"Full Size" Fender Precision??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 513rocks.com, Dec 29, 2013.

1. 513rocks.com

513rocks.com

I often hear the term full size precision or jazz. What years are Fender P-Basses full-size and what other size is there? Are the new American Standards Full Size?? I've always been confused about this.
    Thanx,
    Mark

2. bigmoosepi

bigmoosepi

maybe they're referring to scale length.

3. 513rocks.com

513rocks.com

No it's body size. I know the different body sizes in jazz basses but not p-
    basses

4. 513rocks.com

513rocks.com

Doin a little research the bigger body is called vintage and the smaller body is called standard. I've played both and can't tell a difference.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Martin89

Martin89

Disclosures:
    Unofficial Endorser: Ibanez, D'Addario, Zoom
    Some don't have contour lines which I think some people refer to as a slab, like the '51 models?

7. elBandito

elBandito

Older deluxes had dinky sized bodies.

8. Neener

Neener Grumpy Old Dog Supporting Member

I'm really no help here as I don't know about the Precisions either. (I know, so why are you posting....:rolleyes: )

My '07 American Deluxe Jazz V has the "dinky" body. It's about 7/8 scale.

You can't really notice any difference unless it's parked next to a "fat" body. :smug:

9. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

theres also the mij precision lytes, which had a very slimmed down p body, if that helps.

10. WillInDenver

WillInDenver An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

This post is mostly me subscribing to the thread, because I've wondered about this too. I swear, although I can't find the source, that the current American Deluxe Fender P and J bodies are slightly downsized compared to the vintage designs.

FWIW, Sadowsky clarifies that their bodies are slightly downsized unless you order an "ultra-vintage" model.

My Skjold Lions' Pride is built pretty precisely to the body size specs of a 60s J. On the other hand, my 2007 Valenti used a dinky J body. You can clearly see the difference in this picture. I realize neither of these are Fenders, but maybe it makes a good reference point.

[​IMG]

11. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

The '80s Fenders (some models) were downsized for a more "metal" look. I think everything else is the same. I know my '51 P RI fits in the same case as the other (split-coil) Ps I have owned...as did the G&L L2000, for what that's worth.

12. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mark, I am surprised to hear that you are 'often' hearing this term (if you are referring to Fenders) ... I have played a few other brands in my 50+ years around these things, but 90% of the several dozen basses I have owned have been some version of passive Fender ... and other than the times I talked with folks about the 'Longhorn' era, or the P Jr, the Mustangs (etc) and perhaps some of the slightly 'thinner' bodies, shorter scale necks, etc ... I dont think I have ever used the term 'full-sized body' for P and J Fenders ... you may have differences in radius's, body cuts, etc., ... but your post is news to me ...

Regarding your inquiry to the "New' AmStands, bodies are same shape/size as they have been since the early AmStands, and all through the AmSeries ..

13. Bongolation

Bongolation

I'm guessing this reference has to do with slab thickness.

14. bigsnaketex

bigsnaketex Supporting Member

there is definitely a difference in thickness and round-over. . . as well as contour.

this is the first I've heard about "body size" as well. F R E A K Y!!

15. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I've heard the American Special series bodies are slightly thinner than the AmStd's. It would be interesting to see what, if any variation occurs between older vintage models and current standard and reissue ones.

16. JustForSport

JustForSport

So, do the 'Specials" have noticeably better tone than the rest?

17. 513rocks.com

513rocks.com

Maybe people were talking about jazz basses when I've read this.

18. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

same thing applies to J bodies as what I said about P's ....

... are you sure you not thinking/talking about pickup routing sizes in the bodies?? ... thats the only thing that makes sense in any of this

19. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member

The US Deluxe Jazz had the undersized body from the mid-'90s to like 2010 or something.

The Standard body is fullsize, same size as vintage Fender bodies.

20. bigsnaketex

bigsnaketex Supporting Member

This whole thing was bothering me so much yesterday that I went to two of my local music stores and took down all the Fender basses and held them up to each other. . . and at least all the new and used ones I looked at (which covered a lot of different models of Jazz and Precision) were the same size.

There were some relief routes different and some round-overs on the bodies but the dimensions were pretty much the same.

At least now I feel better!!

21. 513rocks.com

513rocks.com

I have two sadowsky jazz basses and they're different sizes, one is a uv70. I had a 70s reissue jazz and a American standard and the 70s reissue had a bigger body so I know jazz bass have two different size bodies. On sadowskys website it says their hybrid bass is full size. I figured that meant pbasses have two sizes.