1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

FS: Vintage '73 Fender Precision - "A" Neck - Very Cool!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by peabody, Nov 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    98   0   0

I just pulled the trigger on the bass of my dreams (an Alembic Exploiter) so in order to make room (and pay for it) this beauty has to go....

This is the real deal. A '73/'74 transition Precision with the coveted "A" neck, but with a rosewood board in a beautiful 3T 'burst.

I bought this from Kevin Borden (Kebo's Bass Works) and this is how he described it when I bought it...

Fender Precision 1973 A-neck!!! Kebo’s Gold Certified – A really nice SB/RW A-NECK Pbass that is a 73/74 transition. Nice 8.8 lbs, 513xxx sn, 7331 harness that had a cold ground wire heated up, long g-bridge, 01014223 neck (Pbass, rw, 42nd week, 1972, Wed), get this…the bass has the rare but no-doubt original 70’s black bobbins that had the yellow date stamp with original wire, leads, windings, etc. and again this is guaranteed real deal. Bass shows mild wear and is in great shape. The case is a late 70’s Fender hardshell road case. What a great bass!

I have only made three changes to the bass since this description.

• First, I had a tort pickguard custom made to give the bass a more vintage look. The original black pickguard will also be included. The black pickguard does have the tip broken off down by the input jack...which is not uncommon with the older P-bass guards.
    • Second, I now have the bass in a Fender G&G Tweed case....which of course will be included.
    • Third, I installed Dunlop strap locks, but the original strap buttons will be included.
    You will love this bass. It's light, plays like a dream, and it's in great condition. The neck has absolutely no issues (in fact the back of the neck is flawless), truss rod works like it should (and is currently flush with the heel), and the frets are in terrific shape.

If you are looking for a collector and a player, this is the bass for you.

Price is [DEL]$2500 shipped [/DEL] (SEE BELOW FOR NEW PRICE) to the lower 48....payment via PayPal or a USPS Money Order. I'd certainly consider shipping it out of the U.S., so feel free to contact me for a shipping quote.

Sorry, no trades...I need the cash for the Alembic.

Just let me know if you have any questions. PM me or shoot me an e-mail at peabody59@gmail.com.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. BrickBat66

BrickBat66

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0

3. Rob L

Rob L Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    54   0   0

Wow!! I love my early 70's P bass. The tort gaurd looks great. Someone will be very happy. GLWTS..
  4. justjake

justjake

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0

damn.........i have a alembic i would have swapped for this...........nice !!!
  5. peabody

Rating - 100%
    98   0   0

Nut bump....

[​IMG]
  6. ZSavage

ZSavage GrooveBopDeluxe Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

just sent email
  7. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    112   0   0

8. Eskimo Spy

Eskimo Spy Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0

What kind of strings are currently on it, and what gauge?

This would look really nice beside my '73 P bass. Oh, and when did they move the pull bar above the strings, was it '74?
  9. peabody

Rating - 100%
    98   0   0

It currently has D'Addario Chromes on it...light gauge.

Kevin Borden officially declared it a '73, but he also called it a '73/'74 transition bass....and I think that's why the thumb is rest is installed where it is...and why the original pickguard is black.
  10. peabody

Rating - 100%
    98   0   0

The back of the neck is smooth as a baby's bottom...

[​IMG]
  11. peabody

Rating - 100%
    98   0   0

"I guess I should dust more often" bump....

[​IMG]
  12. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

That is a pretty thing. Although a "nut bump" doesn't seem all that fun to me.

Best of luck with your sale.
  13. Red Four

Red Four

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Awesome. I have a '75 with an A neck, and I love it. Yours is in better condition than mine, though, especially that pristine-looking neck finish. GLWTS.
  14. RS

RS Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    71   0   0

That's sexy. GLWTS.
  15. Eskimo Spy

Eskimo Spy Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0

I assume this doesn't have the covers with it then, correct?
  16. peabody

Rating - 100%
    98   0   0

Sorry....I don't have the original covers. It's amazing how many of these never stayed with the bass over the years. There must be thousands of orphan covers out there someplace.

Tell you what....

I do have a set of authentic early 70's P-bass covers (I just have to dig them out of my parts box). I bought these a few years ago for a bass, but never used them. While they are period correct (I think there is still foam in the bridge cover), they are not original to this bass. However, if someone pulls the trigger on this bass before the end of the week...let's say by Friday, 11/23, 5:00 PM CST...I will throw the covers in for free.

I'll pull them out and try to get some pics posted tonight.

I guess you can consider this is my own little Black Friday sale.....
  17. GolfGuy

GolfGuy Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

I want this bass!! It's killing me...just retiring and won't have access to funds for 30 days:crying:
  18. peabody

Rating - 100%
    98   0   0

Okay, in an effort to try to get this closed by Thanksgiving, I offer the following deal....

If you are willing to pay via a USPS Money Order (well, technically three money orders since the P.O. has a $1000 limit on each), I'm willing to let this beauty go for $2250 shipped.

This is definitely a "you snooze, you lose" type of deal.
  19. peabody

Rating - 100%
    98   0   0

FYI...

Here's a glimpse of what it would look like with the covers I have. As I mentioned, while these are not original to this bass, they are authentic 70's covers....with the foam mutes still in both covers.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  20. funkyjudge

funkyjudge Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0

Man, I want that bass sooooo badly! Unfortunately, being semi-retired, I would need to sell 2 or 3 of my current basses (or an amp and 1 or 2 basses), just to afford it. It is absolutely perfect (or darned near perfect) for me, and I'd keep the covers on it to make full use of the foam mutes. The only thing I would change is that I'd put a set of medium-heavy LaBella Deep Talkin' Flats on it!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.