Funniest "bass lesson" EVER!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by plarry, Nov 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plarry

plarry

Are you in for a good laugh?

Watch the 2 vids in the following order:

I wouldn't be surprised that we be "offered" a "Bass Monster Formula" someday! ;)

Seriously!
  2. wcnewby

wcnewby Supporting Member

I would say the bass player bought whatever the guy in the shaky mountain video was selling. Either that or the bass player is his son.
  3. plarry

plarry

I don't know if he bought everything from the internet "guru" but, obviously, he wants to make big big big bucks too and learned all his stuff by heart! ;)
  4. kcole4001

kcole4001

Could only make it through (at most) 30 seconds of either video.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. AuBassMan

AuBassMan

Uhhh...the "bass player" is Scott Devine and he has at least a hundred FREE instructional videos on youtube....he also is a member here.
  7. plarry

plarry

Yep, but he sells stuff on his website too and more will come, probably. Nothing wrong with that! What's funny though is the way he does it, no offense: give-give-give, grow a big list of subscribers and then poorly ape the internet "gurus" in a way that's pretty ludicrous, using the exact same "mental triggers"... "you know, I was like you, I've been there... I'm not an overnight success... baby steps... And if I can do it, YOU can do it, provided you buy my stuff". Nothing new under the sun but again, it's so obvious and poorly done that I pixxed my pants off!

That said, I learnt stuff from him and made donations on his website, I'm not a monster! Just not totally blind and easy to manipulate. Again, no big deal and nothing personal, I find it laughable, that's it.
  8. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

I get what the OP is saying.

Scott has given a lot for free, and if he simultaneously decides its time to make a few bucks, it's more than understandable.

I'm not so sure his intentions are to be manipulative so much as its designed to give motivation to frustrated beginners who may otherwise give up.
    He's essentially telling his audience that their struggles are normal, learning is hard for everyone including some of the greatest players in history.
    Many musicians are gifted, but even the true savant, doesn't know everything.
  9. plarry

plarry

Hey, don't get me wrong, 1SHOT1HIT! I don't mean to make it controversial, God forbid!!! ;) It's just that I find it hilarious when you superimpose the two vids or rather watch Scott's one after the other marketing guy's.

And you're darn right, there's nothing wrong with making a few bucks or even a few thousand bucks. It's just the "form", not the "substance"...

That said, if you ask me (I know you don't ;) ) I prefer the way guys like MarloweDK or Dmanlamius, to name only two, who also give A LOT for free, sell their products. They don't look as if they study internet marketing tricks night and day and apparently that serves them well. But it's just my personal taste! Internet marketers make me laugh my head off (when I'm in the right mood!) and the guys, any guys & gals who ape them make me laugh even more! ;)
  10. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Accuracy, Carvin, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    You'll have to really work to top this! Dynamic Bass!
    ). I did hang and listen and he seems to be really encouraging to a struggling student-so I've got nothing negative to say about it.
    BTW, Aram is obviously having a bit of fun with the whole instructional video concept with Dynamic Bass.
  11. wcnewby

wcnewby Supporting Member

It is a technique that works because humans are human. The man in the shaky mountain video probably has a package that you can buy, his method, of selling stuff on line. This Scott guy bought the package, and it seems he is doing well with it. He used the exact same techniques as the guy in the shaky mountain video. Now we know who he is.

Is there anything immoral about it. NO. It is what it is.

Far, far, far, far far, more interestingly... Music has effects on people just like well chosen words. Our bass catches the listeners ear, if done properly, and their heart synchronizes with it. That and the drums. There have been studies on this, heart synchronization between chorus singers. Their hearts "beat as one" when they sing. If you look at a concert, people move to the beat, their beat, your beat.... hearts. Literally capturing hearts.

Once they are entrained, you can use sounds to modify their mood, if you learn what does what, you can do this... Just like the guy in the shaky mountain video and Scott.

Find the buttons, and the cows will come. Sure it isn't nice when you say it like that. Unfortunately in life you have to decide if you want to be nice, or have money. It is a rare thing to get both. Thankfully, I have a job where I make money being nice. My bosses do not.(but they are nice to me)
  12. plarry

plarry

Excellent! Thanks, Man! ;)

But, as you say, it has absolutely nothing to do with Scott's vid: Scott's not trying to "hard-sell" a product here. Again, he is just aping an internet billionaire, sometimes word for word, playing with our emotions in the exact same manner, which I find hilarious, nothing less, nothing more. It doesn't mean his other vids are crap, just this one, IMHO. But let's leave it at that, no big deal really! Almost everything can be "controversial", be it the way people sell their stuff, music genres, basses, straps, you name it! ;)
  13. chriss

chriss

Did anyone else notice this in the comments section at Scotts Video?

"Scott is correct! Little baby steps is the way to go when it comes to learning how to improve. I teach the same concept and I am SO PLEASED that you use this concept as well. Well done Scott. Best from Jeff "

PlayersSchoolofMusic 2 months ago
  14. plarry

plarry

Yes, chriss; I did!

