1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

FT: Rickenbacker 4003 Swap?

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Stev187, Feb 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stev187

Stev187 Peavey MegaBass Club! Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

Ric swap? Almost sounds kinky, doesn't it? Here's the scoop:

I have forever been a Fender Jazz Bass guy, and I have been very curious to play a Ric. I didn't want to just play one for a little bit; I wanted to gig and practice with it to see what was up. I bought one last year on TB from a super cool member, and I think this bass has been owned by other TB members in the past. It's a cool bass, but it has been modified to be like an earlier Ric and I'd like to try the standard-issue Ric 4003.

So, I thought I had a couple of options: a) get the parts and put this Ric back together as a 2004 Rickenbacker 4003; or b) sell it and use the cash to get a more standard bass. Then it occurred to me that someone might be interested in a straight-up swap: my Ric for your Ric. It would have to be the right fit, and both seller and buyer would have to be really comfortable about the trade before it happens. And maybe nobody would want to do this, but it's worth a try.

Here's the scoop on the Ric that's on the trading block:

• 2004 Rickenbacker 4003 in Jetglo
    • Original Ric thermoplastic case (rather worn)
    • Vintage pickguard (larger) and control knobs (solid black)
    • Toaster pickup in vintage neck position
    • Vintage (longer) truss rod cover
    • Hipshot Ric-style bridge (the original Ric bridge is included)
    • Schaller straplocks
    • Treble pickup bezel (ABS plastic--this is very cool): http://www.tubeampology.com/2501.html
    Bass is in great shape cosmetically with some minor wear/chipping along the binding on the lower bout (E string side); finish is in good shape with some minor wear. It's been played/gigged but well cared for. High res photos (and perhaps some videos/sound clips) if we get close to a swap.

What I am interested in:

An appropriate swap will depend on what you've got. Ideally, I'd like a 4003 Jetglo with standard pickups, etc. in similar condition. But I am flexible on color and condition--I don't need (and don't expect to get) a minty bass in trade. Given the crazy nature of this idea, I am prepared to be flexible.

So, here goes nothing. Perhaps there's nobody out there who would want to do this. For now, I am not interested in selling because I want to keep a Ric in the stable to really get used to it. If I do sell it, I'll start a FS thread and follow all the TB rules. I am not in a hurry, because this is a cool bass. I would just like to try a standard Ric. Perhaps you want to get your early Ric thing going. Actually, that toaster pickup is pretty darn sweet.

If you're interested in trading, send me a PM through TB and we'll talk. I am open to taking lots of pics and communicating heavily. Oh, and you should be in the lower 48 of the US. If a trade gets going, we'll figure something out that does not involve meeting halfway across a bridge like in the movies!

--Steve

Attached Files:

2. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

This ad copy sounds almost like a swingers ad. Not that I would know personally.
  3. tmoney61092

tmoney61092

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

4. Stev187

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

Perhaps this is too specific a trade. I'm in no hurry, so drop me a line if you're interested.
  5. Stev187

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

Bump just in case... and to say that I'd be interested in a Ric with some gig/cosmetic wear on it. It does not need to be as clean as this one.

--Steve
  6. woodyng

woodyng

0   0   0

The 60's style pg and knobs look cool as &$@ on this. The toaster and the hipshot bridge are both improvements(imho,of course). If this were a "s" model,i would be all over it. Nice bass,good luck! I was thinking of selling my 4000,but then i took it practice last night,and realized i needed to keep it.
  7. Stev187

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

Gonna close this--bass is for sale.

--Steve
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.