1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Fury scorched refinish

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by nickrs540, Nov 20, 2012.

1. nickrs540

nickrs540

561473_444783332235670_819651763_n.jpg hey guys,

So I adopted this Peavey Fury for free and decided to make it my project bass.

What this will hopefully end up as is my full time outlaw country dive bar bass. This will be my simple reliable bass I can grab and not worry about it getting dinged up or scratched at bars, like my other more expensive basses.

It start with a dinged up black finish which I melted off with a butane torch and a metal scraper.

I used the butane torch because I didn't really need to be careful about scorch marks in the end. It's all part of the look.

After the strip and scorch I used a reddish/almost copper color stain and it's really turned out nicely with what I was looking for. The pictures do not bring out the detail of the grain and the red as it is in real life.

I am now in process of applying some semi gloss poly coats for the finish.

These pics are before the poly, The back is alittle closer to what it actually looks like color wise, but it's still not as "coppery".

561473_444783332235670_819651763_n.jpg

263520_444783255569011_216469923_n.jpg

I just wanted to share what I'm doing and maybe get some feedback if anyone has anything to share.

My plans for the hardware and such are still getting worked out. The neck is all maple with maple FB and is very glossy. With that In mind I'm also trying to figure out what pick guard color to choose. My step mother is a leather worker so i'm planning on getting a custom leather guard for this bass, but I can't think of what it should look like. I'm leaning twoards black....

If you guys have any suggestions or comments please feel free. :D:D:bassist::bassist:

2. Sollie7

Sollie7 Supporting Member

fury are great basses I agree with the black guard

do you plan on sticking with the original pickup?

3. nickrs540

nickrs540

I actually received the bass without any of the electronics, so I have to choose a new pup for it. Probably going fender, or the new aguilar P pup. Going for an old school country sound.

4. Smilodon

Smilodon Supporting Member

This one begs for black hardware and a dark brown leather pickguard with some burned pattern/borders. Or maybe some stitching.

I'm thinking old saloon/western look would fit perfectly. Search for some pictures from the old west and see if you can find some inspiration. :)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Country? This bass is begging for a brand. :eyebrow:

7. nickrs540

nickrs540

How did I not think of putting a brand on there. I'm gonna have to really get to work now. I'm not too good working with metal, but I bet I could figure something out.