Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.
Discussion in 'Tablature [BG]' started by slapnpop, Sep 11, 2007.
anyone know any good funk songs with good bass?
Here are a few:
1. Get Up (I Feel Like Being a Sex Machine) Part I - James Brown
2. Papa's Got a Brand New Bag - James Brown & The Famous Flames
3. Thank You (Falletinme Be Mice Elf Agin) - Sly & The Family Stone
4. Tear the Roof Off the Sucker/Give Up the Funk - Parliament
5. Theme from "Shaft" - Isaac Hayes
6. Superfly - Curtis Mayfield
7. Superstition - Stevie Wonder
8. Cissy Strut - The Meters
9. One Nation Under a Groove - Funkadelic
10. Think (About It) - Lyn Collins (The Female Preacher)
11. Papa Was a Rollin' Stone - The Temptations
12. War - Edwin Starr
13. I'll Take You There - The Staple Singers
14. More Bounce to the Ounce Part I - Zapp & Roger
15. It's Your Thing - The Isley Brothers
16. Chameleon - Herbie Hancock
17. Mr. Big Stuff - Jean Knight
18. When Doves Cry - Prince
19. Tell Me Something Good - Rufus (with vocals by Chaka Khan)
20. Family Affair - Sly & The Family Stone
21. Cold Sweat - James Brown & The Famous Flames
22. Out of Sight - James Brown & The Famous Flames
23. Backstabbers - The O'Jays
24. Fire - The Ohio Players
25. Rock Creek Park - The Blackbyrds
26. Give It to Me Baby - Rick James
27. Brick House - The Commodores
28. Jungle Boogie - Kool & The Gang
29. Shining Star - Earth, Wind, & Fire
30. Got To Give It Up Part I - Marvin Gaye
31. Keep on Truckin' Part I - Eddie Kendricks
32. Dazz - Brick
33. Pick Up the Pieces - Average White Band
34. Hollywood Singing - Kool & The Gang
35. Do It ('Til You're Satisfied) - B.T. Express
36. Super Freak Part I - Rick James
37. You Sexy Thing - Hot Chocolate
38. Say It Loud-I'm Black and I'm Proud, Part I - James Brown
39. For the Love of Money - The O'Jays
40. Express Yourself - Charles Wright & The Watts 103rd Street Rhythm Band
41. Bootzilla - Bootsy's Rubber Band
42. Flash Light - Parliament
43. Car Wash - Rose Royce
44. Play That Funky Music (White Boy) - Wild Cherry
45. Living for the City - Stevie Wonder
46. Higher Ground - Stevie Wonder
47. Funky Broadway - Dyke & The Blazers/Wilson Pickett
48. God Made Me Funky - The Headhunters (a.k.a. Herbie Hancock et al.)
49. Expensive **** - Fela Anikulapo Kuti
50. Right Off - Miles Davis
51. Running Away - Roy Ayers
52. Pass the Peas - The JBs
53. Bustin' Loose - Chuck Brown & The Soul Searchers
54. Burn Rubber on Me (Why You Wanna Hurt Me?) - The Gap Band
55. Trouble Man - Marvin Gaye
56. Ain't Nobody - Chaka Khan with Rufus
57. Groove Me - King Floyd
58. Do It, Fluid - The Blackbyrds
59. What is Hip? - Tower of Power
60. Soul Power '74 - Maceo Parker & The Macks
61. I Know You Got Soul - Bobby Byrd
62. The Payback - James Brown
63. In the Bottle - Gil Scott-Heron
64. Little Red Corvette - Prince
65. Expansions - Lonnie Liston Smith & The Cosmic Echoes
66. Doing it to Death - Fred Wesley & The JBs
67. (Who's) That Lady Part I? - The Isley Brothers
68. Cloud Nine - The Temptations
69. Freddie's Dead (Theme from "Superfly") - Curtis Mayfield
70. (Not Just) Knee Deep Part I - Funkadelic
71. N.T. Parts I and II - Kool & The Gang
72. Fight the Power, Parts I and II - The Isley Brothers
73. Serpentine Fire - Earth, Wind, & Fire
74. Rock Steady - Aretha Franklin
75. Heartbeat - Taana Gardner
76. Clean Up Woman - Betty Wright
77. I Can't Stand the Rain - Ann Peebles
78. The Message - Cymande
