1. A Supporting membership is required to post items for sale in the classifieds

2. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.
  3. Please Read:Classifieds Rules, Usage Agreement, and FAQ for info on bumping, marking SOLD, and more.

FT 1971 Fretless PBass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by drums1977, Jan 19, 2014.

1. drums1977

drums1977

For trade my beloved 1971 Fender Fretless PBass. I have read that Fender started producing fretless Precisions at about this time, so this must be one of the oldest. It is VERY light, just 4 kg on my bathroom scales.

To my knowledge, all is original in this bass except the PU and the truss rod adjustment screw. When I got it, it had an active PU set installed, and an extra jack connector. I sent it to the technician, who removed the connector, repaired the hole in the pickguard and installed a brandnew set of handmade PBass Lollars that sound amazingly similar to a good set of late 60s Fenders. The original Truss rod screw was a bit skanky, so I had a new one installed. I sitill have the old one though.

This bass has been played, and it looks it. The fingerboard is in great shape. The finish is original and in good condition, with dings and scratches. The paint at bottom of the body is more worn, please look at the pictures. I like the mojo, though.

[​IMG]

The bass plays and sounds great. I have detected a slight buzzing spot at the C position on the A string, that's all.
    A lot of pictures here:

http://s1314.photobucket.com/user/roquefort2000/library/1971 Fretless Precision Bass?sort=3&page=1

It comes in its OHC, and with the original PU cover, bridge cover and thumbrest.

For the trade, I am interested in FRETTED Fenders, P or J, vintage or CS. I am doing this because I am rubbish playing fretless. I actually love this bass :atoz:

Would be happy to trade for a more expensive bass adding some cash.

PMed your proposals. Cheers!!

2. 707hippie

707hippie Supporting Member

Where is this located ??

3. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

One would logically guess Malaga, Spain. Lovely bass in nice shape. I wish I needed another FL.

4. drums1977

drums1977

The bass in in Malaga, Spain. Shipping is not an issue, and cheaper than you think :)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Marial

Marial Three Weeks of Freedom Start Right NOW Gold Supporting Member

Hurt me... how much for a straight sale? Just out of curiosity. I've been debating on whether or not to let my Pentabuzz go in order to fund a seventies fretless P or J.

7. DionClassic

DionClassic

8. hook_off

hook_off Supporting Member

any cash interest?

9. 707hippie

707hippie Supporting Member

I have a 77=78 p but I would as well like to see a cash price I might be able to swing.I had my eye on something else but I want to live past February

10. drums1977

drums1977

Hi all,

I prefer to trade it for the right bass, but I would be happy to sell it for the right price too. Feel free to send me your offers by PM.

Cheers!

11. seang15

seang15 Supporting Member

If you don't mind my stating; Seems if you love this bass, you should get a new FRETTED neck from the Custom Shop!

This bass already is not original, so you're not really killing resale value. Seems the body is the component most original (original finish!) and you'll be keeping that. You can sell the FL neck for some $$$ and buy a CS fretted neck with that cash. Seems a win all-around for you! You keep your bass, your case, your mojo!! And get a CS neck. I mean, even Geddy's '72 bass has a new CS neck!

Good luck!! :hyper:
    Sean

12. bass_case

bass_case Used Register Supporting Member

Nice. I have the same bass, but defiled with a dimarzio j pickup. Yours is in very nice shape. I saw a case queen listed on ebay for $4200 recently, don't know if it sold or not.

13. drums1977

drums1977

Yes, that is a good idea. The thing is that I already tried to trade/sell the neck, but I wasn't lucky... That's why I am offering now the whole guitar. Also, to be honest, I think it is a bit of a shame to separate the body and neck. They have spent more than 40 years together, you see... It would be a sad ending to this long love story :)

14. DionClassic

DionClassic

15. coronado3

coronado3 Supporting Member

16. seang15

seang15 Supporting Member

No chance of keeping the neck, and springing for a CS neck? Warmoth quality isn't that far off, if you can't afford the CS. $400 bucks, you get ridiculously good Warmoth neck, and still have your FL neck!

17. oboylebass

oboylebass

That's a 40-plus-year-old original factory fretless Fender Bass...LEAVE IT THAT WAY

18. BioWeapon

BioWeapon

+everything.

19. Old Fart

Old Fart

Yup, fretted neck. If I had a '71 fretless P, I would NOT sell her.

20. drums1977

drums1977

Yeah, I would really prefer to respect the instrument and not sell the parts separately. No one has a nice bass he would like to trade for this survivor from the early 70s?? And about price, what do you guys think would be a fair price?

21. bass_case

bass_case Used Register Supporting Member

What's the neck width? I believe B was standard, Mine is an A although I don't recall it being a special order.

I had a 65 fretted neck on my 71 for many years and it was my main bass. You can always slap the FL neck back on it.