Full Sleeves? Any trouble at work because of them?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by lowendmafia, Dec 6, 2013.

1. lowendmafia

lowendmafia Supporting Member

So, I was arguing with someone at work about tattoos and her basic opinion was that people with tattoos below the elbow will never get a "real job." Little did she know that I have full sleeves under my dress shirt, and many more tattoos. I have never had a problem with employment, and I work and meet with Executives all the time. Never once has one of them treated me with anything but respect, even when some of my ink shows below the cuff of my shirt. Just curious what others may have experienced...

2. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

depends on the field. and the answer really is that simple

3. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

I never had problem with my ful sleeve nor the two smalls tattoo I have on both hands. I'm an accountant and I don't look like a punk either and none of my tattoos are skull or stuff like so I think it isn't a problem at all.

In my part of the world more and more people have tattoos so I think when my generation will be in their 50s it will be as normal as having glasses.

4. lowendmafia

I have worked in corporate finance for several years and also do business intelligence development and data warehousing. I am one of the most Sr. level members of my current team. It doesn't get much more conservative than that... Still, never had an issue.

Do you have sleeves, or are you speaking for others?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lowendmafia

+1. I certainly do not look like a punk...

7. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

I have visible tattoos and gauged ears. When I worked in commercial real estate (as an accountant) the firm I was at was against my gauged ears (wore flesh colored ear skins) and wanted me to cover my tattoos. Eventually I quit caring and they never said a word. Early on they drove another employee to another job due to the fact that they were on him constantly about his tattoos and pierced ears. He went to work in a design firm that encouraged tattoos and pierced ears.

My office had a specific image they were trying to convey, it was during the peak (or should I say trough) of the economic down turn and they were trying to convey a superior professional environment and that was how they chose to do so, to the point of even doing away with casual Fridays.

Why so combatant about the fact that it could depend on your field? Are you only looking for validation?

8. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

Sleeves, chest, back no problem for men.

I recently went off on my sons friend for getting a big tattoo on his neck.
    I told him he looks like a gang banger and even I would not hire him if I didn't know him.
    I have sleeves and chest tats. That's what dress shirts are for.

9. lowendmafia

Nah, I wasn't trying to come off as combative, just looking to see what people with visible tattoos have experienced. You know how it gets, people who do not know anything about it will tell you all sorts of crazy stuff about how tattoos will affect you in the workplace. I can see how working directly with customers could be a problem, but I also think people like to use things like that as excuses for why they can't get a job, get promoted, etc.

I always hear people say things like "so and so could get a job if he cleaned up his image, lost the piercings, etc but most times it is not that simple. If the guy had the right skillset and qualifications, it really wouldn't matter, unless the company has strict image guidelines.

10. marko138

marko138

My tattoos show a little when I wear short sleeve shirts. I also have my ears pierced and a luscious beard. I work for the government. No one says anything about it.

But I dont have full sleeves, and many days I have to wear a suit.

11. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

If you can cover them, no problem. I had a guy at my job go off about people with tattoos being worthless people right after he complimented me for the great work I did on a project. I simply replied, "and how many tattoos do you think I have?" I then went on to tell him that stupid people will be stupid and smart people will be smart and it doesn't matter what they put on their body.

lowsound

12. Jim Nazium

Jim Nazium

I think to say "you'll never get a real job" goes way too far. It depends on the industry and on the specific role within the industry. I work in finance, which is a very conservative industry in general, but I'm a "quant" (mathematician), so I can get away with a lot of stuff that the front office guys probably can't (ink, earring, goatee, etc).

I think there are two other imprtant factors: how you conduct yourself, and whether the person making the hiring decision has an preconceived notions about people with ink. If you dress, speak, and act in a professional manner appropriate to the job, and the interviewer isn't prejudiced, you're probably fine no matter how you look. And remember that people can be prejudiced against all kinds of things: smoking, overweight, etc.

13. bkbirge

bkbirge Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    If you can hide them in the interviews no big deal. Once people get to know you it won't be any sort of issue. That's my opinion of course and I can also see how it might be a problem in sales or international negotiations. Neck tats on the other hand are pretty much a flashing neon sign that says scumbag. I expect that will change eventually too as more people get them and they become somewhat mainstream, but right now they are pretty heavily associated with prison culture.

14. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

My brother has a full sleeve and was just promoted to Junior Manager at Costco.
    The head of out engineering department is an older biker dude with a sleeve.

Thats my anecdotal experience.

15. Immigrant

Immigrant

Tattoos are (still) becoming more commonplace and accepted. When I got my first leg tattoo, I worked as a delivery driver and a passerby saw it and said "Fag". I was stunned, but found it comical. The tat is a dragon climbing my ankle and calve. You see leg tats all the time now, but back then (1990) they weren't as accepted as they are now. The same will probably hold true for sleeves. Let's hope anyway.

16. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

This ^

I don't have full sleeves (only upper arm and leg tattoos at the mo), though I plan to in the future. I tend to be wearing sleeves anyway, so it wouldn't matter even if people did have a problem. Though thankfully, it doesn't seem to be an issue in my line of work.

Granted, I'll always have tattoos which can be covered to an extent, no hand or face/neck tattoos for me. Though I'm not sure if that's an underlying subconscious decision to be able to be able to cover tattoos with clothing if necessary.

17. lowendmafia

I think that if you showed up to an interview looking like a scrub, you probably won't get a job even without tattoos. Funny aside about the neck tattoos... one of my tattoo artist friends refuses to do neck, face, hand or finger tattoos on most people for that exact reason. He told me that if a customer does not have at least full sleeves, he will not do them at all.

18. spade2you

spade2you

I don't have any tattoos and have been 0 for 5 interviews. I think I've applied to about 10 places and didn't even get an interview. The last thing I need are more things potentially getting in my way.

19. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Even still, I think it's more accepted for men to have tattoos. There's a woman working here with full sleeves, chest, neck and back tattoos! But it's a Call Center environment.

20. lowendmafia

One thing that trips me out about Costco is they make their employees cover their tattoos so it always looks like they have some kind of injury. Same thing with Quick Trip. I am not going to go on an equal rights campaign for people with tattoos, but come on, everyone knows what under that lycra sleeve... its like self-censoring profanity.

21. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Have y'all seen any Rocket Scientists lately? They come in all types!