1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Furman Power

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by thunder_dan, Feb 18, 2014.

1. thunder_dan

thunder_dan

Greetings,
    After considering my options, I've decided to go with a power conditioner for my rack. I'm running it all into an old Ampeg SVT solid state head. Can I plug my amp into the power conditioner as well without having to worry about overload/overheating? New to this rack thing, any help or further advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  2. The_Janitor

The_Janitor

The Furman will be able to take anything you throw at it, amp included.
  3. thunder_dan

thunder_dan

That's what I thought, plain and simple! Thanks! Ordering now.
  4. Biggbass

Biggbass

go for it
  5. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

It's just a power strip...
  6. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

And overpriced if being purchased new.

A good power strip protects just as much.
  7. Big_Daws

Big_Daws

not quite...not when it isolates and cleanse up the power...i don't know what powerstrip does that...
  8. bassgod0dmw

Very few power conditioners do that and they cost a fortune.
  9. Geri O

Geri O

It's fine to plug in the Ampeg to your power "conditioner", ASSuming it doesn't outrun the current-supplying capacity of the unit.

But amplifiers that size usually aren't as affected by so-called dirty power (which is blown way-out of proportion) as much as consoles and FX processors. Take a look at large sound reinforcement rigs. You'll see everything but the power amps on some kind of rack-mounted power conditioning unit.

As to whether these power conditioners are worth having and make a difference, that discussion has raged on forever and will continue to do so. I use them. I like the lights and the power meters on the front. If there's a problem with the power, it needs to be repaired, not conditioned. Electricity is blamed for way more problems than is warranted. Usually, noise issues are caused more by older lighting dimmers and other sources of EMI (electro-magnetic interference).

The devices that will truly regulate power cost a LOT more than the Furman power conditioners and the like. But I'm not saying to not use them. They do offer a small measure of over-current protection in the form of a warning light or lights (on the Furman, the meter will flash when it sees 130V or more). It's always prudent to meter the electricity anywhere before we plug in our gear. Either use a VOM or at least carry one of those little devices with the 3 lights that you simply plug in to the wall outlet It will give you an "OK" or a warning in the form of the lights that indicate a problem.

Let me repeat: I think the Furmans are a good thing, more for convenience and voltage metering. And they are certainly better built than the el cheapo power strips.
  10. Big_Daws

Big_Daws

furman do i know that much. if you ever get the chance, crack one open and take a look inside...
  11. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    LOL. First off, Furman makes a "cheap crap" line and a "one step up from cheap crap" line, all the way up to pro gear. So it is bunk to say you know what Furmans do. They do a range of things, depending on what you pay for. Many of them are just a power strip in a rack box.

Secondly, cracking one open doesn't tell you much unless you are an electronic engineer or serious hobbyist. How familiar are you with power supply design?
  12. bassgod0dmw

Good idea! Let's do that...
    Yep, still looks exactly like a power strip mounted into a rack :)

A typical unit without lights:
    [​IMG]

A typical unit with lights:
    [​IMG]
  13. Geri O

Geri O

I've been looking inside Furman rack-mounted power conditioners since the day they were introduced. It, among other things related to pro audio, was my job. You don't get regulation by simply hanging an MOV across the line, which is how the cheaper units are designed.

The more expensive Furman units do. I don't have time to, nor do I care enough to explain which units do or don't. That's what the website is for.
  14. Geri O

Geri O

Nice pics and a great presentation!
  15. Big_Daws

Big_Daws

to be honest im suprised and glad to be kinda proven wrong...at least on those series...im going to take a look at a few in the series, and crack them open, but i have seen the "circuit board" (with the toroid) used for the PL-PLUS II its something like this pic...this isn't my pic and this is for the elite series (from what i could gather), but too lazy to go out of my way to take a pic and upload it to a site and post the link...much easier this way...but thanks for the education...

[​IMG]
  16. fokof

fokof Gold Supporting Member

17. Geri O

Geri O

Now this is more like it! Definitely more than a rack-mount power strip (more money, but a worthy investment!). And who cares where the pic came from, you made your point well.
  18. Frankjohnson

Frankjohnson

I have a furman and a cheaper "other" power conditioner/rack strip.

It sure makes it easier to see the rack mounted mixer with its pull out lights and then the ability to plug stuff into it is nice too.

thats all I have to say.
  19. bassgod0dmw

Saying it's a worthy investment is silly. Most modern amps will not benefit from anything these units claim to amend. The AR1215 posted above is over $500 to get some actual voltage regulation. If you think spending an additional $500 for something you don't need in the first place is a worthy investment, go for it.
  20. Big_Daws

Big_Daws

sooo power protection isn't a worthy investment??