Funny CL ad: "bassist available. without a bass"

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by fbny71, Feb 19, 2014.

1. fbny71

fbny71

I got a kick out of this.

Quote:

bassist available for band and/or gigs. without a bass...
    don't ask a million questions. tell me what studio you're at and when. please have a bass there. i play. you like? i stay. you don't, i go.

inf: floyd, classic rock, funk.

[i told you mf's. don't ask stupid questions.]

The kind of emails i answer: "hey we're rehearsing in midtown (hence the location in the ad. tomorrow. 3pm. studio ... there's a bass there you can use... hope to see you there... "

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/muc/4321161691.html

2. kesslari

kesslari Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Perhaps there are some truly desperate bands... mf's who don't be asking stupid questions

3. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

4. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Would you sign up for this gig on CL with the promise of another low paying gig, maybe throw in a meal?

Need musicians for a low paying gig now!! (2 hours from cherry hill)
    Looking for guitarist and bass player who can learn 8-12 popular songs and play them on mar. 1st at 12:00. Gig pays $25 per person. Im willing to drive and we will carpool in my car. This will be exposure for future gigs, there will be a restaurant owner at the party who may invite us to play at his restaurant. Other gigs available but this gig is neccesary to play the other gigs.
    do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. fbny71

fbny71

$25 to learn let's say ten songs, then lose a day- two hours each way and at least an hour for the gig- for the possibility of future gigs...I don't think so!

7. higain617

higain617

Just like the ad says: if you provide the bass and no questions, I'll be there.

8. fbny71

fbny71

I think the world needs more mf's who don't be asking stupid questions!

9. BoxcarWilbur

BoxcarWilbur Cayo Supporting Member

Man.... this dude means business. Hopefully i can get him to come down to practice with me and the rest of the guys in our heavy metal air guitar band. Heck....he doesn't even need a bass with us! Must be destiny.

10. negativefx

negativefx complete hack Gold Supporting Member

11. Joebarnes

Joebarnes

I read once when Pat Smear was in the Germs he would just show up at the gig and borrow the opening band's guitars and amps.

12. steelbed45

steelbed45 TRemington

This looks like an NFL contract next to my last "gig" offer - guy calls me on Monday as a response to a CL ad, tells me I need to have 3 hours worth of material ready for Friday and they can't pay me. I decided to let someone with more...enthusiasm for playing pick that one up.

13. fbny71

fbny71

Well...I AM going to try out for a covers band next week where all I have to do is show up and will be handed equipment to play on. Since it is a work day I am going to take advantage of that and not carry one of my basses with me!

14. Kragnorak

Kragnorak

Did they ask any stupid questions? If not, you're good to go!

15. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Quite a few local CL ads for bass players say equipment is provided. I figure if a band needs to provide equipment for a member, they have fairly low expectations.

16. invader3k

invader3k Supporting Member

Seems like singers often expect to have a full PA and a microphone provided.

17. Stewie26

Stewie26 Gold Supporting Member

Yep...they are the guy or gal that gets the most attention and sometimes glory from the audience. In most cases, they have the least amount of $$$ invested in playing. It is what it is. Just another fine example that the world is not fair.:crying:.

18. figginalarmguy

figginalarmguy

umm...singers show with out, mic, cables, mixer, stands, did i miss something oh yea p.a speakers, amp..
    have ads here in n.h. and ma on cl just bring bass or use ours
    showed up to a few auditions were bass amp everything there like the guy who was there left one night and fell off the face of the earth.
    have only been playing "again" for 2 years and "my gear" is better the most "pro" gear bands i go to jam with...
    as far as playing louder then the guitar play....he'll live....lol

19. dropbass

dropbass

Any legit singer should have a sound system...

20. kcole4001

kcole4001

Ha, that should narrow it down a bit...:smug:

21. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

If the only thing running through the PA was vocals, then yes, the vocalist should provide it.

But when have you ever seen an electric band that didn't mic drums/amps, run DI from instruments, stage monitors, etc?

PA is for the whole band, but yes, I've known plenty of singers who had their own equipment up to where it plugged into the PA.

As far as that goes, I've got everything I need to mic my cab, and a DI box just in case.