1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fundabirds - What should I build?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by reverendrally, Feb 5, 2013.

1. reverendrally

reverendrally

OK, so Weemac swapped me some T-bird parts for a cab and of course I got some crazy ideas. :hmm

[​IMG]

I'm gonna build a "mating pair" of non-reverse T-birds. One fretless, one fretted. The question being; "what sort of birds should I build?"

Help me choose from... :help
    A. 30, 32, 34" scale
    B. 1, 2 or 3 pickups
    C. Jarrah or Vic Ash for fingerboard
    D. Chambered or Solid body
    E. Silky oak, Vic ash or both laminated together
    F. Tune-o-matic, fender or floating bridge (with tailpiece)
    G. Vol, Vol/Tone, Straight to jack wired.
    H. Regular or reverse headstock.
    I. Bolt on or set neck
    J. 17, 19 or 21 frets

So, tell me your dream setup out of these. I will choose two and build them Who know's I may just choose your setup. :cool:
  2. Gabeja15

Gabeja15 Supporting Member

I would avoid chambering the body, thunderbirds tend to neck dive enough as it is

Also, do a 1-pickup fretless and a three-pickup fretted with a two-piece hipshot bridge
  3. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered 8er Supporting Member

Fretless:

A. 32
    B. 1 (in the sweet spot)
    C. no idea
    D. solid, but thin and beveled
    E. whatever is prettier
    F. floating wooden bridge
    G. vol/tone
    H. regular
    I. set neck
    J. frets?

Fretted:

A. 34
    B. 3 (Lemmy style)
    C. no idea
    D. solid, but thin and beveled
    E. whatever is prettier
    F. tune-o-matic
    G. rotary pickup selector/kill switch wired straight to jack
    H. reverse
    I. whatever's easier
    J. 21
  4. NKBassman

NKBassman Supporting Member

Do one (preferrably the fretted one) in 32" scale with Rickenbacker style electronics.
  5. reverendrally

reverendrally

What do you mean by Ric electronics? Controls or pickups. Coz I already have 4 t-bird pickups.
  6. fjadams

fjadams Supporting Member

Help me choose from... :help
    A. 30, 32, 34" scale: Anything over 30" is just wasting wood.
    B. 1, 2 or 3 pickups: Fretted with pickups at middle and bridge, unfretted with pickups at neck and middle.
    C. Jarrah or Vic Ash for fingerboard: I prefer maple, but that's just me.
    D. Chambered or Solid body: With a 30" neck it could be chambered.
    E. Silky oak, Vic ash or both laminated together:
    F. Tune-o-matic, fender or floating bridge (with tailpiece): Floating with tailpiece.
    G. Vol, Vol/Tone, Straight to jack wired.: Volume / Blend / Stellartone DuoTone. it's not a ToneStyler, just a dual tone pot that you can get the caps in whatever range you want.
    H. Regular or reverse headstock.: Reverse, with the 30" neck it gives the "E" string a longer stretch.
    I. Bolt on or set neck: With a bolt on you can always change things at a later time.
    J. 17, 19 or 21 frets: 21, those necks just feel right.
  7. NKBassman

NKBassman Supporting Member

Oh yeah, I meant 2 pickups in Ric locations. Stereo output jack optional ;)
  8. reverendrally

reverendrally

Thanks for all your input guys. Of all the ideas, CT's came closest to the sort of things I was thinking...

The difference being, I'm gonna build both with 32" scale. I wanted to go shorter scale, but I'm thinking I want some of the long-scale sustain still. The flowerbass taught me I could have both with 32" scale on it. I don't want 34" to make it a little more playable and to reduce neckdive.

Other thing being, I'm gonna go with a bolt-on on the fretted. I'm also going to trying use some pine from an old church pew for at least one of the basses. For the fretless, I'm going to try and put the PU in the MM position rather than the P position.

I'd also like to run with the contrasting colours thing that was suggested.

Anyhow, waiting on a body trace from JIO (thanks man) and then a little money for some parts and off we go! Expect pics and a build diary. :)
  9. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered 8er Supporting Member

Woohoo! What do I win? First dibs on deflowering them perhaps? :bassist:
  10. reverendrally

reverendrally

um, so much wrongness in that sentence... :meh: but I think the answer is yes. I'll let you know when to buy your airline ticket. ;)