1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Funky plucking tunes

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by BnG87, Dec 5, 2013.

1. BnG87

BnG87

What are some fun songs to develop finger funk with? I've checked out most of the staples (Jaco, TOP, etc) but I'm trying to put together a list of song names for myself and my students to work with. Particularly a consistent 16th pulse on the plucking hand, kind of like "What Is Hip". Any suggestions? Intermediate - expert level would be best.
    Thanks!:help::bassist:
  2. JimK

JimK

"Barbary Coast"- Jaco's tune from Black Market.

Gary Willis ("Face First") & Paul Jackson ("Palm Grease", "Actual Proof") would be others with that style of finger funk.

Back in the day, "Cut The Cake" by AWB was a good one for me...although it has more space than the consistent 1/16th note thing you're after.
  3. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member

Cake - I Will Survive. Not 16ths but constant 8ths with some 16ths thrown in. A good intro to that style that's a little easier:

4. BnG87

BnG87

Thanks! I'll check those out!
  5. musomark

musomark

6. phangtonpower

phangtonpower

Francis Rocco of Tower of power.
  7. MazingerZ

MazingerZ

Rhcp - parallel universe. 16th notes galore
  8. maturanesa

maturanesa

so much oil in the ground - Tower Of Power
  9. bass12

bass12 Fueled by chocolate Supporting Member

"Talking Loud And Saying Something" by Incognito.
  10. Jamerman

Jamerman

I think it might be a keyboard playing it, but the bassline to "Chameleon" by herbie hancock is very funky
  11. superfly8564

superfly8564

you say develop? Listen to Bootsy on "We want the Funk" Learn how to play it and then work on phrasing it properly. I like the Tower of Power and Mark King references. Another to try is "Come On, Come Over" by Weather Report.
  12. benc22341

benc22341

I agree with Tower of Power tunes. I recently got Anthony Vitti's fingerfunk workout books. Some great exercises in there - lot of strange fingerings, tricky rhythms, etc. As an added bonus, no tabs - helps with reading.