full swamp ash body with a wenge neck and ebony fretboard

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KINGPIN_88, Apr 1, 2014.

1. KINGPIN_88

KINGPIN_88 Supporting Member

Hey TB fam,

I have a quick question I am in the process of get a one body swamp ash bass with a wenge neck and ebony fretboard. The pups will be a delano xtender. Don't know if I am going to do one or 2, and the preamp will be a glockenklang 3band stacked. Just want to know what I can expect as far as sound. I would really appreciate your advice.

2. Toptube

Toptube

I had a bass for awhile which had a 5 piece neck. 3 pieces of Wenge with two small Bubinga strips. and an Swamp Ash body. Rosewood finger board.

It had deep lows, a lot of high mid presence and punch. The mids and low mid were not scooped. But they were also not especially pronounced. Just even.

For that particular bass, it was a little too easy for noise from the strings percussing against the frets (I don't mean buzz)---to come through the pickups when unintended.

It could have been a not so great mix of the pickups and the bass. Or it could have been a natural issue with the bass. I didn't explore other pickups.

3. KINGPIN_88

Thanks. That is actually the type of sound I am looking for.

4. 4OnTheFloor

4OnTheFloor

It will sound tight, but dull. Going to struggle for midrange content. all IMHO. I have a set of JMVC 5 string Delano's for a Fender MIA Jazz Deluxe V and they lasted 1 gig, actually after the 1st tune I realized that Delano's are NOT my thing. I like complex, sweet round (Fender-like) tone, or comlex honky tone(Spector/Warwick - like), in either case the Delanos were in the middleish of that, just kinda suck at both.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. KINGPIN_88

That is interesting i haven't really heard that many negative reviews of delanos, but I will take that into heavy consideration