1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fullerton Era Fender Precision/Jazz Reissue info and Photos

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by larryelwood, Jun 26, 2012.

1. larryelwood

larryelwood Supporting Member

Hi all,

I was wondering if there's anyone out there that can educate the TB community on the highly coveted Precision and Jazz bass Fullerton factory reissues that came out in the early 80s.. I can't seem to find any one thread that talks about it..

What models were reissued?
    What was the span of time these came out of the Fullerton Factory?
    What was the Serial # range?
    What colors P and J basses were available?
    Distinctions from these reissues that make them so sought after?
    Specs?
    Owners Photos?

Thanks to anyone that can contribute!
  2. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Sponsored by Jagermeister Supporting Member

There is a photo thread dedicated to the Fullerton Club. Search for that one. Sadly, I no longer own my old Jazz, but plan to get another someday.

The AVS started with the Telecaster guitar about late 81, then the rest of the models spanned from 82-84 when CBS sold off Fender.
    Serials would be V000xx to about the end of V015xxx, maybe there are some V016's?
    Basic colors then: Burst, white, black, fiesta red, candy apple red, lake placid blue.
    Distinctions were, these were made mostly by hand using the old pin-router jigs the old ones were made from. Unlike CNC the FMIC ones were cut from. You can see the headstock slope curvature where the rosewood meets the maple, the deep gracious body contours, the slightly more slender neck shape, and the decal positioning was correct (FMIC was incorrect).
  3. Dwight

Dwight

I had an '82 "57 Stratocaster". The neck edges were sharp enough to hurt my hand. The notes would fret out by the 12th fret. The body (black) had some minor unsightly bumps starting to show through. The pickups were great and the case was like today's re-issue but with much thicker fuzz. I can't vouch for authenticity, but recent AVRI are much better IMHO. I've got a new AVRI '62 Strat, Tele and Jazz bass. These new guitars are great!
  4. ad9000

ad9000 Supporting Member

I bought a sunburst '62 Jazz reissue new in '82, and sold it around 8 years later. I've played many reissues from that era, both J's and P's, and I also have owned a fair number of real pre-CBS basses (currently only a '65 P and '64 J).
    My Fullerton '62 Jazz was a pretty nice axe, and definitely well made, but not nearly as true to the old ones in appearance, feel and sound as the recent Fender Custom Shop basses. Maybe there is some mythologizing going on because of the relative rarity of the Fullerton reissues, but I don't see them as being amazing instruments. I think they were very appealing at the time because of how far astray Fender had gotten by 1981, and it was also the first time Fender had really acknowledged the intrinsic value of their history by going back to the older designs.
  5. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Some say they were the BEST made basses since the pre-CBS era (or even in Fender history).

And some say they are way overpriced (asking prices upwards of $2500 to 3k nowadays). I've never played one, but if I ever got one, it would have to be a great deal, because if I'm dropping $3K on a Fender, I'll just save up for the real thing.
  6. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

In my experience, the Fullerton reissues are much cooler than the later models. Perhaps you just got a bad one.
  7. JimB52

JimB52 User Gold Supporting Member

The very early Fullerton basses (June to September '82 or so) had some inconsistencies. Plastic wiring, incorrect fret wire size, goopy nitro finish on a three or even four piece body. Mine frets out a little on the A string on the 18th & 19th frets, but I never venture up there anyway.
    That being said, they can be great players, sound authentic and are usually very light-weight. The finish has aged beautifully, but the body still doesn't seem entirely dry, especially on humid days.

August 9 1982 neck date. ser. # V002033
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

My Fullertons:

[​IMG]
  9. Dluxe

Dluxe Supporting Member

I bought a Fiesta Red '57 reissue used in 1985 for $300. Wish I still had that one. Here is a Jazz in LPB.

[​IMG]
  10. larryelwood

larryelwood Supporting Member

This is really great info... keep it coming. LOVE the extreme neck width on the P bass. The picture above with the jazz and P really reveals just how much wider the P neck is.
  11. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member

The color of the boards probably exaggerates it a bit, too.

Do the Fullertons have a proper nitro finish or do they also have a poly sealer/undercoat like the later AVRI's?

The checking on the headstock and body of that '57 P above is super-fantastic stuff.
  12. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

:cool:

The Early 1982-1983 Fullerton Fenders are some of the best ever.
    This is CS before there was a CS.
    What makes these bass so nice is the quality of wood in early 80's were much better than what we see now.
    I bought a 1982-1962 RI P-Bass in 1985 for $300.00. NOS
    Played that bass for 12 years before it was stolen at a Bar gig.
    As good as any vintage Fender I've ever played.

I feel the early 1982-1983 Fullerton Basses and the CS Pino-P-Bass are the closest to the original 1960's Fenders.
  13. landau roof

Bump for this question, thanks.

"Do the Fullertons have a proper nitro finish or do they also have a poly sealer/undercoat like the later AVRI's?"
  14. shrimpflea

shrimpflea

The Fullertons had the poly undercoat too but remember the original Fenders had the Fullerplast undercoat which basically is the same same thing. Sealer then nitrocellulose....that's just the way it was done.
  15. shrimpflea

shrimpflea

Actually the decal position and font were incorrect on the Fullertons....this was later fixed on the Corona reisuues.
  16. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

I have a 1983 '57 reissue. It's 1.75" for sure, but no wider than that. And the necks on these are very shallow front-to-back (definitely more shallow than the recent ones), so they're really comfortable.
  17. Caca de Kick

The positioning was fixed much much later on the Corona's. But the Fullertons were more correct from the get go on both the Jazz and Precisions.
    As far as font, even Mike Eldred explained everthing had to have a slight change because they didn't want shady people passing off reissue parts as originals.
  18. landau roof

Thanks for the info. The poly in these AVRI's is just too thick, IMO. Way, way too thick. I'm gonna refinish this thing because of it.

This is interesting. I really have to get my hands on one of these things. The necks on all the AVRI's I've played have been pretty flat. Moreso than many pre-CBS P's.
  19. PaperbackRyder

PaperbackRyder

IMO: there is no "magic" with these. Quality was inconsistent at the outset. This was a new area for Fender and I would guess that they needed some time to gauge sales, stabilize their parts supply and optimize the manufacturing process. Just normal reality of manufacturing a high volume of products using different (old) technology.

My experience: I bought an 82 62RI Jazz brand new, which I still have. It has aged beautifully, but the initial build quality was lousy. Gap in the neck pocket it can fit a medium pick into, the bridge pickup had a red bobbin which (some years later) nobody could ID as from Fender. The neck has some dead spots. The Jazz now wears a set of Fralins, it's third set of controls and a Gotoh bridge and flat wounds. I bought a new 83 57RI Pbass the next year. Decent build quality, sounded great but I hated the fiesta red and the wide nut, so I sold it.

So all that to say I wouldn't pay a premium for an older RI, unless it had some unique mojo while in my hands. The materials and workmanship of the current model lineup has excellent and consistent quality, for a decent price.
  20. Caca de Kick

I had one built in mid '84, tight pocket, great tone.
    The one red bobbin is indeed Fender, that's how these for some reason. Mine had it, and any other one I saw torn apart had them too.