79. Kung Fu Fighting - Carl Douglas
80. Sign O' the Times - Prince
81. You Dropped a Bomb on Me - The Gap Band
82. Low Rider - War
83. Love Rollercoaster - The Ohio Players
84. Slide - Slave
85. Ffun - Con Funk Shun
86. Word Up - Cameo
87. Too Hot to Stop - The Bar-Kays
88. Movin' - Brass Construction
89. I Found Lovin' - The Fatback Band
90. Cutie Pie - One Way
91. Funky Sensation - Gwen McCrae
92. Fencewalk - Mandrill
93. Be Thankful for What You've Got - William DeVaughn
94. Bring Down the Birds - Herbie Hancock
95. Fantastic Voyage - Lakeside
96. I Got My Mind Made Up (You Can Get It Girl) - Instant Funk
97. (Every Time I Turn Around) Back in Love Again - LTD
98. Get the Funk Out Ma Face - The Brothers Johnson
99. Sophisticated Lady (She's a Different Lady) - Natalie Cole
100. If I'm In Luck I Might Get Picked Up - Betty Davis
101. Sing a Simple Song - Sly & The Family Stone
102. Drop the Bomb - Trouble Funk
103. The Jam - Graham Central Station
104. Just Kissed My Baby - The Meters
105. Lovely Day - Bill Withers
106. Computer Love - Zapp & Roger
107. I Can Understand It - New Birth
108. Shine On - George Duke
109. I Gotcha - Joe Tex
110. I Get Lifted - George McCrae
111. Who's Gonna Help Brother Get Further? - Lee Dorsey
112. Slippin' Into Darkness - War
113. She's a Bad Mama Jama (She's Built, She's Stacked) - Carl Carlton
114. Funkin' for Jamaica - Tom Browne
115. Juicy Fruit - Mtume
116. All Night Long - Mary Jane Girls
117. We Got the Funk - Positive Force
118. Behind the Groove - Teena Marie
119. It's Just Begun - Jimmy Castor
120. (Fallin' Like) Dominoes - Donald Byrd
121. Last Night a DJ Saved My Life - Indeep
122. Breakdown Part I - Rufus Thomas
123. Let it Whip - The Dazz Band
124. Genius of Love - Tom Tom Club
125. No Parking (On the Dancefloor) - Midnight Star
126. Jungle Love - The Time
127. Meeting in the Ladies Room - Klymaxx
128. Nasty Girl - Vanity 6
129. The Ghetto - Donny Hathaway
130. It's My Thing - Marva Whitney
131. Apache - Michael Viner's Incredible Bongo Band
132. Stretchin' Out (In a Rubber Band) - Bootsy's Rubber Band
133. Let a Woman Be a Woman/Let a Man Be a Man - Dyke & The Blazers
134. Early in the Morning - The Gap Band
135. Kiss - Prince
136. Up for the Down Stroke - Parliament
137. Aqua Boogie (A Psychoalphadiscobetabioaquadoloop) - Funkadelic
138. Get Down on It - Kool & The Gang
139. Upside Down (Inside Out) - Diana Ross
140. Why Can't We Be Friends? - War
141. White Horse - Laid Back
142. Disco to Go - The Brides of Funkenstein
143. Strawberry Letter 23 - Shuggie Otis/The Brothers Johnson
144. Hangin' on a String (Contemplating) - Loose Ends
145. Backstrokin' - The Fatback Band
146. Hit N Run - The Bar-Kays
147. Too Tight - Con Funk Shun
148. Just a Touch of Love - Slave
149. Candy - Cameo
150. Zoom - Fat Larry's Band
151. Rise - Herb Alpert & Tijuana Brass Band
152. I'm Gonna Love You Just a Little Bit, Baby - Barry White
153. Tramp - Otis Redding & Carla Thomas
154. The Horse - Cliff Nobles & Co.
155. Memphis Soul Stew - King Curtis & The Kingpins
156. Glamorous Life - Sheila E.
157. Let's Get Serious - Jermaine Jackson
158. Joy and Pain - Maze feat. Frankie Beverly
159. Machine Gun - The Commodores
160. Actions Speak Louder Than Words - Hot Chocolate
161. Pusherman - Curtis Mayfield
162. Nights Over Egypt - The Jones Girls
163. Don't Stop the Music - Yarbrough & Peoples
164. Brother's Gonna Work It Out - Willie Hutch
