1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

FULL BAND MIX - 7 Basses Shoot Out!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JohanSegeborn, Dec 8, 2013.

1. JohanSegeborn

JohanSegeborn

Hi fellow bass players!

In my previous thread (7 Basses Shoot Out!), I compared 7 different basses. They were all showcased or isolated. In this thread the basses are placed in a three-piece mix.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlEJvERthyc&feature=c4-overview&list=UUyaStghQb7_e51PgH8bUkzg

The basses are:

1. Gibson EB-2
    2. Gibson EB-13
    3. Gibson Les Paul Bass
    4. Stagg (!) EB-3
    5. Gibson Thunderbird
    6. Fender Precision Bass
    7. Fender Jazz Bass

I'm playing through a Mesa Boogie M3 Carbine Combo with a 12" speaker.

Again, I would very much appreciate your comments, feedback, critique. How do these basses differ?

This coming week I will compare another 7 basses, which will be presented latest the coming Friday!

Cheers!
    Johan

My Youtube Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyaStghQb7_e51PgH8bUkzg
  2. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars & Basses
    Great comparison, thanks for the effort!

You sound good on all of them:) I did prefer the eb-1/3 ones, stagg being the winner - but it just a matter of personal preference and the strong Sones vibe of the song.
  3. Salamenster

Salamenster

And the P bass wins once again.
  4. wvbass

wvbass

Now the rubber meets the road.

That beautiful sounding EB2 kind of disappears in the mix. The P bass,which I thought was kid of lame in the soloed mix, has new life - standing out when needed, sitting back when not. The biggest surprise for me was the EB13. I didn't care for it at all when soloed, but it works well in the mix. The Les Paul is even better though; the EB13 flirts with being too aggressive, whereas the Paul is just right.

I don't know that I could pick a favorite, but I iked the EB2 the least. It was near the top of my list in your other video.
  5. Thrash3r

Thrash3r

P bass wins for me, unsurprisingly.
  6. Splintered Skul

Splintered Skul

The band mix definitely puts a new perspective on the basses. I agree that the EB-2, which sounded great in the first video, now kind of gets lost in the mix. The EB13 actually sounded pretty good this go around. My personal top 2 are the T-Bird and the Les Paul, but that's because I liked the slightly more aggressive sound (with the T-bird being more aggressive of the two). Now in close second is the P bass And J bass, which are actually better suited for this type of mix. A more classic and less aggressive vibe. Each has their own little flavor, so I hold them equal. The P has more thump and holds the low end rhythm excellently. The Jazz has a nice upper mid, "jazzy" kind of sound haha. This also complements the mix well. Again, awesome vid and love the comparisons. Can't wait for the next one :)
  7. Melodicgroove

Melodicgroove

65 EB and 73 Pbass hands down. Both sound incredible.
  8. ddhm

ddhm Supporting Member

I'd love to hear some opinions on a blind test version of this ;)
  9. Super Iridium

Super Iridium Supporting Member

Wow, awesome video. It may not be a popular opinion, but I actually prefer the "dirtiness" of the Gibson LP and T-bird sound over the much cleaner (and more easily distinguished) Fender sound. Still, this is an awesome video and a real education, especially for those of us with fewer years in experience. Please keep them coming! --Jeff
  10. peledog

peledog Supporting Member

Jazz works the best.

EB-2 was huge too.

P bass was meh. Predictable.
  11. blindrabbit

blindrabbit

Holy smokes does that Stagg ever sound good in the mix! It wins the championship this time around to my ears.

I still love the EB-2, not sure why everyone here is ragging on it within the mix. Fantastic low end and thump to it, even within the mix. Nice and round, ties everything on the bottom together well.

The EB13 also has a lovely growl, I really enjoy its aggressive tone. Lots of bottom, lots of mids.

The Thunderbird sounds better to me within the mix than it did on its own, but there remains something about its tone that rubs me the wrong way.

The Les Paul didn't sound good to me alone, and in the mix it sounds even worse.

The P sounds unremarkable, just kind of "blah". It is inoffensive, but to my ears there really isn't anything appealing about it.

The Jazz has an interesting thin honk to it, better than the P, but it seems like it sticks out of the mix as opposed to integrating into it.

My ranking from the band mix:

1) Stagg
    2) EB-2
    3) EB-13
    4) Jazz
    5) Precision
    6) Thunderbird
    7) Les Paul

The two installments of this shootout have me seriously considering putting my P/J up for sale and buying an EB-3, EB13, or something along those lines. Either that or routing out a spot for a mudbucker in the Godin.

Thanks for the fun clips and video!!! Can't wait for round 2 of the shootout!

P.S> Johan - how are you running the Stagg and the EB13? Is it both pickups on full? Also, on those two as well as the EB-2, is the tone all the way open?
  12. Basshappi

Basshappi

Stagg (EB-3)
    Jazz/ EB-13
    Precision
    T-Bird/Les Paul -These would have sounded better played with a pick.
    EB-2 - Try that one with a pick and palm muted
  13. WoodyG3

WoodyG3 Supporting Member

Thanks for the effort, this had to be time consuming. In the mix, as others have said, I have a different opinion of what sounds best. For me, the Precision was the sweetest, followed by the Jazz, the Stagg, then the EB 13. These four seemed much better than the other three to me. If I listen again tomorrow, I'g guess I'd still like the four listed best, but the order might change, they were all that good.
  14. JohanSegeborn

JohanSegeborn

Hi blindrabbit! Thanks for good feedback. All 2 pickup basses are ran on the bridge mic at full volume and I've have backed of small amounts of tone on some of them just until the harshness disappeared. Johan

15. GrumpiusMaximus

GrumpiusMaximus I've Seen Things You People Wouldn't Believe Supporting Member

Great video. Lovely production.

I've got to say, I think the Thunderbird really does it for me - especially the second sample from the bridge. The P sounds very clean and suitable for anything, if a little 'generic' but that's not necessarily a bad thing. The high octaves really sound out well on the P and playing over the bridge brings it to life.

Thanks for the video. Great stuff.
  16. Sheffield

Sheffield

Definitely the Precision or the Jazz for me. That said: I really liked the grind you got out of the Thunderbird - the second section of its clip sounded really, really great.
  17. GLEN18INCHSPICA

GLEN18INCHSPICA

I liked the EB-13 1st time around it cut through the mix too much this time instead of blending. Leaning towards the T-bird, Les Paul & Precision this time around. Of course the EB-2 still sounded great this time around.
  18. markoSirec

markoSirec

Thanks for the video! I really enjoyed it... the P was the best imo, it just sits so well with the drums. Too bad there aren't more of these types of videos online.
  19. sadowskyguy

sadowskyguy Supporting Member

That was an awesome video. I too liked the EB-2. It sounded like the right fit for that song.

On a different note, was the distortion from the amp on some of the basses, or was it a pedal? It seemed like there was some basses that had better distortion sounds than others, and I couldn't tell if that was the inherent nature of the basses themselves, or the amp breaking up in a way that some tend to like. (nothing against that, of course)
  20. pudgychef

pudgychef

I still dig the EB2 - sounded fat and supported so well
    Thought the Stagg sounded great and that both Fenders worked in their classic way..