Fuctionality of loopers

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Gopherbassist, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Gopherbassist

Gopherbassist

I have long been toying with the idea of buying a looper pedal. One function that I would need though is the ability to stop or call up loops at any time.

Because salesmen have had a hard time understanding what I'm talking about, I will describe to you what I mean.

Say I record a loop, and then a second. I want to stop the first loop, then record a third and fourth with the second still playing. Later, I want to stop the last three loops and call up the first to play over again.

Are there any loopers that can do this without me having to re record the first loop?

Your collective feedback is appreciated.
  2. DirkP

DirkP

Do you want to stop or to "mute" the first track of your loop?
    Nearly all loopers - besides the most expensive Boss Loopers - work in a way that the first loop sets the time for all other loops. That means you can't record a short bass loop and then improvise over it with a guitar and record your guitar while the bass-loop repeats - just as an example to describe the way most loopers work.
    If you accept this, the EHX 45000 does what you want. It's a kind of four-track recorder/looper (4 mono tracks and one stereo mix-track). It has a volume slider for each track of the recorded loop. So you would just set the slider for the first track of your current loop to zero, set the volume of track 2 or 3 to whatever volume you want and record track 4 of the loop.

Happy New Year,
    Dirk
  3. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Dirk's got more on this than I, but I use my Boss DD-7 to create loops in my home studio. Mainly I just set up a chord on my Roland D-50, set a chair leg on the sustain pedal, and knock myself out on bass. It accepts multiple melodic/groove inputs (assuming you time your foot-switch well), but you can't exclude them or add them in; in other words, they automatically overlay on top of one another as long as the looper effect is engaged.

Point being, if you want an effect pedal that loops, there are options, but methinks you'll need a much more sophisticated device than a simple pedal to achieve what you are looking for. Moog may have something, or a rack-mounted unit may do what you want, but I don't know of any pedals, per se, that will do what you want.
  4. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

The Boomerang 3 and the bigger Boss Loopstation cab do what you are talking about. The Boss Loopstations also store multiple loops onto SD cards that you can toggle between (kinda like different projects), though I believe only the largest one will record one loop while playing another. I have the Boomerang and it is fantastic, but it's biggest weakness is no permanent loop storage (once you unplug the pedal your loops are gone).
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Maybe that's pushing it a bit for looper pedals and you need to look for some PC or iPad/iPhone solution?
    Anyone use that kind of setup for looping?
  7. sunbeast

I thought again about your needs, and the only way the Boomerang could do it is using its "Free" mode where the loops don't automatically time synch with each other. You can do it using one of the synch modes except that you need to keep a first loop going when recording new loops and all later loops have to be some multiple of the original- the best way to do it is to record some sort of short simple time-keeper as the first loop that will play friendly with the others. To record new loops that synch you will have to have the first playing, but you could always turn the Volume of the first loop all the way down so it could do what you want if you have a free hand (they all have separate level controls).
  8. adamsmatthewj

adamsmatthewj Supporting Member

I too would love this functionality, and in pedal form the only one I personally know that can do this is the Boomerang

I know for a fact that the boomerang lets you record/start/stop/etc up to 4 loops independently and all at the same time, Tony Grey has a great YouTube video of a solo bass version of "floating river Yangtzee" where he does just this

When funds and pedalboard real estate become available, you bet I'm lookin for a Boomerang!
  9. Feral Feline

Feral Feline

Bend Daniel Harris' ear, he might be able to make a suggestion or two.

You can ask him via Twatter or Fecalbook perhaps...
  10. alec

alec

You could use multiple pedals...
  11. Gopherbassist

Gopherbassist

By the larger one do you mean the RC-300?
  12. sunbeast

Yeah- don't quote me that it'll do exactly what you are looking for, but I am pretty sure I had read that it would... The Boomerang I own so I can guarantee that it will.
  13. Happynoj

Happynoj

The Electrix Repeater can do this, but isn't in pedal form. It can have a foot controller though.