used to be. Wilkins removed the micro-tilt and added a piece of wood to fill in the space. It's not terribly noticeable in person, and it's on the back, so it's never really bothered me. The bass must have once had a side input jack (and then been converted back to a top jack), because there is a small dark ring on the side of the body where an input jack would go. I forgot to take pictures of that but can do so if it's of concern. Again, not very noticeable. The neck has some small blemishes but is in amazing shape overall. Schaller straplocks. Case pictured is a G&G Fender/reissue and will be included. You also have the option of saving $100 w/ no case, or saving $60 with a generic Musician's Friend black hard case.

$1600 + actual shipping... or best offer to the lower 48. If you want to throw some money down and pay the rest in January, I'm totally willing to work with you.

No trades, sorry!

Sound clips and shipping quotes available upon request.

PICS

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. shrimpflea

shrimpflea

Love the color....good luck with the sale.

3. Joe Milstein

Joe Milstein Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Gamma Bass Guitars
  4. the art guy

the art guy Supporting Member

Very nice. Makes me wish I played Jazz Basses. ;) Good luck with it!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. TimBosby

Made it to Wisconsin in one piece bump! A car spun out in front of me in Des Moines and I was mere seconds from T-boning him but was able to brake and swerve in the nick of time. Happy to be alive.

7. the art guy

the art guy Supporting Member

Oh sorry, that was me.

Just kidding. "Glad you made it/things are a little shaky in the midwest" bump.

8. TimBosby

Had-a-little-too-much-Christmas-spirit-last-night-bump! :meh:

This is one super-sweet bass. I can direct you to sound clips if you are interested.

9. Project7Bass

Project7Bass Supporting Member

Someone buy this! Before I do and my wife kicks me to the curb! Lol

10. TimBosby

Looks like, at long last, this puppy may finally be sold (pending payment, which is in the mail.)

11. TimBosby

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.