Furman Power Conditioner

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by thunder_dan, Feb 5, 2014.

1. thunder_dan

thunder_dan

Greetings,
    I'm assembling a rack. I have a wireless system going into a tuner, into a Sansamp RPM. I'm fairly satisfied with my sound as I don't require much in the way of effects, especially with this current project. I'm having trouble finding a suitable method of powering all 3 devices without having to buy a power conditioner. If I did, I would have to send back the 3 space rack and trade up for the 4 space! Pain in the neck. Do I really need a power conditioner, or should I try and cram a 3 prong extension cord in the rack case?? Any thoughts? Experience in either??? Thanks!
  2. Slough Feg Bass

Slough Feg Bass

use the furman or some other power conditioner.
    it really helps when you are at some places with older circuits.
  3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

4. DogBone

DogBone

Ever wonder why combo users or those that run heads/cabs never seem to need power conditioners?
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    A power conditioner does nothing that a decent power strip with a little basic noise filtering can't do. However, it does make wiring up rack gear a little tidier, so if you end up going for one, just get the cheapest one and you're as good to go than if you buy the $200 or $300 one.
  6. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I have one I got from eBay so I didn't pay full price it's a glorified power strip but it's built better than most and I would buy another if something happened to this one.
  7. thunder_dan

thunder_dan

Thanks fellas...I found a Furman conditioner for around $50 which is fair, but I already have a nice, compact, short 3 space rack which is convenient and I don't want to have to send it back and get a 4 space if I don't have to. After reading all your comments, I suppose I'll try and screw a smaller, power strip in the rack case so I can save myself the postal headaches in returning the case and finding room on top of my amp!
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'm with you there. A smaller rack is a happier rack.
  9. thunder_dan

thunder_dan

And a Happier Back!!!
  10. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

you could mount/epoxy/screw down a small surge protected power strip into the back of the 3 space rack to keep it small.
  11. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

I only have a Furman in my (smaller rig's) rack because of the outlets and the lights. Both very handy at gigs. Not because of any "power conditioning bs", oh and, uh...both the rack and Furman were given to me by my guitarist for free, so yeah...

If you must keep the extra space, I would just velcro a power strip in there.
  12. thunder_dan

thunder_dan

I'm trying various different surge protectors laying around the house now..hopefully I can find one that fits and is comfortable with all the other power cords crammed back in there..I really hope I don't have to trade up to the 4 space and get a Furman, but I will only have to compensate for about 2 inches in diameter on the case so I guess it wouldn't be so bad to upgrade. I really want to get this right as this is the final and key component to my complete rig and I don't see myself getting any more gear in the next few years, except maybe more guitars of course!
  13. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Velcro is a good idea too.

OP: if you can't find a "small" pwr strip at home - most all the stores have them and they're cheap too.

TIP: use cable ties too
  14. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

15. Flagg

Flagg

I don't know how your rack is set up, but the Furmans are not that deep - I was able to mount one on the back rails of my rack opposite my wireless. I didn't want to sacrifice a slot or get a bigger rack. It works well, it's tidy and it's actually much more useful for me to have those pull out lights over the back of my rig to help see the DI and speaker jack connections setting up. Might be a bit of overkill but I'm very happy with my little setup.
  16. thunder_dan

thunder_dan

Thanks for the advice. I'm glad you could pull it off. I have a really shallow case (7.5" rack to rack) and hopefully I can find a power conditioner with a short depth. My tuner is only 2" deep so it shouldn't be too difficult to rack it behind that I think.
  17. seamonkey

seamonkey

I tie wrap power strips in the back, or squids if you have any wall wort's.

[​IMG]

Some squids come with locking outlets to hold things tight.