165. A Night to Remember - Shalamar
166. A Love Bizarre - Sheila E. & Prince
167. Outa-Space - Billy Preston
168. Superman Lover - Johnny "Guitar" Watson
169. Mama Feel Good - Lyn Collins
170. Take Me to the Mardi Gras - Bob James
171. Rockin' Chair - Gwen McCrae
172. Blame it on the Boogie - The Jacksons
173. Can You Help Me? - Jesse Johnson
174. Knock on Wood - Eddie Floyd
175. Is it All Over My Face? - Loose Joint
176. Across 110th Street - Bobby Womack and Peace
177. Woman of the Ghetto - Marlena Shaw
178. Supernatural Thing - Ben E. King
179. I Can't Get Next to You - Al Green
180. Crosstown Traffic - Jimi Hendrix/Phil Upchurch
181. Could Heaven Ever Be Like This? - Idris Muhammad
182. Get Up Off of That Thang - James Brown
183. The Funky Worm - The Ohio Players
184. Chicken - The Weather Report
185. Beatmaker - Doris
186. I Don't Know What It Is, But It Sure Is Funky - Ripple
187. Atomic Dog - George Clinton & The P-Funk Allstars
188. Funky Drummer, Parts I and II - James Brown
189. Weekend - Class Action
190. Burning Spear - S.O.U.L.
191. Sun is Here - Sun
192. Another Man - Barbara Mason
193. Moody - ESG
194. A Lover's Holiday - Change
195. Don't Look Any Further - Dennis Edwards and Siedah Garrett
196. The Message from the Soul Sisters, Parts I and II - Vicki Anderson
197. Who is He and What is He to You? - Creative Source
198. Some Skunk Funk - The Brecker Brothers
199. Get Ready - Rare Earth
200. Just An Illusion - Imagination
Wow! Great list.
As Finch from American Pie once said, "God bless the Internet".
dude thanks alot for the list!!!
Anything by Motown.
Possibly the funkiest song I ever heard was James Brown's "Funky President."
Pretty good list! One song that I always liked was "Boys" by the Mary Jane Girls. Two other early "funky soul" entries would be "I've got work to do" by the Isleys and "School Boy Crush" by AWB.
Please, do yourself a favor and visit this thread. It is arguably the best thread in TB history!
Any motown, or The Meters...or James Brown...If you are looking for a good book..."Standing in the Shadows of Motown"...
#18 when doves cry doesn't have a bassline
Doves cry out for a funky bassline. PLAY ONE!!!
Don't all Funk songs have good bass?
Prince is a badass bass player, if it needed one, he would of put one in
It's all right.
pleasure with spread that feelin'
There is a live version of Doves Cry from one of these acoustic alternative chicks (forget the one because they are interchangeable) that has a cool bass part.
Anything from Graham Central Station is good funk bass. My favorite is Ain't No Fun To Me. Also, What is Hip by The Tower of Power. That has a driving bass line that never quits. Listen to old Grand Funk Railroad. Mel Schacher plays a mean bass in all of their tunes.
+1 for Graham Central Station. If your slap chops are up to scratch, check out 'POW'. Two great riffs, some awesome fills, and a nice bit of double thumbed country style in the middle.
'Release Yourself' by the same is double thumbed funk bass heaven!
Man! What a list.
If I learn half of these by heart, I'm gonna be a happy camper.
Wow great list! My two cents/songs To be real Cheryl Lynn, and Hair graham Central Station.
I looked and I know just about all these tunes. Really good memories. Thanks for the posts.
Freudian slip in the tread title?
Neither does "The Glamorous Life". Prince being Prince again.
Separate names with a comma.