1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fusing the upright and electric?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Guimdonatron, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Guimdonatron

Guimdonatron

Ever since I have come across Jason Moran and seen Taurus, his bassist, groove on that monster of a bass I have been on a journey to find the luthier. I was told it was Marco basses, but Marco states that it was absolutely not him (unless I found the wrong Marco luthier).

Nevertheless, I'm curious to know how he gets that tone (i.e. what about the bass physically contributes to the tone the most). I imagine high action really helps to get a thumpier tone as does the hollow body for a warm, thick sound.

Overall, I would like to know what luthier would be up to the challenge of making a bass similar to this and also what qualities would be needed to replicate it (if I were to need to tell a luthier what I need on the bass)?

Also.. please do not make this about finger technique. I play upright so I understand the "it's how you play" discussion. I would just like to get a bass similar to this under my hands if at all possible.

Thank you all for any help!
  2. Bobby King

Bobby King Supporting Member

You know, one thing I notice is that he's using a nylon tapewound string. I've had some electric uprights and used tapewounds to get a more thumpy, gut-like tone.
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  4. MD

MD

Don't know anything regarding the bass in the video, but since you play upright as well, you might like the feel and tone of a Takamine B/TB10. It has a fingerboard arch similar to the upright.
  5. Guimdonatron

Guimdonatron

Munjibunga: Thanks for the link. I actually found it right after posting this thread. Made me feel so dumb since I just said, "I asked Marco and he said it wasn't him." TOTALLY was a different Marco! I e-mailed this guy. I hope he can read English since that's my only language. Otherwise I'll have to find something out!

Bobby King: I have an electric upright actually. What kind of tapewounds are you using?

MD: Checkin' out the Takamine!