1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Funky/Dancey blues tunes

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by bigboy_78, Dec 11, 2013.

1. bigboy_78

bigboy_78 Supporting Member

I’ve started backing a singer who wanted to do something “different”, by different she means not classic rock/80s pop/pub rock stuff.

Problem is she is starting to realise that the reason not many people do anything “different” is a) people like to hear familiar songs. b) most musicians already know the “regular” stuff, so it’s easy to throw together 40 or 50 songs in a short space of time.

After 3 month’s working through the same 5 or 6 songs, and cycling through a few keys & guitarist, we’re starting to realise that we’re probably best suited to playing blues, and there does seem to be a hole in our market for blues bands. Real blues bands, not Rock guys who think playing SRV covers makes you a blues band.

Can anyone suggest a few good blues tunes, that are also funky/groovy/danceable. Instrumentation is Female Vox/Bass/Guitar/Drums./Percussion and maybe harmonica.

The 5 songs we can play, to give you an idea of our general direction and skill-set.

Give me one reason – Tracey Chapman (our guitarist is still struggling to get this simple groove)
    Spooky – Dusty Springfield
    Got My Mojo Working
    Big Bad Handsome Man – Imelda May
    Johnny Got a Boom-Boom – Imelda May
    Fever
    Some Kind of Wonderful – singer wants Joss Stone, but the band prefer Grand Funk.

I’m starting to think the problem is our guitarist has no groove, he’s a bit of a chugga-chugga blues dude.

Anyway……….

TLDR – Dancey (not Texas Rock) Blues song suggestions please.
  2. nojj

nojj Guest

Couple artists I'd look at are Delbert McClinton, Coco Montoya, the Boneshakers, and Bugs Henderson.
    (Check out Delbert's duet on Some Kind of Wonderful)
  3. Phalex

Phalex Yeah, I've got the moves like Jagger. Supporting Member

4. tbirdsp

tbirdsp Supporting Member

I recently quit a bluesy band with a great female singer. Started playing in a cover band that was way more busy. I had many song suggestions that were ignored (one reason I quit). I tried to get them to do Imelda May - no dice. Here's some stuff that was on my list - not all well known or real blues though, and might not suit your instrumentation:
  5. bigboy_78

Some winners in there. A few I'd never heard, Aretha's version The Weight, Irma Thomas and Clairy Brown are the goods.

We might not pull them off, but at least I've found some new tunes to listen to.
  6. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Sorry to say, if after 3 months he can't play "gimme one reason" he's probably holding you back.
  7. bigboy_78

Yeah it's a shallow talent pool around here, but he's better than the keyboard player who still had the names of the notes written on the keys and struggled with the black keys.
  8. nojj

nojj Guest

somebody should put the poor fella out of his misery.........
  9. GlennW

GlennW Supporting Member

Here's one.
  10. tbirdsp

That's one of the five he said they already do! :D
  11. GlennW

GlennW Supporting Member

I missed that, my bad.

TB protocol - reply without reading the entire OP. :D

How about Cha-Cha-Chain of Fools, by 'Retha? Some swampy soul music.
  12. tbirdsp

Koko Taylor

Also Susan Tedeschi solo or her with Tedeschi-Trucks Band
  13. COBRARI

COBRARI

Koko Taylor for sure.

Check out Saffire "the uppity blues woman".

I don't know if it is on YouTube but listen to "Don't do it" by Saffire and you will see why I suggested her.
    Good Luck.