But nobody here is arguing against the "baby steps concept", certainly not me! Little by little, bit by bit, one step at a time, progress-plateau-regression-progress, I think many of us know the story and those who don't need to be told. As for Jeff Berlin, I'm almost sure he would have a good laugh if he watched the other vid by the other Jeff. And perhaps he would endorse the one who wrote the original! ;)

Okay... taking baby steps is the way to go (even when working on Giant Steps) and there's excellent stuff on Scott's channel. Can we agree on that? ;)
  15. chriss

chriss

I didn't point that out to prove a point. There should be no question that baby steps, or whatever term you want to use to describe the initial learning process, are essential in any discipline.

I just thought it was nice to see such a positive and supportive comment.

As far as the marketing aspect of what Scott does that's ok by me. I am enjoying his videos (I am working through the pentatonic series now). He communicates in a pleasant manner and he seems to have a sincere desire to help others grow and develop. To be that sort of teacher it has to be a part of your identity and I appreciate that.
  16. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

no offense but i just dont get the donation concept, it is just another trick to manipulate people IMO.
  17. AuBassMan

AuBassMan

Hmmmm....guess I was tricked and manipulated into donating to TB and being a supporting member.
  18. rimbaud

rimbaud

Ok so... it's not because Scott isn't well known in the US that he doesn't play as a real killer. In fact, he IS really well known in Europe, in Asia too, in Australia too.. and many TBer's find on his website what they need.... for free !! as me :bag:

It's not new, MarloweDK done that before him, in the same way, but the forum didn't work as well as Scott's one? why ?

Both Marlowe and Scott sell things, they both are making a lil' biz' with thier website, but, that's not what really make them live: they gig, they tour, doing concerts and clinincs, playing on tv, etc...

About the community ? I'm a proud member of that community, and I never bought anything !! :D and you can find there really cool guys coming from Sweden (there's a real swedish killer bass player there) or Italy. And we do not always agree about everything (you know... tastes, apples and oranges :D )

They are all coming from different countries and it's growing. The reason is simple: when someone gives you the information you need in a simple way, and better.... an enthousiastic way ! avoiding hermetic thoughts, I bet he can have many "disciples".

But hey guys, if you want to come here and share with us all you think about bass, it's right there: http://forums.scottsbasslessons.com/index.php
  19. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

20. rimbaud

rimbaud

Oh god that's terrible your are right willbassyeah.... he should have never used the word donate like that...

As I should not invite a women to retaurant if I want to... anyway there's a stupid robot on TB so you should understand my thoughts without donating me :D
  21. plarry

plarry

chriss, again, don't get me wrong: I'm in no way saying that selling or "marketing" stuff for a living is EVIL. Even ideas have to be "sold" ;).

I'm just making fun of the way it's sometimes done. And I'm not always making fun of it: when unscrupulous marketers play with our emotions, fears, self-doubt, etc., which some do pretty much all the time, when they're obviously looking for "desperate buyers" and make them feel even more desperate, I don't feel like just making fun of it.

That was ok by me until a couple of months ago, but I've noticed a shift in the "communication processes" that I'm not totally comfortable with. Want an example? Here's one:
    http://scottsbasslessons.com/special-announcement

That's the page you're redirected to when you try to reach the homepage and have no cookie in your browser (new visitor, other computer or browser). By Google's terms (and mine), it's called a "sneaky redirect": the link on which you've clicked doesn't bring you to the page you expected. Not cool.

I have nothing against the "donation concept" in itself. As I said before, I've made several donations on the site because I found very valuable information on it, and things that I still practice today. But again, there's been a real shift over the last months, and not in the "right" direction, at least for me. Example: if you look below the latest video (Donna Lee), you'll find a download link and get... surprise!... a PDF with the first 4 bars of Donna Lee. If you want to see more, all you have to do is go to the donation page and donate 20 bucks! Oh... sorry, you'll get another big present-for-YOU-my-friend: 3 mp3s playing... wait for it... a metronome @40, 80 and 160bpm! Now I know that it's just one click away from Youtube, but when I discover the "special treat", I can only think that I've been taken to the site only to sign me up to the newsletter and being put in a "sales funnel".

To top it all, I was saying at the beginning of this thread that "I wouldn't be surpised that we be offered a 'Bass Monster Formula' someday"... I hadn't read that on Facebook yet:

"More fun in the studio creating a brand new course for ScottsBassLessons... it'll include 5 hours of video lessons... coming soon...'The Groove Formula'!!! "

Get prepared to see Jeff Walker's "Product Launch Formula" in action real soon!

Sincerely, I'm just ok-ish with that... I'm less bothered by a real obvious shark... at least you know what to expect and adjust accordingly. The cool guy stuff... a bit "cloak and dagger", nope?

I do like some of Scott's vids A LOT, really, and I used to be grateful to him and showed my gratitude by making regular donations, but now it would require a good dose of "blind worshipping" not to say "Hey Man! we want you back! What happened to you? Made big bucks and want more more more?". Sorry, NO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.