1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fun, Complex Bass Lines

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Elixar17, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Elixar17

Elixar17

Hi All,

I'm looking for my next challenge! i am 16 and have just linished "Teen Town" and "Birdland" on my fretless and can play them proficiently. I love playing complex melodic bass lines, like Beatles stuff (of which i can play most of, and sing) i learn quickly and just really want to know what else is out there that's just pure fun to play while being learnt and is still fun after its been learnt!

i listen to almost all genres and am open to any style of playing or anything. i am just desperate to continue learning!

P.S. sorry if i have come across as arrogant, it was not my intention.

Cheers,
    Elixar
  2. smeet

smeet Supporting Member

Try some stuff by the Dixie Dregs.
  3. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

Mastered?

Try transcribing and playing some Garcia-Fons solo bass.

Get back to us then.
  4. SidMau

SidMau

Have you looked at Jaco's rendition of Donna Lee yet?
  5. cnltb

cnltb

You've 'mastered' these?

As has been suggested before and although it is not a 'bass line' I'd suggest you have a look at Donna Lee.
    It's not all too difficult but it fits into the Pastorius contaxt you seem to have scratched already.
    J.S Bach's Chromatic Fantasy and his cello suites may also be worth looking at.
    James Jamersons lines are usually busy and not easy to execute properly.
    Plenty for you to work through, I'm sure.
  6. PlatypusBassist

PlatypusBassist

Port Of Entry
    Punk Jazz
    Come On, Come Over
    Portrait Of Tracy
    Just a few Jaco tunes to try
  7. Jools4001

Jools4001

I wonder whether Jaco ever considered that he'd mastered these tunes?
  8. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Perhaps you can play these lines with some proficiency, however mastering these lines not only means that you can play them well but that you also have a keen understanding of their musical context, the relationship of those lines to the harmony a well as the theory that allowed Jaco to create those lines in the first place. Mastering is so much more than the ability to mimic another person's lines. Now that you can play them with some proficiency, you can START the process of mastering them.
  9. d_town

d_town

Get up and jump by the chili peppers.

Get slappin'!!
  10. flojob

flojob

Folks get over sensitive in this place. Not everyone needs to play bass for 20-30 years to appreciate, play, or master Jaco tunes. Jaco didn't even play bass until he was 13, and he was dead by 36.
    Face it, this 16 year old kid is already mastering jaco tunes.
    Also, I like the Mats-Morgan band. Never checked out the bass lines, but the music is schized out pretty good. Lots of YouTube videos from when they were young, which is the only stuff I've heard.
    Good on you for wanting a challenge.
  11. dvh

dvh Supporting Member

I think the point being made is that there is more to "mastering" than having learned songs note for note. That's not musicianship that's just mimicking.

When you can create your own line to a set of chord changes and make it sound beautiful and understand why it works, maybe then you can say "mastered".

Still, well done OP, now work on understanding why those notes work the way they do...
  12. flojob

flojob

Actually I think you just proved my point.
    You say that the kid has to be able to write beautiful bass lines in order to say he's mastered a few jaco tunes?
    But its cool.
  13. dvh

dvh Supporting Member

Define "mastered". May seem silly but language is important.
  14. flojob

flojob

I think the language is more important to you than it is me. And that's my point. Folks get hung up because he used the word mastered. Just silly. Its not really a debate. Just my opinion. Take care.
  15. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    You don't get it ... probably never will. Your so quick to call names. If you saw my resume, you would KNOW that I paid my dues and have had a great deal of success because I did!

When one states that they've "mastered" something (when they've most likely not) then, in reality the learning stops, they feel no compulsion to look deeper (read "Effortless Mastery by Kenny Werner for a more in depth discussion). A 16 year old who can play some Jaco tunes is great, but in all honesty, they're a dime a dozen, the 16 year old who UNDERSTANDS Jaco tunes is a truly rare find. I guess the OP should ask himself what does he want to do. Does he want to be a mimic or a musician. That is his choice.

A new student came to me some years back, I asked him to play something that he's been working on. The 15 year old then nails a bunch of Vic Wooten stuff. It was cool, then I said, "OK, let's just play through a simple 12 bar blues in G." A total "deer in the headlights" moment. he did not know the key of G, he did not know a 12 bar blues form and had no idea how to play it. When I asked him how he learned all the Wooten stuff, he said from Vic's instructional video. The kid was a mimic, not a musician. I am happy to say that he has turned into a wonderful musician and has played with some pretty big names.

For years I've represented manufacturers (as a demo artist) at NAMM shows, Bass Player Live (when it was in NY) and more. I've seen countless young players that have the techniques nailed. It is the very few who have the musicianship to back it up. Cats like Bubby Lewis

Be careful when you use the word "master" It has many implications. Not all of them are positive
  16. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito

I don't believe the OP stated that he had mastered the bass, or even mastered Jaco. Rather, he stated that he had mastered two songs. Most would read that as "I know how to play these two songs" and nothing more.

Fellas, you need to unclench a bit...........
  17. eukatheude

eukatheude

I used to say the same at 16, when i was just a really mediocre player with some mild chops. I'd wager he has never recorded himself.
    And no, i'm not claiming i'm an awesome bassist now.
  18. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I think the OP is a bit ego laden, and will therefore instigate some harsh responses. "I'm 16, mastered a couple of jaco tunes, and know like 150 Beatle tunes. Challenge me!" Hmm... I could think of better ways to put that out to a bunch of fellow bass players, if it is in fact sincere.

Also... if you listen to everything, learned that many songs in such a short period of time, and "mastered" jaco, then me thinks you already know what's out there as much as or more than many here.
  19. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

Try "Flight of the Bumblebee" if you are into technique.

etc...
  20. ZachariahLee

ZachariahLee

I don't really have any suggestions of other songs. My challenge would be to create your own, or possibly learn another song that you like without the help of any visual aids (tabs, sheet music, or video aids). To me this is the challenging part. Being creative and playing 100% by ear.

Don't sweat the other guys "beating you up" over your choice of words. Kuddos on getting through such boring songs.

(The above was me mastering sarcasm, but only in good humor.)

Don't sweat the other guys "beating you up" over your choice of words. I know it took a lot of work to get through those songs.

(A proper change in wording can help prevent such backlash, but honestly it's still fun to be a lil rude, LOL)