1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Funk/Slap

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by grunge_freak, Mar 11, 2014.

1. grunge_freak

grunge_freak

I've been a rock/jazz/metal bassist for my entire life. And for the longest time I've felt like a thoroughly well rounded bassist because I can play a healthy dose of jazzy, thumpy finger style walking bass lines and then kick in my distortion, use a pick and absolutely shred.

But lately I've been listening to alot of red hot chili peppers and primus (I'm sure you know what's coming...) and needless to say, hearing the ridiculously cool bass lines that Flea and Les Claypool lay down made me realize that all these years I never have even really applied myself to learning how to do slap/funk. So my question is, where do I start? What's the technique? My main bass is an Epi Thunderbird and it's not too good for slapping, but surprisingly I just restrung an old P-Bass copy that I have and it takes really well to the little slapping that I have just now tried on it. Any recommendations are welcome cause I know nothing!

2. Cornel

Cornel

hey grunge_freak

Go Youtube, lotsa interesting bass teachers out there (e.g. MarloweDK), start playing Bernard Edwards lines, Larry Graham, Bootsie, Marcus Miller, Stanley Clarke to name a few.

Saludos from Argentina

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yep, keep listening to records. You got the skills apparently, so it's just a matter of learning the style.