1. Welcome to the premier online community and classifieds for bass players!

Register a free account to post, remove lots of ads, and more!

Funky plucking tunes

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by BnG87, Dec 5, 2013.

1. BnG87

BnG87

Jun 29, 2013
    What are some fun songs to develop finger funk with? I've checked out most of the staples (Jaco, TOP, etc) but I'm trying to put together a list of song names for myself and my students to work with. Particularly a consistent 16th pulse on the plucking hand, kind of like "What Is Hip". Any suggestions? Intermediate - expert level would be best.
    Thanks!:help::bassist:

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    "Barbary Coast"- Jaco's tune from Black Market.

Gary Willis ("Face First") & Paul Jackson ("Palm Grease", "Actual Proof") would be others with that style of finger funk.

Back in the day, "Cut The Cake" by AWB was a good one for me...although it has more space than the consistent 1/16th note thing you're after.

3. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    Cake - I Will Survive. Not 16ths but constant 8ths with some 16ths thrown in. A good intro to that style that's a little easier:

4. BnG87

BnG87

Jun 29, 2013
    Thanks! I'll check those out!

5. Sponsored by:

6. Francis Rocco of Tower of power.

7. Rhcp - parallel universe. 16th notes galore

8. so much oil in the ground - Tower Of Power

9. bass12

bass12 Fueled by chocolate Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    "Talking Loud And Saying Something" by Incognito.

10. Jamerman

Jamerman

Apr 8, 2013
    I think it might be a keyboard playing it, but the bassline to "Chameleon" by herbie hancock is very funky

11. superfly8564

superfly8564

Sep 23, 2013
    you say develop? Listen to Bootsy on "We want the Funk" Learn how to play it and then work on phrasing it properly. I like the Tower of Power and Mark King references. Another to try is "Come On, Come Over" by Weather Report.

12. benc22341

benc22341

Mar 29, 2012
    I agree with Tower of Power tunes. I recently got Anthony Vitti's fingerfunk workout books. Some great exercises in there - lot of strange fingerings, tricky rhythms, etc. As an added bonus, no tabs - helps with reading.