1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Funky Christian music?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Mike M., Apr 14, 2011.

1. Mike M.

Mike M.

I'd like some examples of Christian music that's in a funkier vein, if such a thing is out there.

I'm sure it is, just don't know who to look for.

Thanks.
  2. EdMerc

EdMerc

3. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Fred Hammond. Get Pages of Life. It is as funky as it gets!
  4. vivifiction

vivifiction

When you say "Christian music", are you referring to Worship bands or the more cross-over Christian bands? It may not be funky in the typical sense, but the band MuteMath definitely has a bit of funk in 'em. They're original stuff isn't worship-oriented, but they do have a worship CD called "elevator music" that's floating around somewhere.
  5. sammyp

sammyp

some Lincoln Brewster stuff is reasonably funky, bluesy etc...
  6. Dr_Funkdamental

Dr_Funkdamental

7. crack-boom

crack-boom

8. praisebass

praisebass

9. Bigjohn

Bigjohn

You can approach your yearning for funk in at least two ways:

1. Theological rationalization
    God created and owns everything. God has given all things to Christ his son. Christ lives in and through his church which includes (and is) you. Therefore all funky rockin' music is yours, including Sir Psycho Sexy and other masterpieces of Blood Sugar Sex Magik by the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

2. Cut to the chase
    Just listen to awesome funky rockin' music like Sir Psycho Sexy and other masterpieces of Blood Sugar Sex Magik by the Red Hot Chili Peppers because it kicks butt and you will end up listening to it anyways so why not now?

That is if you haven't already, in which case you probably won't be satisfied the christian-stamped stuff.
    Just sayin'.

10. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer Supporting Member

11. ac3320

ac3320

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: 1964 EARS, LLC.
    Check out Salvador. Their studio stuff is decent, but their best album is their live one.

Really they have more of a Latin-crossover vibe vs. funk, but I don't think there's much Christian funk out there. Funk music doesn't really lend itself to CCM or even gospel, so it's probably not really prominent (at least in the 'pop' sense of Christian music).

Lincoln Brewster has a few really groovy/funky tracks out there, but Everybody Praise the Lord is his best example of something kinda funky (as a previous poster stated). The studio version is actually better and not so subdued as the live one I linked (though, something tasteful in the restraint of the song I suppose...compared to the studio version).

But again, it's kind of relative to call these couple tracks funk music. You're not going to get any Sly or James Brown style Christian music haha... If you did find some it would probably be obscure, though would surely fit better than the Jesus-metal terribleness that plagued Christian music over the past 10 years. How anyone could see Jesus in that mess really baffles me. IMO right there of course....
  12. Dr_Funkdamental

Dr_Funkdamental

Do you listen to gospel? Just askin...:confused:
  13. SketchMan3

SketchMan3

Yeah... if you want funky Christian music, the Black Gospel music scene is full of funk. I don't know about the CCM side of things... Fred Hammond, Byron Cage, and a whole host of other gospel artists use a lot of funk influences in their music. Also see Kirk Franklin and the Katinas.
  14. nutdog

nutdog Supporting Member

15. dukeorock

dukeorock Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Authorized fEARful/FEARLESS/greenboy designs builder
    Depends on your definition of funk, but Adam Again's "Homeboys" record is seriously funky and one of the most underrated CCM records of all time...some Charlie Peacock stuff was pretty funky...
  16. ac3320

ac3320

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: 1964 EARS, LLC.
    Uhm, Yes. ... (?) :/

I wasn't saying there is no "Funk" in gospel style Christian music (I thought as much was clear but apparently not)... I was merely suggesting that if one wanted to find super funk-ish influences like 'it's all about the one' type stuff (James Brown), you'd be hard-pressed to find it in the context of Christian music.
  17. dukeorock

dukeorock Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Authorized fEARful/FEARLESS/greenboy designs builder
    ADAM AGAIN "HOMEBOYS"...brilliant AND funky
  18. HeadyVan Halen

HeadyVan Halen

19. totallyfrozen

totallyfrozen

Yes, but the request was specifically for Christian funk music. Therefore, it's more than reasonable to assume that the Chrsitian element is of primary concern. In other words, it's probably more important for the OP that the music is Christian than it is that it's funk. Otherwise, the specification of Christian wouldn't have been made. We all already know there is funk music out there. The request was made specifically for Christian funk.
    ...and I think Bigjohn missed the point entirely. :bag:

Also, I think you could be surprised at what's coming out of Nashville these days. Modern Christian music is a WHOLE lot better than it used to be. Every year it gets better and better...and more varied.
  20. JoZac21

JoZac21

Check out the band "New Direction"... they definitely fall into the category of "Contemporary Gospel"... they're also a "youth band"... but they're pretty effin' funky too... and yes, my sig reads right... I'm a straight up atheist... but I love good gospel... deal.